autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Full BLOWN RUPES Show Car Detailing on a Full Blown 1936 Ford Streetrod by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

40k is an unbelievable price for that car! WOW.
    Oh yeah... that's called car theft. It might have been 40K plus but in that range.

Just this morning I was driving through slowly on the freeway when I heard the undeniable sound of the whine of a supercharger. Sure enough, turn to my side, and spot the scoop poking through the hood of a ratty looking 40's Chevy truck. Music to my ears.

The BBC on this hotrod looks beautiful.
    I'm a big block Chevy guy myself. Most everything I've ever owned either came with a big block Chevy or I installed a big block Chevy.

There's no bragging rights to say,

"Yeah... she's got a small block"

And yeah yeah yeah... I've heard all the small block Chevy guys argue about the benefits of lighter weight for racing and handling and the extreme horsepower, RPM's and torgue you can get out of a small block but at the end of the day,

2. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Full BLOWN RUPES Show Car Detailing on a Full Blown 1936 Ford Streetrod by Mike Phillips

Always interesting the excitement in the FB world for anything RUPES

Look at these numbers after I made this post yesterday...

RUPES --> <-- RUPES

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And yeah yeah yeah... I've heard all the small block Chevy guys argue about the benefits of lighter weight for racing and handling and the extreme horsepower, RPM's and torgue you can get out of a small block but at the end of the day,

LOL - I'm a small block Chevy guy myself. But I was never one to argue which is best. After all, NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT! I was plenty happy with my little mouse motor. 355ci in my '67 Deuce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Always interesting the excitement in the FB world for anything RUPES

Look at these numbers after I made this post yesterday...

RUPES --> <-- RUPES

That's insane. Rupes has that type of....i don't know what to call it. When I learned about the new Makita and Rupes tools coming out, I was talking to my wife about it. To make her understand a bit better, I told her that Rupes is sort of like the iPhone and that Flex is like Android. Rupes seems to have that type of following. So would DeWalt be like Blackberry and Makita be Windows Phone?

Post Thanks / Like

Another + 1 on the 808! Great product!

Mike Phillips

LOL - I'm a small block Chevy guy myself. But I was never one to argue which is best. After all, NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!

I was plenty happy with my little mouse motor. 355ci in my '67 Deuce.
    And that's a cool car and a small block Chevy will easily push her down the road... bragging is overrated anyways...

That's insane. Rupes has that type of....i don't know what to call it.

When I learned about the new Makita and Rupes tools coming out, I was talking to my wife about it. To make her understand a bit better, I told her that Rupes is sort of like the iPhone and that Flex is like Android.

Rupes seems to have that type of following. So would DeWalt be like Blackberry and Makita be Windows Phone?
    Those sound like great questions for our tech guru Yancy.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Agree. It really a nice spray-on synthetic sealant that creates incredible gloss...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

One thing about it though - it does tend to separate when left standing.

I use to show it in my classes when we go over the RUPES paint polishing system but now days everyone wants to learn coatings so I show coatings.

Here's a recent example....

Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

Continued....

The RUPES Paint Polishing System

For this RUPES hands-on detailing class we're going to be working on two BLACK cars. Don't they say BLACK PAINT is the hardest to correct and make perfect?

So let's put RUPES to the test.

The training cars for the RUPES class are the 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo SS and a 2005 Ford Thunderbird Convertible.

First let's take a look at the Monte Carlo.

Micro-Marring

Here's how the hood looked. What you're seeing in this picture is called micro-marring. Micro-marring is a SPECIFIC scratch-pattern caused by either the abrasive technology or too aggressive of a pad and sometimes from both of these things. It is induced by an ORBITAL polisher, NOT a rotary buffer. Roger owns this Monte Carlo and says this is how the paint was when he purchased the car. This means the last person to detail or machine polish this car is clueless as to what they are doing. They should take this class.

Here's a recent article I wrote on micro-marring.

Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Step 1: Waterless Wash to clean the Monte Carlo

For this we used the BLACKFIRE Paint Prep. (sorry no pictures)

Step 2: Mechanically decontaminate the paint.

For this we used Mothers Detailing Clay and Mothers Instant Detailer

Step 3: Test Spot

As the guy that coined the term Test Spot for the detailing industry, I'm very comfortable explaining why to do one and then how to do one or in some cases, 2 or 3 Test Spots. After doing our Test Spot we found the RUPES Yellow/Yellow was all that was needed to correct the paint and finish out to acceptable, show car results on black paint.

Step 4: Paint correction and perfecting

Pads
    For pads we used the RUPES Yellow Polishing Pads

Product
    For product we used RUPES Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish 250 ml

Tools
    Students are allowed and encouraged, and even helped by yours truly to use all of the RUPES tools or at least all the RUPES tools they are interested in using.

Here's Roger and Ronnie working on the hood of the Monte Carlo.

This looks to be a RUPES BigFoot 15 Legacy model.

This looks to be a RUPES BigFoot 15 Mark III model.

In the back are Josh and Eric.

Eric is using the RUPES Mille with the 5" backing plate and a RUPES yellow BigFoot pad, (not the Mille pad)

Josh looks like he's using a RUPES BigFoot 21 Mark II model.

While one team is training on the Monte Carlo,

From this shot you can see 2 cars are being detailed at the same time - both using RUPES. My RUPES classes are strictly HANDS-ON. There is no power point and no sitting in chairs.

Step 5: Chemically Stripping the Paint

To chemically strip the paint we used the BLACKFIRE Paint Prep. (sorry no pictures)

Step 6: Installing the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating

BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating is a 2 year ceramic paint coating.

Here's Ronnie installing BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating to the front clip of the Monte Carlo.

Here you can easily see the ceramic paint coating being wiped onto the paint and flashing...

And another car....

Continued...

Now we'll take a look at the T-bird. Earlier in the morning we washed the Ford Thunderbird to clean the fabric top to show the correct way to apply RaggTopp. You can read about this here. While washing the car we also chemically decontaminated the paint and then mechanically decontaminated the paint - so we don't need to do these steps and instead can go right to the Test Spot.

Step 1: Test Spot

Like the Monte Carlo, we found the paint on both cars that it could easily be corrected and perfected using RUPES Yellow/Yellow. When you see the pad and product described like this, it's RUPES LINGO.

Step 2: Machine correct and perfect the paint

Here's Mike and Luis working over the hood....

Looks like Mike is using the RUPES Mille with the dedicated THIN Mille yellow foam polishing pad.

Looks like Luis is using the RUPES BigFoot 15 Mark II model

At the back of the car, Armando is using the RUPES Mille with what looks like the larger Mille 7" yellow foam polishing pad.

Down on the passenger side fender is Michael, I can't tell which polisher he's using but looks like either a BigFoot 15 or 21

Out back is Jennifer using a Mille and David looks t be using a RUPES BigFoot 15 Legacy model.

NOTE how the canvas cloth top is covered up to protect it using Autogeek Cover-up Towels? That's because we treated it with the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant and we don't want to get any compound or polish splatter onto it.

Step 3: Chemically Stripping the Paint

To chemically strip the paint we used the BLACKFIRE Paint Prep. (sorry no pictures)

Step 4: Installing the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating

BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating is a 2 year ceramic paint coating.

Here's Luis installing BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating to the front clip of the Ford Thunderbird.

Most ceramic coatings have a RAINBOW appearance under the right light when flashing off...

Pinnacle Black Label Tire Coating was just recently launched so I brought some for the class to test out. Unlike a tire dressing, this product dries to the touch and creates a deep, dark almost plastic appearance with one application. Most tire coatings take multiple applications to create a deep, dark black look.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12