autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: How do I carefully restore the original paint on a 1959 Cadillac?

Quote Originally Posted by TJKII View Post

Hi here is an update.

I am doing this car in stages due to client's schedule.

In these pics I have used the claybar and the Menzerna 3 in 1 with a green CCS pad.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing updates and pictures.

I take almost all e-mails and Facebook messages to this forum as I don't have time to type of one set of eyeballs and while I ask and encourage everyone that sends me an e-mail or a Facebook message to join the forum where we can interact together many don't and this shows me that if it's not important to them then hey... it's not that important to me.

So when someone does make the effort to join and interact I really do appreciate it.

I've downloaded and then uploaded your pictures above to your gallery here on the forum so I could insert them for everyone to see more easily....

And just to double check, all of the above results are after applying the Menzerna 3-in-1 or after applying the Menzerna 3-in-1 plus applying the #7?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I carefully restore the original paint on a 1950 Cadillac?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Hi Tom,

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing updates and pictures.

I take almost all e-mails and Facebook messages to this forum as I don't have time to type of one set of eyeballs and while I ask and encourage everyone that sends me an e-mail or a Facebook message to join the forum where we can interact together many don't and this shows me that if it's not important to them then hey... it's not that important to me.

So when someone does make the effort to join and interact I really do appreciate it.

I've downloaded and then uploaded your pictures above to your gallery here on the forum so I could insert them for everyone to see more easily....

And just to double check, all of the above results are after applying the Menzerna 3-in-1 or after applying the Menzerna 3-in-1 plus applying the #7?

Just the Menzerna 3 in 1 so far.

I will be doing the next steps of #7 and wax this weekend.

Mike Phillips

Just the Menzerna 3 in 1 so far.

I will be doing the next steps of #7 and wax this weekend.

Good to hear, looks great so far.

At this point I would recommend applying the #7 using either a soft foam wax applicator or via machine like a simple orbital (Porter Cable/Griot's Garage 6" DA), using a soft foam polishing or finishing pad.

The use of terry cloth is only when removing oxidation. After the oxidation is removed and the #7 is being used to gorge the paint and maximize the full richness of color for the pigments - terry cloth is no longer needed and you want to use something soft and gentle to the paint.

Apply well, massage in and over paint, remove immediately. Don't worry about removing 100% of the oily film, I get about 95% of the #7 off and then apply my LSP.

Any residual oils will mix with the wax and then wipe off with the wax.

Don't worry about "bonding" or all the other nonsense the AR crowd brings up for wax and sealant applications to single stage paints. It's simply not a crucial factor.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I am revisiting the 1950 Cadillac this week. Due to owner's schedule I haven't been able to complete the car. I have an interior question. When we washed the car for the first time in 20 years. The seals leaked a bit, and left water marks on the original vinyl seat covers. What technique / product would you use to remove them. The owner wanted mew to use a rug doctor on it, but I am a little unsure of using that on it. He does not want to remove them for fear of not getting them back on.

Mike Phillips

Mike, I am revisiting the 1950 Cadillac this week.

Due to owner's schedule I haven't been able to complete the car. I have an interior question.

When we washed the car for the first time in 20 years. The seals leaked a bit, and left water marks on the original vinyl seat covers. What technique / product would you use to remove them. The owner wanted mew to use a rug doctor on it, but I am a little unsure of using that on it. He does not want to remove them for fear of not getting them back on.

Sorry for the delay but I just now found your post.

Where are you at with this?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

I'm curious as to why you recommended a cleaner wax instead of a polish in Step 2? Especially since you applied a finishing wax in Step 4.

Is the cleaner wax more gentle / safer for the old, single-stage paint?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Sorry for the delay but I just now found your post.

Where are you at with this?

As far as the exterior, I got the all in one stage done. I haven't got to the #7 stage.

At this point I will use a waterless wash in the spring and then apply it. Right now the Menzerna all in one at least has some protection on it. I do wish the Black Fire product was out then. The results seem to look even better, at least in the pictures. I'm not sure how much better it is. As far as the seats that I was asking about. I didn't want to use an interior machine. So, I just used a slightly wet microfiber to go over the water marks. Surprisingly iyt worked. On the stubborn marks I added just a touch of VLR and it took care of them.

Hopefully this thread will remain and I will post to it when I revisit the car.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post

Hi Mike,

I'm curious as to why you recommended a cleaner wax instead of a polish in Step 2?

Especially since you applied a finishing wax in Step 4.

Is the cleaner wax more gentle / safer for the old, single-stage paint?

Hi derass,

If you go back and read my reply IN the first post you can tell by what I wrote that I spoke with the owner on the phone,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Hi Tom,

I enjoyed talking to you also about this project.
    The owner told me he ALREADY OWNED Menzerna 3-in-1 - which is a one-step cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant, same thing, different protection ingredients.

That's why I recommended it - because he already owns it and it is a very good product and by that I mean it uses very good abrasive technology. If you read enough of my posts on this forum you'll see I'm keen on using products that use great abrasive technology - to me it IS the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint.

Great question - thank you for asking.

Mike Phillips

Hopefully this thread will remain and I will post to it when I revisit the car.

This thread will remain.

Just to note - we NEVER delete threads on this forum. Threads and posts can be "MOVED" to the Moderators Forum Group but never deleted for legal reasons.

So yeah... your thread will be here when you're ready to update it. Just bookmark it so you can find it easily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12