autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Cost to wetsand a car? Example of tools needed and the cost

Cost to wetsand a car? Example of tools needed and the cost

The below is just an example of the supplies and tools we used for this specific project. Every project is different and may and will require different supplies and thus costs will vary greatly.

Lots of interest in wetsanding

From my experience, I would say a lot or even most people in the car detailing world have not done a lot of wetsanding and thus don't know what just the sanding products cost plus the tools, pads compounds and polishes.

So below I've listed the basic components of our recent wet sanding project and included the links to the store where you can get them and the prices so you have an idea of what just your supplies are going to cost.

Next time a customer or your buddy asks you to wetsand their car, send them the link to this thread and let them know this is just the cost of supplies, (minimum supplies at that), and this doesn't include labor cost which is basically time - LOTS of time. What's not included is assumed you the detailer already have in your arsenal, things like lots of quality microfiber towels, masking tape, etc.

On Autogeek.com

Griot's Garage BOSS Finishing Papers #2000 precision finishing papers - $29.99

Meguiars Sanding Pad E7200 - $3.99

Mirka Abralon #3000 Sanding Discs - 6" diameter - $49.99

MIRKA Abralon 3 Inch 3000 Grit Sanding Discs, 20 per box - $39.99

6.5 inch 50/50 Wool Acrylic Polishing Pad - $9.99

SONAX CutMax Cutting Compound 1000 ml - $49.99
    (Aggressive compound to use with wool pad to remove sanding marks)

RUPES 180 mm (7 inch) Blue Coarse Foam Pad - $14.99

RUPES Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound 1 liter - $47.99
    (Used to remove the hologram/swirls left by the wool pad and the rotary buffer)

Total = 246.92

The above doesn't include the cost of the two primary tools we used...

Rotary Buffer - We used FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher - $399.99

Orbital Polisher - we used a number of polishers but settled on the RUPES BigFoot LHR21 Mark II Random Orbital Polisher - $440.00

Tool costs = $839.99

Total for supplies and tools = $1,086.91

Supplies and tools

Hope that helps anyone ever considering this type of project to first consider the cost of the supplies and if doing this for a customer or a buddy, make sure they understand the cost of the supplies alone - then talk about time/labor costs.

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes JKDesign, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Cost to wetsand a car? Example of tools needed and the cost

Finished project...

Wetsanded, cut and polished - 1929 Model A Sedan Delivery Streetrod

4. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It may be a good idea to pick up at least 4-6 Rupes blue pads for that size car.

So that would be even more.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post

It may be a good idea to pick up at least 4-6 Rupes blue pads for that size car.

So that would be even more.

Thanks for adding that Frank. I washed all the RUPES blue coarse foam buffing pads yesterday and can count how many we went through when I remove them from the washing machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish insurance companies could see this post!!!!!!! At best they give us .3 hrs per panel to denib and polish. That is 18 MINUTES!!!!!! On top of that, they put that .3 hrs in the body labor category- which means you don't get paid for the materials used!!!! And people wonder why bodyshops get such a bad rap!!!

I once had an auto claims manager tell me that per their guidelines a good painter has a maximum of 3 dirt nibs per panel. I wanted to hand him my technicians spray gun and tell him to show us how its done lol.

8. Likes zmcgovern45, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post

On top of that, they put that .3 hrs in the body labor category- which means you don't get paid for the materials used!!!!
    Something went wrong somewhere along the line...

And people wonder why bodyshops get such a bad rap!!!
    The industry is messed up but part of the problem is due to a lack of education with all parties involved including the insurance company, the body shop and the customer.

10. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The industry is messed up but part of the problem is due to a lack of education with all parties involved including the insurance company, the body shop and the customer.

Unfortunately it is not going to get any better. As the larger insurance companies are preferring (or are requiring) that new appraisers to have no technical field experience of any kinda but a minimum of a bachelors degree in business. So the only knowledge they want their appraisers to have is the knowledge they give them.

Mike Phillips

Unfortunately it is not going to get any better. As the larger insurance companies are preferring (or are requiring) that new appraisers to have no technical field experience of any kinda but a minimum of a bachelors degree in business. So the only knowledge they want their appraisers to have is the knowledge they give them.

Sounds about right...

Don't know what to say except that the only hope would be for an educated consumer base that won't put up with mediocre results that in turn forces change from the bottom up.

Likelihood of the above happening?

Not much... forums like this help though...

13. Likes PaulMys, Aaryn NZ, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish insurance companies could see this post!!!!!!! At best they give us .3 hrs per panel to denib and polish. That is 18 MINUTES!!!!!! On top of that, they put that .3 hrs in the body labor category- which means you don't get paid for the materials used!!!! And people wonder why bodyshops get such a bad rap!!!

I once had an auto claims manager tell me that per their guidelines a good painter has a maximum of 3 dirt nibs per panel. I wanted to hand him my technicians spray gun and tell him to show us how its done lol.
    Nothing towards you but the insurance companies wouldn't get away with shorting you guys if there were not so many guys out there willing to do it for the short price.

It's the same way in my trade. To many people willing to work for 2 little money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Sounds about right...

Don't know what to say except that the only hope would be for an educated consumer base that won't put up with mediocre results that in turn forces change from the bottom up.

Likelihood of the above happening?

Not much... forums like this help though...

Bang on!!!

This is absolutely correct. (Sadly) I have been saying something similar to this for a long time & my comment/pictures in this thread - How to wet sand paint flat by hand by Mike Phillips Is a prime example of exactly this.

Folks keep putting up with mediocre & soon enough the new norm is mediocre. When the industry standard is mediocre for so long, it will become nigh on impossible to turn that around. I try & educate as many people I can but it seem more & more that people are settling for mediocre but then in turn, (forgive me, I cannot remember where or what article Mike mentions it but if they couldn’t do it right the first time, they’re unlikely to do it right the second time - Perhaps here - https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ight=Worst+job)
    Where does that leave things?? You want people to “complain” & get the job done right but . . .

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

16. Likes PaulMys liked this post