autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to remove concrete stains and what is the color code for foam buffing pads?

How to remove concrete stains and what is the color code for foam buffing pads?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

So I get an e-mail asking,

I have dried cement (actually it appears to be slurry from Concrete as the spots appear to have sand). I have attempted to wash it off , used cleaner wax, and polishing compound, to no avail.

The area affected is the lower half a pickup bed. The truck in question is a 1998 Dodge Ram, 1500 club cab. Paint code is PW7. Color is white with clear coat.

Please advise

Thank you

Charles

I answer back,

Hi Charles,

Here you go…

Name of product: Back-Set Molecular Cement Dissolver

Company: RoMix Incorporated

When you’re done removing the concrete you’ll either have to polish the paint or pay someone to polish the paint, see my article here,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Then I get a GREAT follow-up question...

That should take care of my problem with the cement spots, however, I do have one more question to ask.

In reference to the attention you have given to foam pads, is there a standard which governs the color of foam for a given procedure ? How would I be able to discern which pad to use.

And that indeed is a great question. I also answer this "hard to answer question" on page 86 of The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine,

Here's what I wrote back then and it's still just as accurate today,

Foam Pad Color Coding

Each pad manufacture uses a different color coding system for the pads they manufacture. Even inside a single company's pad lines, there can be confusion. Since pad options are continually changing, the BEST thing to do is to post any questions you have to the AtogeekOnline.net discussion forum.

And I'll stick by that answer.

I would also add that when a person gets to the point to where they have made the decision to take OWNERSHIP of their car's appearance care, this means they have decided to purchase an orbital polisher and learn to machine polish their paint, then 2 things,

1: The most powerful tool you can have in your tool arsenal is this forum. Why? Because you can get helpful and accurate information without out all the snide remarks and foul language you'll get in the Facebook world.

2: You need to do some homework and first choose the tool you want to purchase and THEN figure out the pads and along with that comes figuring out the color coding for the pads for that tool. And again, to get helpful accurate information, this forum can't be beat.

Charlie then went on to add...

I like your show on Velocity, “Competition Ready”, which presents a wealth of information and demonstrates what a great finish should look like. I believe you have taken Black to another dimension.

The light you use when evaluating a finish prior to any polishing and the plastic bag on the hand is something I never heard of.

Who said an old dog can’t learn new tricks ?

Thanks again

Charles

I'm glad you like the show. Most people have zero idea what it cost our company to put our show on the Velocity Channel. Most of the shows on the Velocity Channel are owned by Velocity, thus there is no "cost" to anyone to have the shows on. Velocity gets huge company's like Geico Insurance plus Tire Rack, plus so many other companies to advertise on their channel and this is how all the other shows you see on the Velocity Channel magically appear.

Not us. We were pay-to-play. There's a huge difference.

And as for our show, I'll admit it. I hate watching other shows with DRAMA. Don't like, don't need it and won't watch it. That's why I like shows without drama, like My Classic Car, Chasing Classic Cars, Truck U, etc. That's also the style I use myself when I working on TV, that is no drama. I like to solve problems by showing people how to do things and that's about as simple as it gets.

If you're thinking about getting a polisher I would click the link I've shared above on getting into machine polishing. And "yes" out of all the polishers on the market and all the polishers we sell, (that's actually 2 things), I would whole heartedly recommend the Griot's 6" DA Polisher. It's affordable at $150.00 and you can get a ton of different pads and other tools to use with it.

If you're just an enthusiast, that is you're just taking care of your own cars and not detailing for money, then there's no reason to get any deeper as most tools after this tool jump up to the $300.00+ range. If you want to spend more I certainly won't stop you and would recommend getting a gear-driven orbital. There's FLEX, Makita and in a few months, RUPES. With gear-driven orbital you won't have to deal with any pad stalling issues, which is the most common complaint I read in the blogosphere about free spinning orbital polishers of ANY brand.

So to overcome pad stalling issues you need to go gear-driven orbital.

That said, the Griot's 6" DA is a great entry level or beginner tool and it will tackle most panels without pad stall issue with its small 8mm orbit stroke length.

As for pads for this tool, any foam pad brand from Lake Country, Griot's or B and S are great choices and myself or any of our customer care staff can help you to get the best pads for your application.

But it's a heck of a lot easier if you simply join the forum and interact with me here than e-mail. Here's the link to join our forum,

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline Detailing Discussion Forum

And not how in my first reply to you via e-mail I DID include the link to the above video and the link to the above article?

But here on the forum I was able to embed the video and share a "normal" blue clickable link to the other article.

And I can "easily" share pictures, like this,

My recommendation?

Get the Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher. This one,

Griot's Garage 6" ROP - Standard cord

Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher - HD Cord - 25' Heavy Duty Cord already pre-wired

And I can do all of this in a linear fashion, something that cannot be done on a Facebook group which makes absorbing the information a lot more difficult for the person trying to learn.

I hope all of the above helps. I hope you are able to remove the concrete stains. And I hope to see you as a member of our forum as this is the information powerhouse on the Internet.

Mike Phillips

Re: How to remove concrete stains and what is the color code for foam buffing pads?

Continued....

To your question about which color of foam pads to get...

If you get the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher, the one I recommend in this article,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Then in that article I also include ALL THE LINKS to all the available pad options and the backing plate options.

The tools comes with a 6" backing plate. This is too big for most applications. I've asked Jeff Brown at Griot's if they could re-package their polisher to either,

A: include a 5" backing plate
    B: Include NO backing plate

And the reason why is because I spend so much time explaining to people that they don't want the 6" backing plate that comes in the box but instead they want a 5" backing plate so they can use 5.5" pads which is what you want for detailing cars. Not 6.5" pad, they are simply to large for most polishers, most panels and most people.

So that all said, in the article above are the links to 5" backing plates - they are all good, just pick a brand.

5" Backing plates

Lake Country 5" Backing Plate

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

And 5.5" foam pads... Here are some recommendations...

Lake Country Pad Manufacturing

Lake Country 5.5" Flat pads <-- Simplest pads available, makes these bubba-proof

Get orange, white and black

Buff and Shine Pad Manufacturing

6 Inch Buff & Shine Uro-Tec Foam Pads

Get maroon, yellow and white

Griot's Garage foam pad options

Get these...

Griots Garage 5.5 inch Orange Foam Correcting Pad

Griots Garage 5.5 inch Black Foam Finishing Pad

Griots Garage 5.5 inch Red Foam Waxing Pad

Mike Phillips

Re: How to remove concrete stains and what is the color code for foam buffing pads?

Continued....

Once you get a polisher, a backing plate and choose a line of pads to go with, the next question is (and I have an article on this topic)

How many pads do I need to buff out my car?

I'd recommend reading the article but here's the nutshell version...

The compounding step takes the longest and is the most PUNISHING to your pads, so get a lot of foam cutting pads, 6 is a good minimum.

The polishing step is faster and easier on you and the pads, get at least 4 to 5

The waxing step. Might as well apply your choice of wax or sealant by machine since you now have the machine. The machine will always do a better job than the human. For machine applying a wax or sealant you really only need one pad.

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

I think you know what they are when you buy them then you just have to remember it it's pretty easy because different pads have different designs

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

I think you know what they are when you buy them then you just have to remember it it's pretty easy because different pads have different designs

Knowing what color of foam does what also comes from simple use and immersion in this hobby/craft.

With Meguiar's it's pretty simple as they only have 3 colors of foam pads. With Lake Country it can be a tick more difficult as they offer so many pads...

Post Thanks / Like

WOW Mike. What a great post. Not that I have to worry about concrete stains, but geez man. What a good amount of information you provided in this thread.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    WOW Mike. What a great post. Not that I have to worry about concrete stains, but geez man. What a good amount of information you provided in this thread.

Thanks...

When I get e-mails with questions I never mind answering them but the "time" factor involved to type-out really detailed information is simply hard to justify for an e-mail reply. So I bring it to the forum.

It's also a LOT easier to share links, pictures and videos.

I always send the link to the thread I create to the sender of the e-mail. I probably have about 100 threads like this one just this year. I'd say most of the time the people probably come to the forum and get the information but I can't tell how often any of them actually join the forum to interact.

That is "kind of" an indicator to me as to just how important good information is to these folks. If it's not important enough to them to join the forum where they can interact with me I rarely answer any further follow-up e-mails from them. Nothing against anyone it's just a matter of "value". And that goes both ways.