autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Help buffing original single stage paint on 1981 Mustang and 1964 Rambler?

Sit back, relax and watch this video. This video will explain all the concepts and techniques you need to know in order to safely and correctly buff uot your car.

The video shows the Porter Cable 7424XP but the Griot's 6" DA is basically a more powerful version of the Porter Cable tool.

Then read these articles. I'd highly recommend reading the first one before starting and avoid all the common mistakes most people make when first starting out by getting HEAD KNOWLEDGE FIRST.

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

Downward Pressure....What is "Moderate"? --> another guy started this thread by the actual "how-to" information is something I wrote back in 2004 --> original source

How to divide larger body panels into smaller sections for machine buffing

How To Do a Test Spot

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    That's a great starter pack. Heck most body shops, car dealerships and hack detailers don't have this high caliber of tools, pads and products thus all the hologram hack work we see and read about all the time.

Do I have a link? I lots of links.... here's the one you need to read...

Here's the link to my collection of #7 articles.... heck I don't even work for Meguiar's and I have more articles on their products than any of their employees....
    I did quite a bit of research prior to jumping on a machine, and decided that for my current skillset and game plan, the GG6 would be the perfect fit for me. Until I gain more experience and knowledge, and hopefully turn this from a hobby to more of a side business. Then once I start bringing in more and more clients, then I can step up to their larger throw machines. I have a lot of trust in their products and machines so far. Once I hone my skills in with their products, I may eventually step my game up to Pinnacle products, pair up with my GG machines. I have an almost OCD type knack for a clean surface, in almost any manner. A smooth defect free granite counter top, my concrete slab back patio after a fresh pressure wash, and of course a smooth, glossy, defect free paint job. So I definitely feel like detail work/paint correction is going to be almost a second nature process for me.

And thank you for the links to the #7 process, I'm always interested I learning pretty much anything I can to help benefit me.

3-4 passes just gets the compound or polish working.... I'd shoot for at least 6 section passes.

Looking forward to the before and after pictures.

Note: The before pictures are the most important. If you don't take any you can never go back into time to get them. At least not until Sheldon invents the Time Machine.
    6 passes it is. Of course I'll start off with my test spot and see how well that fairs on my particular paint before I move on.

Before and after photos will definitely be taken. Not only to see for my own personal satisfaction, but also to educate others in my world and hopefully start bringing in work for myself.

Sit back, relax and watch this video. This video will explain all the concepts and techniques you need to know in order to safely and correctly buff uot your car.

The video shows the Porter Cable 7424XP but the Griot's 6" DA is basically a more powerful version of the Porter Cable tool.

Then read these articles. I'd highly recommend reading the first one before starting and avoid all the common mistakes most people make when first starting out by getting HEAD KNOWLEDGE FIRST.

Downward Pressure....What is "Moderate"? --> another guy started this thread by the actual "how-to" information is something I wrote back in 2004 --> original source
    Oh trust me, I've watched that exact video at least three times this week, and actually taken notes while doing so every time
    I've also watched every other video in that series at least twice; from engine bay cleaning, to glass polishing, to the rinseless/waterless washes. On top of those I also watched some of the DeTalks Series from The Rag Company Guys.
    I've been doing enough research, video watching, and reading for a person on the outside to probably think I've lost my mind, and almost become obsessed. But in my opinion, you can never have too much knowledge. Hell, I would love to come down for one of your Boot Camp classes, because I'm very much a hands on learner..but at the moment financially, that's not quite in the cards.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fwankie View Post

Hell, I would love to come down for one of your Boot Camp classes, because I'm very much a hands on learner..but at the moment financially, that's not quite in the cards.

Subscribe to these two threads, maybe we'll be in your area in the future.

2017 Schedule for All Autogeek Detailing Classes

2018 Schedule for All Autogeek Detailing Classes

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Subscribe to these two threads, maybe we'll be in your area in the future.

2017 Schedule for All Autogeek Detailing Classes

2018 Schedule for All Autogeek Detailing Classes

Fingers are crossed for that! I'll have to check those links later..can't open them at work. Thank you for all of your help though!

OH!..one more question! Looks like the 4Runner had a protective film added to the lower part of the rear doors as well as the forward portion of the rear fender flares. Let's just say, these films have seen better days. Any tips/product recommendations for removing them without destroying anything??

Mike Phillips

Fingers are crossed for that! I'll have to check those links later..can't open them at work. Thank you for all of your help though!
    And any update?

Another case of disappearing pictures....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12