autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

SONAX Perfect Finish - Fine Cut Polish for Rotary Polishers

SONAX Perfect Finish - Fine Cut Polish for Rotary Polishers

Just to note, SONAX products use great abrasive technology. SONAX Perfect Finish is actually formulated specifically for use with rotary buffers but I have had good luck using it with orbital polishers too...

Last year while filming the second season of Competition Ready, we used SONAX Perfect Finish with Lake Country Gold Foam Jeweling Pads to finish out a custom Camaro --> ROTARY BUFFER ONLY. And no holograms.

Pictures and comments from the 2017 Detail Fest Custom Car Builders Challenge for Competition Ready TV!

1969 Camaro built by the Roadster Shop

Before

Note the FLEX PE14 rotary polishers with the Lake Country Gold Foam Jewelling Pads

After

Good stuff....

SONAX Perfect Finish

2. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SONAX Perfect Finish - Fine Cut Polish for Rotary Polishers

Have used Perfect Finish with long throws (rupes) and forced rotation (Flex 3401) always with great results...it's a great (albeit a little pricey) product.

If you wander around the Inter-webs (where everything you read MUST TO BE TRUE) you might run into folks who believe it leaves fillers behind, a hotly debated topic at one point but I've never had any issues using under coatings so long as I'm sure to work the product thru it's cycle. Speaking to the Sonax reps and some other well-respected users of it, it's kinda taken on an Urban Legend status regarding the filler aspect with some folks but it's a great product that has never given me any issues and finishes quite well, LSP ready in general.

Certainly not compound-level cut but for average swirl removal with light to somewhat moderate flaws, it's a great one-step....stuff just plain works.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

If you wander around the Inter-webs (where everything you read MUST TO BE TRUE) you might run into folks who believe it leaves fillers behind

The majority of all the "experts" I read talking about "fillers" are the same people that in their quest for purity have forgotten the entire reason any of us polish anything is to....

Make it look good

(whatever "it" is)

Lubricating oils in a compound or polish, (or even cleaner/wax for that matter), lubricate the surface so the abrasives don't simply scour the finish. In other words, the lubricating oils or "agents" help __> us <-- to create beauty. These same lubricating agents also "fill".

Remove the lubrication and your back to abrasion without lubrication and now we can't take that diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone as I like to say...

I get the personality characteristic that some people have where they try to be sure pure and perfect that they're always chasing the perfect product but in the BIG PICTURE, at some point you simply need to polish the car, seal it somehow and then stick a fork in it and call it done.

5. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I so need to use this product more. I have a bottle and really don't use it as much. Mike...what speeds were you using in with the rotary with the LC pads?
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got this last night but will use it next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used probably a gallon of perfect finish, cut max, and 04-06 at one of the paint shops I do work for. All work well. Perfect Finish is real good on a rotary. Leaves a real good finish for a final sealer with a DA. I still like other products though. Clear Cut is awesome! And I still love Megs 105 and 205. Be open to trying other products. Lots out there that are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Does Sonax perfect finish leave any protection behind? If not can you put your favorite sealant over it?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NCCCOCrane View Post
    Does Sonax perfect finish leave any protection behind?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by NCCCOCrane View Post
    If not can you put your favorite sealant over it?
    Thanks
    Yes

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post

Mike...what speeds were you using in with the rotary with the LC pads?

Low RPMs. On the FLEX PE14 on the low setting locked, which is 600 RPM and if you want to feather the trigger 400 to 500 RPM.

In my opinion and experience, jeweling is a LOW speed operation, not a high speed operation like I see most RB guys stating.

12. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got a new (to me) Porsche 911.. it has some light surface scratches on the roof and on some of the peaks of the curvy parts near the headlights. I tried M105 with no luck removing these scratches.. I'm going to try the Sonax Perfect Finish with a microfiber pad.. my question is after this step, which product have you guys had the most success with after? I was thinking a glaze to fill in any remaining swirls or light scratching would look great. Any advice? My car is metallic grey for reference, want something to really make the metallic stand out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast