autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

And for what it's worth,

The above car wash supposedly doesn't leave anything behind. This would be a good choice for anyone that wants a car wash that doesn't leave anything behind.

Me?

I like this stuff and "yes" I do use it on my coated car.

KILLER CAR WASH - Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

Mike Phillips

Re: How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post

should I not use a foam gun with typical car wash solution (e.g. Meguiar's Deep Crystal) and Micro-Chenille Mitt?

Will this combination exhibit shorter longevity of ceramic coating and introduce more swirls?

Yes you can use that method.

The way you TOUCH or WASH a car is up to you. My article was written for the anal retentive person that after either removing the swirls themselves and then coating the car, or PAYING someone else to do it - now does NOT want to put swirls back into the coated paint.

How do you do this?

Well by using MORE towels or in your case MORE mitts, you do what I call,

Reduce the potential

IN this case you reduce the potential for instilling swirls by CROSS CONTAMINATION. That is washing a dirty panel with one mitt and then using that same mitt to wash the next panel. If you purchase 12 Micro Chenille Wash Mitts and use them like I show using towels, you will have REDUCED THE POTENTIAL for re-instilling swirls and scratches into your car's beautiful finish.

Make sense?

It all comes down to how deep you want to get into car care.

Mike Phillips

Based on your extensive review, it's quite time-consuming to work with a dozen on Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Towels with very little suds.

Not really.

And it takes less time to wash your car carefully than it takes to,

Wash and dry car
    Clay car
    Machine polish car
    Chemically strip paint
    Install ceramic paint coating

The above will take a mortal man about 6 to 12 hours depending upon the size of the car, condition of the paint, the tools, pads and chemical you own and your speed and skill level. And once done... you're back to

Touching the paint and by this I mean, washing the car.

I totally understand the purpose behind it but I'd like to keep my car washes quick. In grey PNW, it rains lot, my cars are wet ~8 months out of the year.
    I grew up and lived in Oregon most of my life. I've washed more cars in the RAIN than I care to remember. So I hear ya

I guess my question is - can I get by with same car wash approach for sealed, waxed or ceramic coated cars?
    Yes.

Rain is coming and I still haven't decided whether to stick to bubba proof wax and increase cadence to every ~6 weeks or step up to sealant or ceramic coating.

Two good options.

I keep my wife's car coated and I use a one-step cleaner/wax on my car.

I'm washing both of them this Wednesday after work.

Post Thanks / Like

As I always say : The more mitts, the merrier.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

As I always say : The more mitts, the merrier.

I agree.

More mitts, more towels = more better.

Mike Phillips

***Update***

I washed this car back in April of this year, (2019), I had previously did a full paint correction and installed PBL Diamond Paint Coating with PBL Diamond Surface Coating as a topper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

My friend and owner of this car dropped it off today and asked me if I could wash it and clean it up as he wants to trade it in for a SUV. I'm sad to say he has cancer and going through a lot of cancer treatments and is simply unable to enjoy this car as he had planned. For now, an SUV will work better for his trips for cancer treatment and therapy.

When he dropped it off, he said it hasn't been washed since I washed it last. It's been driven, just not washed as it's outside of his ability to do a proper wash on a car with what he knows is a pristine finish.

I took a few pictures to show the current condition. From this shot, it looks clean.

To document the dirt level and/or at least the dirt exposure this car has seen here in South Florida, I took a picture of the wheels.

I used my finger to swipe a section to show the build-up of brake dust and road film. If you've attended any of my classes you know why you have these 2 things build up on your wheels and you have ROAD FILM that builds up on the entire exterior of the car.

Here's the hood. The sun is hiding behind some clouds but it's still swirl-free. It is actually fairly clean looking except for some bug splatter here and there and the reason why is because of the SELF-CLEANING effect that takes place to cars with ceramic coatings.

This car has been driven in the rain a lot since I detailed and the wheels show this. But the paint has stayed miraculously clean and I explain why in this article I also wrote this year.

Mother Natures Car Wash and Ceramic Coatings

I'm going to stay after work today and wash the outside and do an interior detail as he will pick it up tomorrow.

This is called a,

Maintenance Wash

More specifically, a maintenance wash for a ceramic coated car.

Outside of my own cars, I don't do a lot of maintenance washes as I rarely see the cars I detail again. That's because most of them are SIVs or Special Interest Vehicles and thus the opposite of daily drivers so they don't get dirty.

So this is an exception to the rule.

Stay tuned to see what I use and how I do it.

7. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumping this thread since it was nice out this holiday week and I thought I'd give this method a try. While I'm no stranger to the towels in a bucket method for a rinseless wash, it never really crossed my mind to do so for a normal bucket wash with shampoo. While it's basically the same technique I noticed a few things:

-With a good shampoo the towels get very slick and glide easily over the paint. While this makes it easy to keep a light touch, it also makes it difficult to keep the towels folded in a square. I think Mike is onto something using edgeless towels (I used Rag Co. edgeless 365 myself) as the towels inevitably bunch and you might not want to sweat the edges. Just something to note if you're a "use all 8 sides of the towel" type person. I found myself refolding maybe once then just tossing it and grabbing a new towel. No biggie.

-It takes about the same time as a normal 2 bucket wash. While you're not wasting time rinsing a wash mitt, with a towel you can get around emblems, behind door handles, and in crevices easier so I think I naturally spent a little more time in these areas.

-If you're in the shade, you might only have to walk around the car once to wash it (excluding wheels). Same as a rinseless wash, very efficient. If you're disciplined and wash a single panel from top to bottom then toss the towel, there's no risk of taking dirt from the bottom and rubbing it on the higher parts of the vehicle. Of course if you're in the sun or its warm and you have to stop a few times to rinse the car to keep it wet that's better than dealing with water spots.

-You (should) use less shampoo. I started off filling my measuring cup to its usual mark then remembered I only need a a gallon or two of water to cover the towels, whoops. This could be a perk for those of you who use pricey coating or Si02 shampoos. If you're clever and work clean you could even cap the bucket and use it again on the next wash.

All and all good experience and I think I'll give it another go the next wash

9. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post

Bumping this thread since it was nice out this holiday week and I thought I'd give this method a try.

I appreciate that you not only tried this technique but took the time to share your thoughts... - thank you.

While I'm no stranger to the towels in a bucket method for a rinseless wash, it never really crossed my mind to do so for a normal bucket wash with shampoo. While it's basically the same technique I noticed a few things:

-With a good shampoo the towels get very slick and glide easily over the paint. While this makes it easy to keep a light touch, it also makes it difficult to keep the towels folded in a square.

My style as shown in the pictures, I don't fold the towels. For horizontal panels, I lay the towel out flat and use ONE SIDE for one side of the panel, and then flip to the other side to do the other side of the panel. I show this for the roof.

This way any dirt on the first side is not rubbed over the second side.

Washing the roof and all the side glass
    While you only use one towel per body panel the side glass on your vehicle is NOT scratch-sensitive like your car's paint. You can figure how what works best for and your vehicle but for me, I try to wash the entire roof and then wash the windshield, back window and side glass all at one time and then rinse.

Looks like this,

Grab a microfiber towel out of your wash bucket. Remember these have been soaking in the soap solution since before you washed the wheels and tires.

Starting at the top
    This is me washing the passenger side of the roof and at the same time taking a picture using my trusty, dusty Canon T6i - not bad huh? I photographed this entire project. Everyone here at Autogeek is always so busy that I have to play the part of my own photographer.

I start in the MIDDLE and work my way outward. I only make one or two passes as I work from the middle to the outside of the panel. If you move the towel or a mitt OVER AND OVER A PANEL this is called SCRUBBING - not washing and you will loosen the dirt on the panel and then rub it into the paint and cause swirls and scratches. Think about it!

Now I've moved to the driver's side and repeat, starting in the middle and working my way to the outside of the roof.

Done with the passenger side of the roof

I've moved to the driver's side and have flipped my towel over to the clean side.

Repeat - starting at the middle of the roof and making minimum front to back wipes so as not to scrub the paint.

I have finished washing the driver's side of the roof in this last picture....

Now I quickly wash all the glass....

Here's towel #1 going into my CLEAN dirt towel bucket.

And now I'm rinsing the roof and all the side glass....

Chances are VERY GOOD by using this technique the roof is clean and I have not instilled any swirls and scratches.

And just to note - that's a LOT OF ONE HANDED PICTURE TAKING

I think Mike is onto something using edgeless towels
    Right before the Christmas break, (it's now December 29th), I walked by the aisle where the Forrest Green Edgeless Towels I like are stocked and it was

EMPTY

Someone must read what I say and trust me? Even though I'm not a YouTube Influencer.

Store in a clean place
    If you don't have a clean cupboard to dedicate for towel storage then get some type of storage container that has a lid. Think of your towels as TOOLS. Take care of your tools like a Master Mechanic takes care of their tools.

-It takes about the same time as a normal 2 bucket wash. While you're not wasting time rinsing a wash mitt, with a towel you can get around emblems, behind door handles, and in crevices easier so I think I naturally spent a little more time in these areas.
    KISS - Keep it Simple Simon - which also makes if fast and easy.

-If you're in the shade, you might only have to walk around the car once to wash it (excluding wheels).
    I agree. Depends on shade, heat and wind.

Sometimes it's cool out right now but windy and the wind will dry the soapy water off.

-You (should) use less shampoo. I started off filling my measuring cup to its usual mark then remembered I only need a gallon or two of water to cover the towels, whoops. This could be a perk for those of you who use pricey coating or Si02 shampoos.
    Good point.

If you're clever and work clean you could even cap the bucket and use it again on the next wash.
    Another good point and something I do.

All and all good experience and I think I'll give it another go the next wash

Thanks for sharing....

I'm also teaching this technique in my Ceramic Coating class at Mobile Tech Expo in a few weeks. It's class #5 of 8 classes this year.

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

2:00pm to 2:50pm

5: How to chemically strip paint and install a ceramic paint coating PLUS how to properly wash a ceramic coated vehicle.

There is a LOT of confusing on the correct way to chemically strip urethane clearcoats and even urethan single stage paints. There’s even more confusion on how to correctly install a ceramic paint coating. This class will not only clear-up all the confusion, but it will also take all the mystery out of the process. You will learn how simple the coating process should be so you can decrease wasted time, work faster and at the end of the day, make higher profits per hour. You will also learn the secret to avoiding mistakes to get it right the first time. PLUS – the MOST IMPORANT tool you need no matter what brand of coating you install.

This class will also show you the bubba-proof, common sense way to wash a ceramic coated car using a simple process that you can share with all your customers to protect and preserve your hard work while educating your customer so they don’t put swirls and scratches back into their freshly coated car. Keep your customers happy while protecting your reputation and professional business image.

How to correctly chemically strip paint and then install a ceramic paint coating

How to correctly wash a car with a ceramic paint coating

11. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast