autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: From NEGLECTED to RESPECTED! 1985 Cougar Tunnel Hull Extreme Makeover at Autogeek

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post

I have a question...for the wash process....why use a wash product with carnauba in it if you knew you were going to compound and polish it?

Great question and the honest truth is this boat is part of a video to showcase the Marine 31 line of products and in the Marine 31 line of products there's only one boat wash and it's a boat wash with Carnauba wax for gloss and protection.

There's a HUGE market of boat OWNERS that would want this type of product. There's not enough of a market of boat detailers that want a product like you described for PRE detailing or prep washing. And I'm a fan of the IDEA for Prep Washes.

Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: From NEGLECTED to RESPECTED! 1985 Cougar Tunnel Hull Extreme Makeover at Autogeek

Mike and AG/LC Team - I can't imagine the SMILE on the customer's face when he/she saw their beloved boat looking like that!!!! It's too nice now to put in the water!

I used some of the products in the Marine 31 line last year, and was thoroughly impressed. More so, the staining that you removed from the hull absolutely gave the boat new life. Truly a testament to the products and the skilled team.

Wonderful job!

ScottH

3. Thanks Jason Brennan thanked for this post
    Likes Jason Brennan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thank you Tony for commenting. With over 300 views it's kind of sad, at least to me that no one seems interested enough to even make a comment? Takes time to do the work, take the pictures and then do something with them that will endure time. So THANK YOU for taking the time to comment.

I sent the link to this thread to a number of "Captains of Industry" so to speak so they could see their tools, pads and people in action. I also sent the link to the owner of the Cougar Boat Manufacturing company. Most of these people are not "forum people" so while I'm sure they will enjoy the pictures and the write-up we'll never see anything from them.

As for the boat, Russel read this and like it, I replied to his e-mail and asked him what the owner of the boat thinks, looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

I shared with Russel that when I had my Sanger Drag Boat, kind of like this boat but probably launches harder and runs faster on the water, that every 2-3 years I would completely take the boat apart, EVERYTHING came apart. Then I would get some Semi Truck Tires and get a few buddies over and we would lift the boat off the trailer and place it upside down on the tires. Then I would compound, polish and seal the bottom of the hull with Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant. After that, flip the boat back onto the trailer and meticulously re-install all the running gear and the motor. I would use all brand new grade 8 and grade 5, American made nuts and bolts with lots of nylon lock nuts.

Assembling the boat myself, re-installing each nut and bolt that holds everything together gave me the confidence and the courage to take the boat and just NAIL IT! There was only one time I didn't take my Sanger over 100 miles per hour and after 20 years, that's a LOT of high speed fun on the water.

Anyway, that's what I suggest for this Cougar Tunnel Hull. After this boating season is over, take that thing completely apart and completely clean and then re-assemble it from scratch with all brand new high quality nuts and bolts. While it's apart, flip it over and correct the bottom of the hull and then apply a ceramic coating to it.

The peace of mind if worth it.

That's fast on water over 100mph! And with that speed it's totaly understandable you do those maintance on it to be safe and trust the parts and the boat. Can only imagine the adrenalin kick you get with that speed.

Where you competing in some kind of league or race events with your boat?

The fastest I have been on water is with a very good friend of mine on his See-Doo water scooter/jet ski those that you sit on. It has a 300hp engine and top speed is around 70-80mph. But it's more to cornering or how you would explain it. So fast up to speed than top speed. It where awesome to try it and since I was not used to any of high speed or that kind of acceleration. I had a big smile after been testing it. Think it's rated to just under 4 seconds 0-60mph. Then he took over and I was looking from the land and showed the cornering ability from it. Amazing is how it was at just looking how he could push it to the limit.

These boats are they more to go fast straight forward. Or is they also capable of takeing corners fast. Maybe with another setup than the dragster boat would have or it's maybe fast when cornering. Sorry don't have the right word for turning on the water so cornering was what seemed close to describe it.

Must be very informative for the "Captains of Industry" to see what can be done with a product line like Marine 31.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by machz View Post

Nice job of recovering a very cool boat. I love some of the old fiberglass race boats. Great job on the write up as well.
    Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to comment. Makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post

The results are simply incredible. Thank you to all the folks that made this thread possible for powerboat fanatics like myself to enjoy.

I was hoping to see a custom boat cover for the trip back up north but I guess not. Pity.
    The owner owns a Crane company, I know he recently purchased this boat so a boat cover may be in the plan for the future.

A stock 150 bolted to the transom would be a handful on that rig. I can't even imagine that 300 with its jack plate and custom prop.
    I agree. Jason from Lake Country used the term,

And engine on a Potato Chip

My one time running a tunnel @ 80+ with throttle to go almost resulted in a blowover as I passed under a bridge......I threw those pants away
    I kited my boat ONE TIME - threw 7 of the 8 rods when she came out of the water. My hear stopped as the boat almost flipped over. When she landed upright - well lets just say I was happy to be alive.

I fully agree that cleaning and sealing the hull would complete the hard work put in so far. He might even pick up a few MPH on the top end.
    Just taking it all apart, flipping her over and inspecting the bottom of the hull would give me more peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSportJoey View Post

What a turn around It looks great! Thank you for the detailed write up, I definitely learned a thing or two.

I’m just getting into boat detailing and my first boat I did was an 2006 28ft Eliminator Daytona cat. If i knew how to post a picture I would!
    Get the TapaTalk App and use your phone. Pretty easy to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSportJoey View Post

I’ll have to give the marine 31 lineup a try for my next boat detail.
    The Captain's One Step Compound & Polish uses quality abrasive technology, it's far above most other marine compounds. This was a brand new formula for the Captains Boat Coating, application was easy. I hope to hear back from Russel how it hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

That's fast on water over 100mph! And with that speed it's totaly understandable you do those maintance on it to be safe and trust the parts and the boat. Can only imagine the adrenalin kick you get with that speed.
    The fastest I clocked in the 1/4 mile was 111 miles per hour in 11 seconds. Very respectable for a car let alone a boat. The original owner clocked 122 miles per hour in 9 seconds and held the title in the Northwest in 1976. The guys name is Rick Baker. Haven't seen nor heard from him for years. He was an Engineer for Teledyne Wachang.

Where you competing in some kind of league or race events with your boat?
    I belonged to the Columbia Speed Boat Club back in Oregon.

The fastest I have been on water is with a very good friend of mine on his See-Doo water scooter/jet ski those that you sit on. It has a 300hp engine and top speed is around 70-80mph. But it's more to cornering or how you would explain it. So fast up to speed than top speed. It where awesome to try it and since I was not used to any of high speed or that kind of acceleration. I had a big smile after been testing it. Think it's rated to just under 4 seconds 0-60mph. Then he took over and I was looking from the land and showed the cornering ability from it. Amazing is how it was at just looking how he could push it to the limit.
    These water craft have come a LONG way since the Jet Ski was originally introduced. Russel used to race these things, told me all about it.

These boats are they more to go fast straight forward. Or is they also capable of takeing corners fast.
    You could do either with mine. I raced straight line 1/4 mile. Other guys circle race. Mine was set up to turn left hand circles or go straight. I had it for 20 years and should have never sold it. Now I just regret it.

Must be very informative for the "Captains of Industry" to see what can be done with a product line like Marine 31.
    I received a few text messages, phone calls and e-mails from everyone. All positive.

I think people would be surprised at the who in our industry reads this forum.

7. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, Jason Brennan, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't tell from the pics, Mike.

But did your boat have an Arneson drive to put "rubber to the road"?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Can't tell from the pics, Mike.

But did your boat have an Arneson drive to put "rubber to the road"?

My Sanger used a Casale V-Drive with 18% overdrive. Engine is a 402 BBC with small port closed chamber heads. Engine builder is Tim Briggs, means something in Oregon.

Carbs were 660 Center Squirters and Tim reground the linkage to make them progressive like a Double Pumper instead of all 8 barrels dumping at once. Some of you will know what this means.

Before modifying the linkage, when you put the pedal to the metal and all 8 barrels would dump at once, sometime the engine would backfire and it would throw a flame ball out the front of the scoop and past your ears.

Prop was a 17" pitch 2-blade - each time the prop makes one rotation it would propel the boat forward 17" - or that was the hope or theory.

10. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    My Sanger used a Casale V-Drive with 18% overdrive. Engine is a 402 BBC with small port closed chamber heads. Engine builder is Tim Briggs, means something in Oregon.

Carbs were 660 Center Squirters and Tim reground the linkage to make them progressive like a Double Pumper instead of all 8 barrels dumping at once. Some of you will know what this means.

Before modifying the linkage, when you put the pedal to the metal and all 8 barrels would dump at once, sometime the engine would backfire and it would throw a flame ball out the front of the scoop and past your ears.

Prop was a 17" pitch 2-blade - each time the prop makes one rotation it would propel the boat forward 17" - or that was the hope or theory.

Thank you, Mike.

Talking my language right there.

Not many people left in this world that know what it's like to have to have to use a choke and precisely "pump" an engine to start it.

Besides the linkage mod, were there any jet mods to the carbs? Holley's, Right?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Damn!!!

Now I knew this was gonna be a good turn around but Wow! You guys nailed it!

Beautiful workmanship team. Hahaha - “an engine on a potato chip” that pretty much sums it up. Hats off team, bravo!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

13. Likes Jason Brennan liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

Mike and AG/LC Team - I can't imagine the SMILE on the customer's face when he/she saw their beloved boat looking like that!!!! It's too nice now to put in the water!
    I've never met or talked with the owner. I appreciate he trusts the name Autogeek so much that he let his detailer borrow a company truck and then let him haul it all the way down here as well as catch the bill for Russel's hotel, gas and meals. That's pretty cool considering we've never met.

I e-mailed Russel and asked him,

What did the owner think?

Russel replied back last night with this,

He Loved it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

I used some of the products in the Marine 31 line last year, and was thoroughly impressed. More so, the staining that you removed from the hull absolutely gave the boat new life. Truly a testament to the products and the skilled team.

Wonderful job!

ScottH
    The Captain's One Step Compound & Polish uses amazing abrasive technology. The other compounds and polishes are as good as anything on the market but they don't use the same abrasive technology as the Captain's One Step Compound & Polish. In my opinion, and what I wrote numeours times in my boat detailing book is the Captains Compound is WORTH the price. I think it's $60.00 bucks a quart but for the time savings and the finish quality, it's worth it.

Marine 31 Captain’s One-Step Compound & Polish

For those reading this into the future, we used the same techniques I cover in the chapter called,

Category #3 Mild Neglect

The boat condition was actually in Category #4 Severely Oxidized and Neglected but I chose to NOT wetsand this hull and that's what's covered in the chapter, #4 Severely Oxidized and Neglected.

Mike Phillips’ How To Detail Boats With Marine 31

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast