autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Mike Phillips

Re: Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Except for switching out the Griot's G9 for the older model, the Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher, this how-to article is just as accurate today as it was the day I wrote it.

Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher

Mike Phillips

Re: Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

More....

Read this too....

Backing Plate Swap - 5 inch backing plate for the Griot's Garage G9

For everyone purchasing a Griot's Garage G9 random orbital polisher, (either from Autogeek or somewhere else), it comes from the factory, (in the box), with a 6" backing plate. I'm telling you straight-up, this tool has the POWER to turn and churn any 6" and larger pads that you attach to this size backing plate.

BUT - the way my mind thinks is like this,

After purchasing the tool, the next thing you're going to do is start investing money into pads. Smaller diameter pads fit modern car body panels better. That's simply a fact. So before investing your hard earned money in 6" and larger diameter pads, bite the bullet and get the Griot's 5" backing plate and THEN start investing in 5.5" and 6" buffing pads.

I guarantee you - you will appreciate this as time goes by.

Here's my personal G9 - given to me by Griot's. I tend to put my name on all my work tools for 2 reasons,

1: So if someone steals any of the tools they'll remember where they stole it from and who.

2: It's in my contract that I can keep all prototypes and new tools given to me by tool companies. I have a nice collection to date.

In the below picture you can also see the 5" backing plate compared to the factory installed 6" backing plate.

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this post Mike. This is very informative and helped me prepare for starting out with my G9 coming in. I was hoping to see coverage on cleaning the pads too but I understand that more of a maintenance topic rather then an application. I’m sure I’ll find a write up on that shortly by searching.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RNR89JV View Post

Thanks for this post Mike. This is very informative and helped me prepare for starting out with my G9 coming in.

I was hoping to see coverage on cleaning the pads too but I understand that more of a maintenance topic rather then an application. I’m sure I’ll find a write up on that shortly by searching.

Around here we use pads on such a grand scale that the only time-effective way to clean all our pads is in a normal washing machine and dryer. I show this in a photo-documentation of what it's like to take one of my classes.

From this class...

Pictures: 2020 September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

From page 2 of the thread,

Here's the single stage paint on some of the pads the classed used before I throw them into the washing machine.

As I type it's the Wednesday after the 3-day class. On Monday we do IDA Skills Validation Testing, (Phase II), and then the Boss gives me Tuesday off to recharge my batteries, then Wednesday I return to work and start playing catch-up. First thing I do is start doing paper work. Things like expense reports, new product inventory forms, profit & loss worksheet and forms for the IDA Skills Validation tests.

While I'm getting paper work caught up I also start laundry. The washing machine and dryer can be going while I do desk work and it's MUCH BETTER to wash buffing pads and microfiber towels as soon as possible.

During the class I was asked this question....

Can you re-use buffing pads used for Single Stage Paint?

My answer was "yes". Then today, if you look above this post you'll see the buffing pads with green single stage paint on them. Below is how these exact same pads look after washing and drying.

Here's the same pads you see above with GREEN paint on them as they come out of the old school Agitator style washing machine. Impressive.

Here I've laid them out to the best of my ability like you see in the BEFORE picture above in post #16

There's even MORE pictures showing all the pads washed after this class on page 2

And from last year's boat class...

Pictures: 2020 Boat Detailing Class - SOLD OUT!

Here’s just one aspect of clean-up

Washing the gel-coat out 24 RUPES Wool Cutting Pads.

I then blew them off using the Tornador Air Blowout Gon and laid them out to air dry.

Back to cleaning up the Training Academy.

Mike Phillips

And more....

Just last week, at LIVE Detailing Class we do every Thursday starting at 3:00pm Eastern Time, Jason Brennan from Lake Country Pads was our guest and he demonstrates how to use the NEW Lake Country System 4000 Deluxe Pad Washer

Check it out here...

This new design works incredibly well. Plus - you're always using CLEAN water to clean the pads, not recycled water, which means you're always injecting the dirty pads with dirty water.

Lake Country System 4000 Deluxe Pad Washer

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567