autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Simple Coating Applicator - KISS = Keep it simple Simon

Simple Coating Applicator - KISS = Keep it simple Simon

Last week while coating a Corvette I cut the edge off the perimeter of a simple yellow foam wax applicator pads and then used this to apply a coating. I found it worked well, at least as good as anything else I've ever used. The foam is thin so you won't waste a lot of your expensive coating soaking into the foam just to go to waste. They are fairly cheap to purchase. And the foam won't mar the paint.

Technique Tip
    If you look next to the bottle of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating you'll see a simple, yellow foam wax applicator pad. This is what I used to apply the coating. I took some scissors and trimmed the outer edges off the applicator pad as they are not as soft as the face of the foam pad and I didn't want to risk rubbing them against the highly polished paint.

Trimming the edge off a simple foam wax applicator pad

Million ways to skin a cat.... thought I would share this so if you find yourself without an actual coating applicator pads this can get you by in a pinch. Just make sure the foam applicator pads is clean and has not been previously used to apply a wax or sealant.

Plus you can get them in 6 and 12 packs. Might as well get some next time you place an order as you can use these simple applicators for so many other uses.

On Autogeek.com

6-Pack Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicators

12-Pack Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicators

2. Thanks Diner, Kamakaz1961 thanked for this post
    Likes Coleroad, dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Simple Coating Applicator - KISS = Keep it simple Simon

More....

Here's the car I used these on to apply the coating....

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - 2011 Inferno Orange Metallic Corvette Grand Sport

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

4. Likes Diner, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t use coatings but I cut the edges off those applicators myself for wax application. I think they are heated to make that edge. The melting of the foam creates a harsh plastic like material that I certainly wouldn’t call “paint safe”

Good tip!!!!!
    Jim

6. Likes dlc95, Jaddie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I cut that off too. I think they "stamp" those out with heated die leaving a hard edge behind
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

I really don’t use coatings but I cut the edges off those applicators myself for wax application.

I think they are heated to make that edge. The melting of the foam creates a harsh plastic like material that I certainly wouldn’t call “paint safe”

Good tip!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post

I cut that off too. I think they "stamp" those out with heated die leaving a hard edge behind

Interesting....

Just to go one step further, there used to be a thin foam yellow wax applicator, looked like the one in the picture above but it was even thinner and actually was a two-piece design that was sandwiched togheter. If you cut the outer perimeter off like I show with the solid foam core applicator pads, the two sides would be separate. I think these would work just as well to spread out a coating.

For me, it's about not wasting coating inside of foam. Recently I've seen people using these very thick microfiber wrapped foam blocks to "install" a coating. What I see is a whole lot of coating soaking into the foam block, not being spread over car paint.

Again.... thin is in...

9. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Interesting....

Just to go one step further, there used to be a thin foam yellow wax applicator, looked like the one in the picture above but it was even thinner and actually was a two-piece design that was sandwiched togheter. If you cut the outer perimeter off like I show with the solid foam core applicator pads, the two sides would be separate. I think these would work just as well to spread out a coating.

For me, it's about not wasting coating inside of foam. Recently I've seen people using these very thick microfiber wrapped foam blocks to "install" a coating. What I see is a whole lot of coating soaking into the foam block, not being spread over car paint.

Again.... thin is in...

There is a mf foam block that has a layer between the mf and foam that is a barrier so the coating don't get soaked in to the foam. Otherwise the standard mf foam block applicators would soak up the coating too much.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

There is a mf foam block that has a layer between the mf and foam that is a barrier so the coating don't get soaked in to the foam.

Otherwise the standard mf foam block applicators would soak up the coating too much.

Now that sounds like a genius idea.

Can it be washed and re-used?

Or

Can it be recycled or disposed of and replaced at an inexpensive price?

Just thinking outloud. Thanks for sharing Tony.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Now that sounds like a genius idea.

Can it be washed and re-used?

Or

Can it be recycled or disposed of and replaced at an inexpensive price?

Just thinking outloud. Thanks for sharing Tony.

The Guz and budgetplan has real world experience with them. There are one short mf nap and one longer terry nap. Don't know if they can be washed. But would think as long as the product you use on them it would be okay. Otherwise they are 1 use and throw. Have not looked up the price of them since they are not sold in Sweden yet. But think we will see more to come out with these applicators type. If they can hold down the prices of them vs the small suede applicator towels.

Hope Guz or budgetplan is chaiming in LOL. Cause I just know of them and thought as you a genius idea.

Edit: around $2/applicator is the price of them and they come in 6 and 12 packs. Think they are made to throw away after used.

Post Thanks / Like

As ALWAYS The Oracle has spoken! KEEP ON ROCKING!

From

NEO
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

The Guz and budgetplan has real world experience with them. There are one short mf nap and one longer terry nap. Don't know if they can be washed. But would think as long as the product you use on them it would be okay. Otherwise they are 1 use and throw. Have not looked up the price of them since they are not sold in Sweden yet. But think we will see more to come out with these applicators type. If they can hold down the prices of them vs the small suede applicator towels.

Hope Guz or budgetplan is chaiming in LOL. Cause I just know of them and thought as you a genius idea.

Edit: around $2/applicator is the price of them and they come in 6 and 12 packs. Think they are made to throw away after used.

How thick are they?

Thanks for the follow-up Tony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast