autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Video: Removing #2000 Grit Sanding Marks with BLACKFIRE One Step AIO

Removing #2000 Grit Sanding Marks with BLACKFIRE One Step AIO

At Detail Fest this year I must have sanded and buffed the hood of this rental car dozens of times. Elliot, our Social Media Guru took this video showing #2000 grit sanding marks being removed using BLACKFIRE Pro Detailers Choice Car Care Products, which is a one-step cleaner/sealant, like a cleaner/wax only instead of using a wax like Carnauba for protection it uses a synthetic sealant.

To pull out the sanding marks I'm using the FLEX XFE15 150 Cordless Orbital Polisher, which is a 15mm long stroke free spinning random orbital polisher. That's a whole lot of words to say it's a very safe polisher that is primarily intended to be used for light correction or polishing after heavy correction with a more powerful tool.

The pad is a Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid Orange Foam Cutting Pad. This is NOT typically the type of pad I would use on this tool but when doing live demonstrations on black paint in front of large crowds where you have to assume the people around you know nothing - you have to hedge your bet and be damn sure you can do the thing you just said you were going to do or all of a sudden all the people standing around you that know nothing instantly become experts and in front of everyone else will point out how you just failed.

So I used the foam cutting pad just to insure I removed 100% of the sanding marks. Also just to note - when I hold the polisher up so you can see the amount of BLACKFIRE One Step on the pad - if you look closely you can see the face of the pad is already wet with product. In other words it has already been used with the BF One Step and is broken-in.

The simple act of using a product on a dry sharp foam cutting pad acts to soften the pad and reduce how sharp it is. This is all done on purpose BECAUSE a fresh, dry foam cutting pad can and will cause micro-marring. Had I removed the sanding marks with a clean dry foam cutting pad I may have left micro-marring and then again - you can't have anything less than perfect or at least one person in the crowd will be happy to point it out.

Click on the picture and as Elliot pans around to show the before and after using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch II - in case you have never used one of these lights - IT SHOWS EVERYTHING. So you better be dang sure the paint is going to show perfect before showing looky-loos the results.

This is the real-deal as in not a mock-up...

https://fb.watch/2Qdsqh0tBn/

I could have probably pulled out the sanding marks with 8 back-n-forth passes but again - when doing this type of LIVE demo in front of absolute strangers you can't make a mistake.

Still very amazing what this simple one-step AIO can do.

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE Pro Detailers Choice Car Care Products

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 6.5 Inch Pads

FLEX XFE15 150 Cordless Orbital Polisher

SCANGRIP Sunmatch II

p.s.

Don't try this on your own car.

2. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Video: Removing #2000 Grit Sanding Marks with BLACKFIRE One Step AIO

More....

For those reading this into the future that have not read my review for this product or looked at the pictures, here you go...

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Most the time, for a car like I used for this review - I would use a normal 3-4 step show car detailing process. Besides the normal steps of washing and claying, that would include,

Step 1: Compounding
    Step 2: Polishing
    Step 3: Sealing the paint - either a wax, sealant or ceramic paint coating

For this car however - I only used the BLACKFIRE One Step and the results were simply amazing. I also ON PURPOSE limited my work to a simple 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher i.e. the Griot's Garage 6" polisher. Normally I would have knocked this car out with a FLEX 3401 as I prefer a gear-driven orbital for the constant pad rotation.

But I know a lot of people are going to start out in the detailing world with a common and simple tool like the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher which is basically a copy of the Porter Cable 7424XP only with a lot more power. The point being was to show people what they could do using a simple polisher with a great AIO.

Besides all the time you save by not doing 3 to 4 steps to just the outside of the car, (remember that includes wiping the car down 3-4 times), if you let the product dry before wiping off it wipes off so easy. No strain, no wiping induced marring. Real fast and real simple.

Detailing Classes
    In all my detailing classes I show two distinct styles of buffing out a car.

1. Show Car Detailing
    2. Production Detailing

And for the Production Detailing class I show a one-step product. At this time I always show the BLACKFIRE One Step. It offers great cut and finish plus easy wipe-off. It's a really nice product. I wish it was available in a normal consumer-friendly 16 ounce size bottle but at this time it's only available in a quart size bottle. The good new is - you will love this product so much that you'll be glad you have a quart.

If you detail for money - this is a great product to use for your One-Step Package.

4. Likes JustJesus liked this post