autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer

^ wait a minute, they don't?

Post Thanks / Like

The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    ^ wait a minute, they don't?
    I know right? Then why the heck did they name them that?! And I'm the idiot? Geez...

Yet I'm supposed to know veal is baby cow...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    I've seen Rupes machines make holograms with microfiber cutting pads when the machines speed settings were too high. It's not just from rotary buffers it's caused by heat. Get a DA to heat up the paint and poor polishing techniques and it will cause holograms as well and buffer trails
    It's still micro marring which may "look" like holograms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dunno man maybe, but they looked no different than holograms on the hood of this car. Wish I had a photo. Clear coat doesn't know what machine is being used it just knows heat and pad movement.

Trust me, fire up a Rupes 21 mkII with a washer mod and a thin microfiber cutting pad and you can install holograms if you wanted.

Mike Phillips

I've seen Rupes machines make holograms with microfiber cutting pads when the machines speed settings were too high.

It's not just from rotary buffers it's caused by heat.

Get a DA to heat up the paint and poor polishing techniques and it will cause holograms as well and buffer trails

First - I appreciate you input.

Second - I have to respectfully disagree. One of the purposes of this article was to define the differences in the TYPES of scratches commonly found in car paint. One very specific type of SCRATCH pattern is the scratch pattern instilled by a rotary buffer and it's unique single rotating action.

The tool you're speaking about is a free spinning orbital polisher. Yes it can leave micro-marring in car paint but the type of scratch pattern it's leaving is different than the scratch pattern inflicted by the single rotating action of a rotary buffer.

I would highly recommend that the next time you see the scratch pattern you're describing that you take good picture and then please, write your own article with the pictures and a description of what you're seeing. Anyone can write an article, it's not that hard especially if you have a passion for teaching or helping others.

Moving forward I'm going to continue adding pictures of holograms from a rotary buffer to this thread. It will be a picture resource that documents this specific type of scratch pattern from rotary buffers. I will also write an article for pictures caused by micro-marring from orbital polishers.

Then in the future when someone starts a thread and calls micro-marring holograms I can simply share the link to the two articles to educate on what the different types of scratch patterns are and how they are inflicted into car paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

I agree.

When the pad or the abrasive a person is using with an orbital polisher is leaving micro-marring you WILL see a pattern in the paint that mimic or copies the way the polisher was moved over the paint.

So "yes' there is a trail but the scratch pattern does not equal the definition of holograms.

So the trick now is to come up with a universally accepted term for the trails or patterns left in the paint by micro=marring from oribital polishers.

As a "write", I'm probably a lot more keen to using words correctly than most people, that's just me but it is important.

What I have so far is,

Orbital Buffer Trails
    Orbital Buffer Micro-marring
    Shadow-effect
    Orbital Polisher Shadow effect
    Micro-marring
    Tick marks
    DA Haze

Just need a word or term (group of words) that nails it.

In my how-to book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine, I define holograms on page 32 and on page 36 I list micro-marring from orbital polishers as simply,

Micro-marring
    Tick marks
    DA Haze

Need something that also creates the picture in your minds eye of a pattern or trails.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

But if it "looks" just like holograms and requires the same polishing process to be corrected like holograms, well isn't that holograms?

I guess that was my point. Just bringing up this experience for pure discussion purposes only so my apologies

Mike Phillips

But if it "looks" just like holograms and requires the same polishing process to be corrected like holograms, well isn't that holograms?
    I simply look at things like this from a writer's point of view and also as a teacher. It's important that the words we use actually stand for something specific otherwise it causes confusion.

For most in the car detailing world they will continue to use words interchangeably forever. For example calling a wax a glaze or calling a synthetic sealant a glaze or calling a polish a glaze.

A glaze is a very specific type of product but since there's no Word Police in the car detailing world companies use the word glaze willy-nilly and plaster it all over every type of product.

Again not a big deal to the masses but I for one need words to have standardized meanings in order to have intellectual conversations with people be it on TV, in a classroom, in a video, in how-to book or on a forum.

I guess that was my point. Just bringing up this experience for pure discussion purposes only so my apologies

No apologies needed, the point you bring up is a good one and it actually demonstrates the confusion over different types of paint defects and the words used to describe them. Your posts in this thread have made this thread better.

Mike Phillips

***Update***

Just to note, I swapped out the hologram pictures using a light colored car with hologram pictures using a black Corvette as it makes it easier to see exactly what holograms look like.

Of course.... we removed the holograms....

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I may be able to help here a bit to further describe Holograms.

Rotary Instilled Holograms= These are tiny directional scratches caused by rotary polishers.

Mike has posted great pictures here but what pictures do not provide is the dancing effect that these holograms give as you walk around or change the light angles(think of the northern lights type of effect.) The reason rotary holograms dance is due to the nature of the one directional scratch pattern left behind that only a rotary polisher can perform. Your eye catches and doesn't catch the light refraction from the scratch at certain angles as you walk around giving you the appearance of dancing or being just above the paint. The reason you are able to see where the buffer has been is simply due to the last section of the pad to touch the paint generally leaves the lines we all call holograms.

DA Instilled Micro-Marring= These are tiny Multi-directional scratches caused by DA type polishers.

Micro-marring is also called DA haze or Tick marks on the forums. These are tiny scratches often from a compounding process with a DA. The main difference between micro-marring is that it is a multi-directional scratch pattern. If you look at it and walk around, it won't dance like rotary holograms. This is due to the consistent scratch pattern left behind from a DA. This scratch pattern is generally constant thru all observable angles thus not giving the dancing effect. It appears more of a dullness with visible trails running thru it sometimes due to the center line of the pad/polish combo leaving the most micro scratches behind

Hope this helps.
    Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast