autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips

I think someone else asked it earlier, but what LC foam pad is ideal for an AIO? There are multiple different LC foam pads. Which LC 'model' of the foam pad should be utilized? the CCS? the Hybrid? the Flat pads?
    - Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
    I think someone else asked it earlier, but what LC foam pad is ideal for an AIO? There are multiple different LC foam pads. Which LC 'model' of the foam pad should be utilized? the CCS? the Hybrid? the Flat pads?
    The Flat Foam Pads or the ThinPros. I personally stay away from the Hybrids and CCS Pads. Hybrids tend to be preferred by people who use the Flex Polisher, which is forced rotation. And the CCS pads are a bit archaic.

I like to use the White Foam Polishing Pads for AIO’s. I like the Flat Foams for that duty.

3. Likes PSYS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
    Which LC 'model' of the foam pad should be utilized? the CCS? the Hybrid? the Flat pads?
    Agree with Eldorado2k’s response above. The best pad choice is partly determined by which dual action polisher you’ll be using for the job.

You indicated you use a GG6. Stick with thin pads and you’ll experience less stalling when using this machine.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

5. Likes PSYS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas...
    - Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had good results with HD Speed/GG6/GG Fast finishing 5.5 MF red pads. I just did a 1st gen Honda Ridgeline with black paint and it came out nicely. It’s a hunting/woods truck most of the time and he ended up telling his wife his hunting season was over unless he took her minivan because it looked so good.

I can’t seem to get the pic to post in here. I can’t upload it or post the link method. I’m on the iPad.
    https://www.facebook.com/newfinishPDLLC/
    Steve Infante, New Finish Columbia 803-553-1782
    Columbia, SC / IG:@newfinishcolumbia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I have learned from experience than a one step is an improvement and not perfection.

I feel, generally speaking, that most people prefer glossy with some swirls and RIDS Over a dullish looking finish.
    ^^ this and I've configured my packages and presentation to that point.

• Basic clean and protect- is just what you described. It's NOT a correction but rather a perfectly executed cleaning and refining type polish that will reduce the appearance of swirls through ramping up the gloss but it's not a correction.
    • Premium Enhancement Polish - is a minor correction and involves either a polish and sealant (AIO) or a polish and a seasonal coating like CanCoat. I offer the latter as a small upgrade charge. Aimed at 50% reduction/correction but upwards of 75%+ is common and easily achieved depending on what I get to work with finish wise.
    • Elite Enhancement Correction - is a true two-step correction process of compound and polish followed by a sealant or a coating; again at an upgrade charge for the latter. Aimed at 75% correction which is common but upwards of 90%+ is often achieved, again, depending on what the customer comes in with
    • Signature Level Perfection is what I call my 100% corrective process. As the name notes, it's a true multi-step full correction package.

No surprise that the first two packages are my most popular. I think the most important aspect is presenting them to the customer based on what they come in with and what they desire to leave with. I've had customers come in thinking a "detail" IS a Full Correction. That's fine as it may be at some shops, but with me, I offer pretty cost effective choices. I've also had the opposite that a basic clean and protect costs more than what customers are looking to pay. Some still think a detail is a wash and hand wax and that's it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post

I've had customers come in thinking a "detail" IS a Full Correction.
    Exactly!!! Including interior as well! What are they smoking????????????
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Hitting that crack you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

Great comments throughout the thread. The Big Picture I'm trying to share is be careful about using foam cutting pads as your default go-to pad when using any AIO and that is because sometimes the pad ALL BY ITSELF can leave PAD HAZE. Pad haze is micro-marring. It's where the pad itself is scratching the paint.

If you sell a one step process to a customer and use a foam cutting pad only to find out after doing the one step application of the AIO that now there is micro-marring throughout the paint - NOW you have to redo the entire car to remove the micro-marring and now you're no longer making a profit because now you're doing a two step process for a one step price.

For all the people that attended my Roadshow Class in Roswell, Georgia - they saw this first hand. Until you see it first hand you may doubt what I'm trying to share with this thread. But if you do enough one-step details using foam cutting pads sooner or later it's going to bite you in the behind and you're going to remember this article and think,

He was right

So anytime you're doing one-step detail jobs TRY to stick with foam polishing pads and START the business deal with the customer by setting their expectations REAL WORLD.

If the customer wants 100% correction that's fine. Make them pay for it. That's a 2-step or 3-step process not your 1-step process.

I see expertise the FB Group world all the time sharing how they use foam cutting pads with AIO's to maximize correction results and it's true, you will get more correction using an AIO with a foam CUTTING pad but you might also get pad haze throughout the entire finish. So be careful where you get your expert information.

12. Likes jolo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can a AIO be used with a rotary?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast