autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

How to Monitor Pad Rotation? Mark Your Buffing Pads

How to Monitor Pad Rotation? Mark Your Buffing Pads

Anytime you're using a free spinning orbital polisher there is the chance that the buffing pad can slow down and if stall out to the point where there's simple no pad rotation. When this happens you are no longer removing paint defects at an effective rate, if at all. Paint defects like swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation are removed best, fastest and most effectively when the pad is both rotating and oscillating against the surface.

It used to be you could simply place a mark on the back of the backing plate and by doing this your eyes could easily monitor pad rotation by looking at the backing plate. Now days a lot of tools have dark or black backing plate making it hard to mark and hard to see. Some backing plates are very thin or exact fit and there's simply very little backing plate surface area to mark and thus monitor. And some tools have a protective cover or shroud over the top of the backing plate covering up the majority of the backing plate blocking your view.

Here's a very simple fix - mark your buffing pads

Use a combination of Sharpie Markers, both Black and Silver and also touch-up paint can be used.

Here are some very popular free spinning orbital polishers with the pads marked.

These marks on the side of the pad will make it very easy for you to monitor pad rotation.

When using free spinning orbital polishers - pad rotation is necessary for effective defect removal
    You should also mark your backing plates. Pad rotation is necessary for effective defect removal. You need to be able to EASILY see if the pad is rotating. By marking both the side of your buffing pads and the backing plate it will be fast and easy to see and monitor pad rotation.

Here's a Black Sharpie for marking light colored backing plates

A Silver Sharpie works great for a black backing plate.

This is how the backing plates and pads should look on your free spinning orbital polishers.

The little things are the BIG THINGS!

Even though this is an incredibly simple fix, sometimes the little things are the big things and in order to be working at maximum efficiency anytime you're doing correction or polishing work with any free spinning orbital polisher you want to visibly see pad rotation. As simple mark on the side of your buffing pad will make it a lot easier for your eyes to monitor for pad rotation.

If you don't see pad rotation then you need to change something, perhaps the way you're holding the tool, the speed your buffing at or if your pad is becoming saturated with product, switch to a clean, dry pad. Wet pads on free spinning orbital polishers don't rotate well. This is one reason it's a good idea to have plenty of buffing pads ready to go before starting any full correction detail.

Buffing pads on Autogeek.com

If you don't know which type of pads you need or how many, call Autogeek's customer service help line and they can assist you.

1-800-869-3011

2. Likes fastbird96, dlc95, Oz_TCH, axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to Monitor Pad Rotation? Mark Your Buffing Pads

Also just to point out....

If you look in the pictures above, a black Sharpie marker doesn't work well for a dark colored pad. There are silver and gold Sharpie markers and while they work they don't make it easy to see once the pad gets spinning.

A simple fix is to use some white touch-up paint or really anything light in color. I've used white fingernail polish and even white-out correction fluid can work in a pinch.

4. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great info Mike.

I use some of my wife's Orange fingernail polish on black backing plates. It shows up good while spinning.

I think I am going to do all my pads now though after seeing this.

6. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bradposton View Post

Great info Mike. I use some of my wife's Orange fingernail polish on black backing plates. It shows up good while spinning.

I think I am going to do all my pads now though after seeing this.

Only takes a few minutes. I usually mark them on students tools as I walk around a class and monitor technique. Moving forward I'll simply mark them all.

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

More....

Just to add, here's my original AGO article on the topic of marking your backing plate. I have an older article on MOL.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips