autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

How to refine hand sanding scratches by machine sanding - Mirka Abralon #3000 Sanding Discs

How to refine hand sanding scratches by machine sanding - Mirka Abralon #3000 Sanding Discs

Mirka Abralon #3000 Sanding Discs

Over the course of known automotive history - most wet sanding is performed by hand. We've only had sanding discs to enable us to machine sand for a few decades.

What's the deal with machine sanding?

The deal is it makes buffing faster, easier, cooler to the paint and leaves more paint on the car. When hand sanding, due to the human elements of muscle fatigue, it's pretty much impossible to sand evenly for 100% of the time and to avoid instilling tracers into the paint. These are givens and the norm for hand sanding. Machine sanding will not only refine deeper hand sanding marks to make them more shallow but will also remove tracers making the overall results visually better.

What do you need to machine sand?

First you need a machine. What kind of machine? Pretty much any free spinning orbital polisher can be used to machine sand. Gear-driven orbital sanders can be used too but you need to be experienced in order to avoid mistakes.

Second you need machine sanding discs. There's a number of brands on the market including the brand we used for this project, Mirka Abralon which are available in both 6" and 3" sizes.

Third you need a clean source of water in a spray bottle to keep the surface wet while sanding.

I teach both hand sanding and machine sanding in my 3-day classes and the next 3-day classes are, February, May and September. For more info call Autogeek at 1-800-869-3011

For guys that are new to machine sanding I like to start them out with the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher.

Why? Because it's SUPER EASY to control. Then after they get some experience and confidence I move them up to larger tools. It's the old training philosophy of learning to walk before you run.

Here I'm using the Griot's Cordless 5 Inch Lithium-Ion Random Orbital Polisher - it's a tick fast on the OPMs when you first fire her up but once you apply a little pressure and start moving the polisher over the panel it becomes very controllable. Plus... no cords...

Here's Frank using the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher as a sander on the cowl. Frank is not new to machine sanding just making sanding easy around edges and body lines.

Here's Glen testing out the Griot's cordless polisher as a cordless sander.

Here's Arthur using the RUPES Nano Short Neck to machine sand around a raised body line.

And here's the final sanded results - completely flat paint - ready for the next step...

On Autogeek.com

Mirka Abralon #3000 Sanding Discs - 6" diameter - $49.99

MIRKA Abralon 3 Inch 3000 Grit Sanding Discs, 20 per box - $39.99

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes FrankS, Farmallluvr liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to refine hand sanding scratches by machine sanding - Mirka Abralon #3000 Sanding Discs

***Bump***

Pictures for MTE power point presentations

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to refine hand sanding scratches by machine sanding - Mirka Abralon #3000 Sanding Discs

You make it look so easy Mike.

So, just straight water and no drop of Dawn for the lube?

Post Thanks / Like

When would you use the 5000 grit sanding discs? I’ve seen them and thought “why”? I suppose you save some paint , but...

Post Thanks / Like

I've used this system,works great and a heckuva time saver
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”