autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

To wax or not to wax pin striping?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

The reality is, most people that contact me found me via an article I've written or a reply I've written on this forum. The thing is, instead of figuring out that the whole reason they are contacting me is because they found me via an article or answer I wrote on the forum that they to should bring their question to the forum because not only will that help them.... but it will help a future "them". If I answer everything in a private e-mail or other touch point, no one would find and contact me. It's a cycle or pattern that repeats as long as everything is shared in the public domain.

The above is kind of wordy but re-read it slowly and it will make sense.

So I get an e-mail asking,

Good morning Mike – I have a quick question. I just got my mustang re-striped because the 3M tape product that is used oxidizes pretty quickly. The stripe guy suggested waxing the stripes to help protect it from the UVA and UVB rays. Does this make sense and if so what wax will do the trick to prolong the life of the stripes?

Thank you !!

George

Great questions George...

Here's the dealio....

Yes, apply a non-cleaning wax or sealant to the paint and the vinyl tape.

Why?

Something is better than nothing.

How much protection will be provided to the vinyl pin stripe tape? Not much but something is better than nothing.

As to what to use? I'd use whatever you're already using for the paint on your car. If you want the max UV protection, then get Optimum Car Wax, see this article,

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To wax or not to wax pin striping?

OCW is what I was thinking as I was reading your post. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To wax or not to wax pin striping?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

The reality is, most people that contact me found me via an article I've written or a reply I've written on this forum. The thing is, instead of figuring out that the whole reason they are contacting me is because they found me via an article or answer I wrote on the forum that they to should bring their question to the forum because not only will that help them.... but it will help a future "them". If I answer everything in a private e-mail or other touch point, no one would find and contact me. It's a cycle or pattern that repeats as long as everything is shared in the public domain.

The above is kind of wordy but re-read it slowly and it will make sense.

So I get an e-mail asking,

Good morning Mike – I have a quick question. I just got my mustang re-striped because the 3M tape product that is used oxidizes pretty quickly. The stripe guy suggested waxing the stripes to help protect it from the UVA and UVB rays. Does this make sense and if so what wax will do the trick to prolong the life of the stripes?

Thank you !!

George

Great questions George...

Here's the dealio....

Yes, apply a non-cleaning wax or sealant to the paint and the vinyl tape.

Why?

Something is better than nothing.

How much protection will be provided to the vinyl pin stripe tape? Not much but something is better than nothing.

As to what to use? I'd use whatever you're already using for the paint on your car. If you want the max UV protection, then get Optimum Car Wax, see this article,

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Hope that helps...

Will a good sealant work on the pinstriping as well? I’m going to use the crystal serum light and EXO on my wife’s van when it cools off a bit and was unsure if it would bond to the pinstripes ( it has a lot of pinstripes) I tape them off for polishing but should I just go ahead and coat them as well?

I already use the optimum car wash/ wax and spray wax product on both my cars.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro