autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Be sure to store your mitts and towels in dust proof containers. I have plastic chests with drawers I store mine in. I even keep the towels and mitts inside plastic bags in the drawers for good measure.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

Be sure to store your mitts and towels in dust proof containers. I have plastic chests with drawers I store mine in. I even keep the towels and mitts inside plastic bags in the drawers for good measure.

Thanks for adding....

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting dizzy realizing all the things I did NOT know about how to properly care for my car's paint. I have a Griot's 6" buffer and am shopping for the pads I need (using Mothers two-step compound & polish after Mothers clay bar treatment before I ultimately use their synthetic wax).

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on 6 orange LC pads (to use with the rubbing compound) and 3 or 4 white (for the polishing step). The vehicle is a 2014 black E-class that has plenty of swirl marks from the prior owner and a few scratches I'd love to make disappear. I also wanted a recommendation on a soap to use in the washing machine for all the pads and all the towels I'll be using - looks like autogeek recommends three different ones? I'm assuming I can wash both the pads and the microfiber towels with the same type of soap?

I've had the microfiber towels I use to apply synthetic wax for years, and am looking for replacements on those as well. Are the Cobra Gold Plush Jr. a good choice to apply wax by hand?

This is a fantastic wealth of information so thank you for posting all of it!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fju2112 View Post

I'm getting dizzy realizing all the things I did NOT know about how to properly care for my car's paint.

I have a Griot's 6" buffer

Do you have the factory installed 6" backing plate? As in 6" in diameter?

If so - I would strongly recommend getting a 5" backing plate and then you can invest your money in SMALLER pads.

Smaller diameter pads are going to rotate better on this tool and also fit your body panels better.

With a 6" backing plate you have to buy 6.5" or 7" pads. (diameter)

With a 5" backing plate you can buy 5.5 and 6" pads - mucho better

This is a fantastic wealth of information so thank you for posting all of it!

That's what we aim for, fantastic wealth of information

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the quick response! I just ordered the 5" backing plate, about 6 orange CCS lake country pads and 4 white CCS lake country pads.

Any reason for a beginning to go with the "flat" vs. the CCS with this buffer?

I'm seeing that one can wash the pads themselves in a washing machine with the proper detergent; is that better/worse/same as using one of the pad cleaning products that just allows one to spray (or scoop) and soak?

Thanks again!

Mike Phillips

thanks for the quick response! I just ordered the 5" backing plate, about 6 orange CCS lake country pads and 4 white CCS lake country pads.

Any reason for a beginning to go with the "flat" vs. the CCS with this buffer?

I'm a flat pad kind of guy. Anytime you introduce a "design" into the face of the pad you increase the risk for "issues".

Plus cleaning a flat pad with a nylon brush is fast and easy. With a design, now what? Spend your time pushing the tips of the bristles into each design to clean it out? There's a bunch of different pads that have a "design" to them on the market, for example the Hexlogic pads.

I was at Meguiar's when they introduced their foam pads for the So1o System. Where are they now? They're gone. I was in a marketing meeting at Meguiar's when this system launched and I asked a marketing guy what the PURPOSE was for the Diamond Cut Grooves across the face of the foam pads in this new line or system. He said, (I'm paraphrasing),

There's no purpose, we've just been selling a flat pad for decades, it's time to change things up"

Again - where are these pads today? Their gone.

I don't care if other detailing gurus like, use and endorse foam pads with designs but me? I'm a flat pad guy.

I'm seeing that one can wash the pads themselves in a washing machine with the proper detergent; is that better/worse/same as using one of the pad cleaning products that just allows one to spray (or scoop) and soak?

Thanks again!

I wash all our pads in a conventional, top loading washer with an agitator and then dry them in a normal front loading dryer. Once in a while I lose a pad, that is the velcro backing comes off, but it's fairly far and few between. The pads come out clean and WE use them for years even decades around here.

Look through this thread, on page 2 or 3 I show dirty pads and then clean pads and how they got that way.

Training Cars - For the September 2020 Detailing Class

Most of those pads are still in the garage and my class will be getting them dirty again this weekend and then during the class and after the class I'll be washing, drying and storing them for the next class.

SHOCK and AWE Detailing Class! TOOLS - TOOLS - TOOLS!

10. Likes fju2112 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a dedicated washer/dryer for the pads?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast