autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop by Mike Phillips

The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop by Mike Phillips

I've typed about this topic so much in my life I guess it's time to write an article on it...

"The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop"

You can quote me on that.

Why?

Simple... because they spray paint at body shops and not just in the enclosed paint booth. Even if they only sprayed paint inside the paint booth overspray is still a problem because,

A: Airborne sticky particles of fresh paint can travel and land everywhere and anywhere.

B: Not all shops tape-off and cover-up 100% of the portions of a car NOT being painted. For example if painting a fender, some shops won't tape-off and cover all the other parts of the car like the back wheels, or back of car, etc. Overspray paint is non-selective, it drifts in the air and sticks wherever it lands.

So...

"The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop"

The second most common place to get overspray paint?

A "Car Guys" garage!

Why??

Because they tend to use Rattle Can paint to do things like paint the alternator bracket while it's off the car, (replacing the alternator), and thus their car (that's in the garage where they're spray painting the bracket), gets overspray paint.

And to find out if your car's paint is contaminated? See this article,

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

Mike Phillips

Re: The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop by Mike Phillips

Continued...

More articles for reference...

A $4.00 Plastic Drop Cloth could have prevented this...

Paint Overspray Ghosting

The Baggie Test as seen on Competition Ready TV with AJ and Mike Phillips

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

Dodo Juice - 1936 Chevy Coupe - Extreme Makeover

Removing Overspray Paint using Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

In-depth Videos for how clay works and how to use clay

1969 Corvette Stingray - Cobra Clay Mitt Review

1963 Plymouth Fury Drag Race Car - Pictures & Video

See post #17

Here's another recent example of a cool car with paint overspray after having only a portion of the car worked on and then repainted.

1965 Mustang GT Convertible - Detailer's Paint Coating

Read the first post and then watch and LISTEN to the embedded YouTube video as you can HEAR the roughness of the paint due to the paint overspray.

1949 Chevy 5-Window Pickup Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Videos

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop by Mike Phillips

While not exactly related, I used an airless sprayer this weekend to paint my porch. I ended up with overspray on my drive way 40 ft away or so. I was really glad I kept the garage sealed up.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post

While not exactly related, I used an airless sprayer this weekend to paint my porch. I ended up with overspray on my drive way 40 ft away or so.

I was really glad I kept the garage sealed up.

Good thinking...

Overspray drifts easily via the wind and any air currents in the area.

It takes minutes to create an overspray headache and sometimes hours to undo the damage...

Post Thanks / Like

I can relate to this post. Had the hood of my SUV replaced/repainted by a shop that does very good work and I was super pleased with the results. A week later when washing the vehicle I found what appeared to be a very fine clear coat over spray mist on my wheels. Was able to remove with clay and then polish them but it was added work for me that was unnecessary.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I own a small painting company... Spraying outdoors is like a major, absolute, last-resort. Overspray is no joke.

I just did a spray job at an automotive plant and we spent twice as long prepping to spray as we did actually spraying. If I get paint on stuff that isn't supposed to be painted, I'm on the hook to fix it. I don't understand how these body shops get away with such shoddy practices...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Had to have a fender painted on my car, the work turned out great with perfect color match. The weather turned and I wasn't able to do a full blown wash on the car for two weeks. Once I did it revealed a nice crisp mask line and faint clear coat over spray across the hood.

Decided just to fix it myself, quicker and I knew that I would do the least harm in removing it. It should have never happened.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post

I can relate to this post. Had the hood of my SUV replaced/repainted by a shop that does very good work and I was super pleased with the results. A week later when washing the vehicle I found what appeared to be a very fine clear coat over spray mist on my wheels. Was able to remove with clay and then polish them but it was added work for me that was unnecessary.
    Sad to say, your experience is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyBacon View Post

I own a small painting company... Spraying outdoors is like a major, absolute, last-resort. Overspray is no joke.

I just did a spray job at an automotive plant and we spent twice as long prepping to spray as we did actually spraying. If I get paint on stuff that isn't supposed to be painted, I'm on the hook to fix it. I don't understand how these body shops get away with such shoddy practices...
    They get away with it because in some cases they are oblivious to it, but regardless of whether they know or don't know or don't care, the average person doesn't know. The average person gets a collision repair and then runs their car through the car wash. They would never "feel" the overspray, let alone purchase a clay kit.

Quote Originally Posted by gsbell View Post

Had to have a fender painted on my car, the work turned out great with perfect color match. The weather turned and I wasn't able to do a full blown wash on the car for two weeks.

Once I did it revealed a nice crisp mask line and faint clear coat over spray across the hood.

Decided just to fix it myself, quicker and I knew that I would do the least harm in removing it. It should have never happened.

Sounds about right. And fixing it yourself was the right decision.

Thanks for chiming in guys and vindicating my observations over time and my experience over time.

Mike Phillips

Shared here,

Overspray removal