autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Werner Work Platform Safety Tip

Great tips from Mike and others. I have a Werner work platform, and it is great, but if you are looking for a one I would recommend the Gorilla Ladders Slim Fold platform. It holds more weight (up to 300 pounds - not that that is an issue for anyone here...), has self-locking legs (so nothing to check), and folds flat (so no rocking if you used it without the legs extended).

Post Thanks / Like

Mike

I'm no where as good as you when it comes to writing but I have to step in here and correct you.

You should never modify a tool to perform in a way that it was not intended. Locking the legs and watching out for others was great but putting it on the floor as platform was not a great idea and a sure way to hurt yourself. Instead you can use a stepping platform that is flat and designed for a single height adjustment.

Although they are a bit clumsy and bulky I have seen way to many accidents from falls. Last week a coworker of mine fell from a ladder while cleaning his shed roof. He has 30 stitches to the forehead, a broken toe and hematoma galore.

Thankfully he survived the fall from 15 feet at age 65. Regardless of height a fall is a fall.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

3m makes a non slip tape that you can also put on the top of these. 1 roll should be enough for one platform
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

I second the value of having at least one of these. I must be vertically challenged. I need mine for the roof of most sedans! I've been waiting for a sale to get another one.

I also used some 3M anti-skid tape on the top and the side steps. I've already had it save me a couple of times, and when my wife borrowed it to do some painting, she also commented that she felt it was significantly sager with the tape on it. I went with a version of tape that has a reflective green on it. That might have been over kill, but I feel better having the tape on there.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
    Mike

I'm no where as good as you when it comes to writing but I have to step in here and correct you.

You should never modify a tool to perform in a way that it was not intended. Locking the legs and watching out for others was great but putting it on the floor as platform was not a great idea and a sure way to hurt yourself.

Well anyone that knows me knows I've been in accidents - boat accidents and motorcycle accidents. I'm lucky to be alive and even walking, talking and typing.

I hesitated to share the way I use the Werner Work Platform for the reasons you state. I agree it's never a good idea to use a tool in a way that it's not intended. At the same time, we don't have medium height platforms that will do what the Werner Work Platforms will do so being the creative kind of person I am when trying to find a way to tackle a problem I found a way.

I'll look for a "stepping" platform that's about 8" tall lightweight and meant for standing on.

For everyone reading this - scan or read my tip because first thing tomorrow I'm going to edit my post and remove the tip that could cause some people to hurt themselves.

I completely understand the gravity of getting hurt and I also try to balance that with catering to the wise as well as the lowest common denominator among the unwashed masses. In this case, I'll hedge my bets by catering to the lowest common denominators.

Thanks for chiming in IH8SPM

6. Likes PaulMys, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I'll look for a "stepping" platform that's about 8" tall lightweight and meant for standing on.

These aren't cheap by any means, but they tick all the boxes, esp. from a safety standpoint. We use them extensively on the factory floor for machine operators to stand on.

Stationary Work Platform - 24 x 24", 7-9" Height H-5090 - Uline

Rob

8. Likes hmardown liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I second the Gorilla platform ladder mentioned above.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

10. Likes mc2hill, chris11le liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Gorilla platforms for about a year and very happy with them. I dont feel like they've gotten slippery even when soaked and I like how the legs lock into place and unlock to fold them for storage. They also feel very stable over every square inch. A great product imho

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

12. Likes mc2hill liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12