autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

Carpro Essence Plus with a wax pad, low speed and no pressure will act as a paint cleaner to remove water marks, staining and grime without (as far as I can tell) impact the coating since it supposedly repairs ceramic coatings and adds a layer of protection. Its worked well for me for this purpose.

I had a single stage white truck that was prone to staining rather quickly even though it was coated and Essence plus was necessary every 6 months or so to clean it up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

Another thing, if it's installed wrong

Too thick or not enough cure time prior to next layer. You'll end up with solvent pop that could also ruin the original clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people think that a coating is a force field. One customer called me 2 months later saying his car was covered in swirls after a coating. I asked him what kind of washes he was doing, twice a week trips to the local brush car wash then towel, shower towel, drying it. I asked what happened to the 2 buckets he had bought....it took too long.

6. Likes Chopper280 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don’t care about the claims of longevity of coatings. I only take care of my family’s cars and motorcycles and a very few friends.
    With that being said I have switched to mostly coatings for their obvious benefits.
    I am always tinkering with my vehicles and I know my friends will only occasionally wash theirs. None of them even own a can of wax.
    My vehicles will be in tip top shape and at least my friends have some protection.
    I admire you guys that have to explain the process to customers!
    I don’t have the patience to do it!

Post Thanks / Like

Also coatings arnt as slick as you think...they can get clogged

9. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    Thats the biggest downside of a coating!! I miss that glass like feel of a good sealant.

11. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They're all a little different in my experience. Mckee's 37 is as slick as any sealant or wax I've used. Cquartz UK is not as slick, EXO+CSL somewhere between.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Being on both sides of the case here seeing that I deal with clients who want a basic sealant vs a true professional grade coating I see both points.

But I will say that I have plenty of happy coating clients. One thing I engrain into them is proper maintenance with avoiding Auto washes. That being said if it's a daily driver I have them come back for a coating maintenance wash one or two times a year and I am pleased to say that the coatings have held up great. Even through New England winter's. Like anything else if it's not maintained properly then it won't last.

I have had consumer based coatings not hold up so we'll to proper decontamination process after some time but I have definitely seen a difference with a true professional grade coating still going strong after a proper decontamination.

Now as for swirls there's no way to keep an absolutely perfect swirl free finish over the course of years on a daily driven vehicle and this is also something I communicate with clients. So it really comes down to what the client wants and expectations. I have clients who pay me every year to do a basic correction and recoat and I have clients who are very fanatical about maintaining there vehicle and have done a great job on upkeep on there coatings and have avoided installing swirls in there paint by following proper maintenance.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

14. Likes FrankS, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Syncro is pretty slick...

YouTube

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast