autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Werner Work Platform Safety Tip

Werner Work Platform Safety Tip

A few weeks ago I watched someone get onto a Werner Work Platform to reach a high section of a truck. I automatically looked to see if the safety latch was in place. It wasn't. I assisted the person off the platform and shared with them this tip.

ANYTIME you use a Werner Work Platform that YOU did not set-up by extending the legs and locking in place the safety latch - FIRST inspect the platform to make sure the OTHER GUY locked into place the safety latch. Otherwise the platform could collapse and take you with it.

While detailing the 2018 Bentley seen here and here, after wiping the wax off the roof I took a few moments to take a few pictures to create this thread in an effort to help others avoid getting hurt when using this commonly used platform when detailing cars.

Here's a Werner Work Platform

I just set this one up and have NOT secured the safety latch. This is what I look for anytime I see someone using one of these platforms - I look to see if the safety latch is correctly latched.

Here is the safety latch locked out of the way when not in use.

To correctly and safely use the Werner Work Platform - disconnect the latch from the storage location and secure it correctly to lock the legs in place.

It should look like this when in use.

Safety Tip

If you did not set-up a work platform - before standing on it or letting anyone else stand on it, look to see if the safety latch is correctly in place.

And do others a favor around you when you see someone using one of these platforms - simply look to see if the safety latch is running vertical, top to bottom in line with the leg. If not, carefully approach the person and assist them off the platform and then share this tip with them.

2. Thanks Diner, RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, osiapstndp liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Werner Work Platform Safety Tip

More...

And here's a way to get more use out of one of these commonly used platforms for detailing.

Short extension

Most of the time people set-up the platform to reach tall vehicles, like when washing the roof of a Tahoe. This was me getting ready to wash this Tahoe in this thread.

2 Platforms side-by-side

And even smarter, set two side by side when washing one side, (or any other work like machine buffing the roof), so you can simply walk back and forth on them instead of getting up and down and up and down to move them from end to end like you see in this review.

Real handy for washing this Ford Raptor

Here's another way to use this handy-dandy platform when you only need a few inches of height. For example when I needed to reach the middle of the roof on the Bentley.

Instead extending the legs and latching the safety latches, leave the legs collapsed. Like this,

This will give you 5.5" of height and often times that's enough to reach the top comfortably and without strain or leaning against the car.

Here's the roof on the Bentley and at 5' 11" I can reach the middle but not without standing on my tippy toe.

With the extra 5.5" I can easily and without strain reach the middle.

IMPORTANT
    I'm sharing this tip because many of you ALREADY have one of these Werner Work Platforms in your tool arsenal. While the tip above works well there is a safety issue with using the work platform in this manner. Because the legs are folded in, due to the hinge placement, there's a space of about 4 inches on the end of each side of the working side of the platform that is NOT supported.

If you step out on the end of the working surface you will tip the platform like a seesaw.

And this can cause you to fall. So THINK when using the platform this way. I've been using it like this for years without an accident but this usage is not for the lowest common denominator among us. You could create a wood block to sit under each end and that would make this a safer way to use the platform in this manner.

Also - slippage
    We use Racedeck Tuffshield tiles in our garage and they can be slippery with aluminum on them. So can a lot of concrete floors and painted floors. So to avoid having the platform slip out from under you place something rubbery under each end of the collapsed legs. I've used rubber truck floor matts with good success and also worn-out Nanoskin pads.

Just something I do for a few extra inches of height while being safe at the same time with tools I already have in the garage.

4. Thanks Eldorado2k, Diner, Bruno Soares thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great tips Mike. Way to cover all the bases.Werner Work Platform Safety Tip
    I’ve never thought about laying it flat to gain just a couple of inches of reach but I’ll definitely try that sometime. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips. I love mine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Any time a safety tip is posted, it is a GOOD thing.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why when I was in the USAF as a flightline crew chief no matter what we used we had to sign a check in /check out inspection sheet. Even on our stands we used. They taught us to pay attention to details. In our tech manuals, it was notes, cautions and warnings. Notes get your attention, cautions take a piece of you and warnings kill you. This stuck with me sinece 1986. Thanks for posting Mike.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

9. Likes PaulMys, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

good tip Mike. I'm a stickler for observing people in the work force & pointing out potential hazards. another thing to remember when you're on one of those platforms, is reach. when you're reaching over the roof your thigh is up against the side of your vehicle. the more you reach it cause your thigh to kick out your feet. which will roll back your platform or footstool. and unless you have a roof rack to grab on you're going down. hope I explained it good enough.
    Carlo

also reaching over the hood or windshield. I myself take the extra minute and go around the other side. I've had enough close calls too not push my luck.

11. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I own (2) of these Werner platforms and they are invaluable around the house. But they can become slippery when they get wet and I learned my lesson the hard way when using one when I was washing the house siding. So here's my safety tip - add an anti-slip material to the platform area that you stand on. There's a myriad of materials/options you can use for this, but a common example are the products sold to prevent slipping in the bath tub.

Such as these : https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=moen+tread

I actually used the large Moen Glacier but cut it in to several pieces (it's tub sized) in order to apply it to the platforms. The tread strips would be easier to use but I couldn't find them locally. And shop around, Lowe's price on the Glacier is almost double what I paid at my plumbing supply store that is a Moen dealer.

One final note ... as always, surface prep is key, so clean and wipe the platform with isopropyl alcohol so that the tread's adhesive adheres well.

Rob

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

I own (2) of these Werner platforms and they are invaluable around the house. But they can become slippery when they get wet and I learned my lesson the hard way when using one when I was washing the house siding.

So here's my safety tip - add an anti-slip material to the platform area that you stand on.

Rob
    Great tip Rob - I’ll check our West Marine boating supply store - I know the carry non-skid adhesive tape.

I have almost slipped of these platforms while washing tall vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

one time i was standing on the platform washing the SUV and one of the legs wasn't securely locked and it collapsed and i went down on my back and banged my head on it. it's something i double check now, it didn't feel good when it happened lol. i also use plumbing pipe insulation foam and zip ties around the whole thing (corners too). if it weren't for me doing that when i fell, i would have had a nice size dent on the passenger side door...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast