autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Can you recommend an orbital polisher? This is for more than just weekend work at home.

Can you recommend an orbital polisher? This is for more than just weekend work at home.

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

So I get an e-mail asking,

Hi Mike,

I watch many of your videos, need some advice. I am working myself at a vw dealership in canada.my boss buys lots of used 17s like BMW, audi etc. and they are black , rentals and car washed to death.

I am getting a pretty good shine with a makita 9227c however finishing sometimes can be swirly .

I am the only guy and am in a hurry sometimes .They do not want to spend much as I am doing pretty good with what I have. Not every car has a problem. I wet sand the bad scratches and buff whole car for car wash marks

Can you recommend a da as this is more than just weekend work at home. Looking at pc 7424 ,griots 6, griots boss 15 or flex 3401 as I am used to rotary .

thanks ...

James

Hi James,

Rotary buffers impart holograms scratches. You might not see them on light colored cars but chances are good they are there.

Id' recommend getting one of these,

Griot's Garage 6" ROP - Standard cord

Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher - HD Cord - 25' Heavy Duty Cord already pre-wired

You will also need a backing plate and pads

Whether you purchase your polisher from Autogeek or not, here's what you'll need to buff out a car....

You'll want and need a 5" Backing plate

NOTE: These are all 5" backing plates so you can turn and churn 5.5" foam and microfiber buffing pads which are for the most part the best all-around, all-purpose size pads for buffing out modern cars.

Lake Country 5" Backing Plate

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

Buff and Shine Dual Action 5 Inch Backing Plate

Pad options on Autogeek.com

Foam pads

Go with one of these,

Lake Country 5.5" Flat pads <-- Simplest pads available, makes these bubba-proof

6 Inch Buff & Shine Uro-Tec Foam Pads

Or if you really want to go fast and not worry about the pad stalling like you get with any free spinning orbital polisher, then get the FLEX 3401

FLEX 3401 Gear-driven orbital polisher

I would also recommend joining this forum and simply post your questions to the forum instead of sending them to me via e-mail.

Click here to join the AGO forum

This forum is the most powerful detailing tool you can have on your side.

Mike Phillips

Re: Can you recommend an orbital polisher? This is for more than just weekend work at home.

Since you're considering the Griot's BOSS 15 I'd suggest reading the below too...

The BIG PICTURE is this - if a company makes a "system" then budget to buy the system, not just the tool.

I explain ALL of this in my article here,

FLEX 3401 or RUPES? - A question I get asked a lot! -Mike Phillips