autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Fair but competitive price for a wash, and or exterior wash/wax for a Ford F-150 that is black

Fair but competitive price for a wash, and or exterior wash/wax for a Ford F-150 that is black

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs

So I get an e-mail asking,

Good afternoon from San Diego.

Hey Mr. Phillips,

I wanted to ask you a question and some guidance as well. First let me ask what would be a fair but competitive price for a wash, and or exterior wash/wax for a Ford F-150. And it's black.

I'm trying to start my own mobile detailing business and I am really willing to go thru what it takes.

Thank you in advance,

Julius

Great questions Julius,

My frist recommendation would be join this forum and ask your questions to this forum. This forum will be your most powefull tool for being succesfful in your business. More powerful than any buffer you will ever buy.

Click here to join the AGO forum

I don't answer quetiosn via e-mail or any form of messaging for all the reasons I listed above and in this article I wrote here,

Please post your questions to our discussion forum - Don't send them to me in a PM or E-mail...

I love to help people but typing out in-depth answers that often include pictures, videos and links to even MORE information doesn't work well via e-mail or any form of messaging but worst of all, only one set of eyeballs see and benefit from the information.

Most people that e-mail me have the abitlity to type so they have the ability to join the forum and post their questions here. If they won't do this then I'll do it for them because I simply don't have the time to answer questions for one set of eyeballs now day.

Make sense?

Now on to your questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Julius

First let me ask what would be a fair but competitive price for a wash, and or exterior wash/wax for a Ford F-150. And it's black.
    What I think would be fair for the average detailer to drive to someone's house and then ONLY wash their vehicle would be in the $60.00 range and that's on the low side once you factor in your gas and time to drive to their location.

Washing any average size car and doing a professional job, (professional means thorough), will take you at least an hour from set-up to finished. I've documented myself washing my wife's SL 500 in under 30 minutes but I regularly maintain this car with frequent washings and it always has a paint coating on the paint, glass, plastic and wheels. (this means it stays clean, washes fast and dries fast otherwise it would take me an hour).

A large truck will take longer when you consider you'll need a Werner Work Platform, stepstool, step ladder or ladder to get into the truck bed so you can wash the roof and also wash out the bed.

If the black truck in in NEW or EXCELLENT CONDITION like I list on page 37 of my how-to book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine then in order to avoid putting scratches into the perfect paint you will have to be more careful and this will mean more time.

If the truck is a daily driver and all swirled out and the only goal is to simply get the dirt off and make the swirly paint shiny, then at least one hour from start to finish.

If the wheels are SEVERLY neglected, as in the front wheels have baked-on, caked-on road grime and brake dust to the point they are BROWN and the owner expects these to be restored to like new then figure on around 20 to 30 minutes for each wheel and this will also require some very good chemistry in your choice of wheel cleaner and some good brushes.

I've outlined the above scenarios because you didn't describe the current condition of the truck or the expectation of the owner. So don't know if that helps but there's a chunk of information for you to think through.

I'm really good at this kind of stuff and really fast. My artificial leg doesn't make me slower than any person with two legs for this type of work. Here's an example of a Chevy Tahoe I washed THOROUGHLY and it took me one hour.

High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips

The issue you may run into is that living in Southern California you will have a lot of detailing competition where your competitors will drive to someone's house and wash a car or truck for half this price and even less.

Getting a person to pay you a higher price starts with two things,

1: Having a good reputation for doing quality work the first time.

If you do good work your first time customers will become long-time customers. If you don't then you'll never build up a profitable customer base.

2: Educating your customer

If you don't know what your doing (head knowledge), then you cannot explain to your potential customer why paying your $60.00 just to wash their black Ford F150 is a better value than paying anyone else $30.00 to wash their truck.

I'm trying to start my own mobile detailing business and I am really willing to go thru what it takes.
    Join this forum an start reading and more important, start threads asking questions. You will LEARN a lot and it is your education of the craft of car detailing that will separate you from the competition and enable you to be successful.

Here's a saying I have,

A successful detailer starts with the brain not the buffer

Most guys think all they need to do to become a successful detailer is get a buffer and get busy. That is SO FAR from the truth. You need and want head knowledge and then you can work smarter, not harder and make a profit instead of losing mony and becoming frustrated and giving up.

Then next best thing you can do is attend one of my classes. I'm both happy and proud to say I teach the best hands-on detailing class on planet Earth. I would never take anything away from my good friend Renny Doyle or Todd Cooperdier, (the only two other guys that I know that have a good and known reputation for being "instructors". I've never taken their classes but I know what I teach in my classes and I've seen the results over the years and heard a LOT of feedback.

So invest in yourself and attend one of my classes. The class here in Stuart, Florida is $1,795.00 plus you have to travel here and get a hotel room and rent a car plus meals. My classes always sell out and this means most the people that attend these classes are spending around $3000.0 to $4000.00 minimum just to attend this class plus what is purchased in the way off tools and supplies after the class.

When people consistently invest this type of money into the classes we hold here at Autogeek - this is an indicator that the class is what it claims to be.

The other option is sometime in the future I'll have a Roadshow class in California or a nearby state. You need to join the Autogeek Newsletter to hear about this or... be active on this forum.

Here's information about our road show classes, where my credentials are also shared...

Autogeek's 2-Day Roadshow Detailing Classes with Mike Phillips

Thank you in advance,

I hope I've helped you and I hope to see you join the forum and start elevating yourself above the competition.

Mike Phillips

Re: Fair but competitive price for a wash, and or exterior wash/wax for a Ford F-150 that is black

Also....

You should be reading in this forum "group"

Forum: How to make money detailing cars

I'd recommend reading these articles first... (these articles are in the "group" above, they are actually "stickies"

How to choose a name for your detailing business

Brand Yourself, Brand your Forum Nickname and Brand your Business Name

This one is VERY important as it teaches you the IMPORTANCE of having a GREAT one-step CLEANER/WAX in your arsenal

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

Read all the way through this one...

Share your best business card design tip?

And you NEED PACKAGES

See this thread,

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form

Mike Phillips

Re: Fair but competitive price for a wash, and or exterior wash/wax for a Ford F-150 that is black

And from the article I already shared with you specific to your question about how much to charge to wash a Ford F150

Here's screenshots showing the start and stop time for me to wash a Tahoe - approximately one hour.

First thing first and that's to get this Tahoe clean by washing it using the normal wash approach using running water.

The process I used was pretty straightforward and also the steps I outline in my how-to books for the aggressive wash approach.

Step 1: Wash wheels and tires. In this case I machine scrubbed the tires to remove the brown blooming effect. Followed this by washing wheel wells. (See the Mothers Wheel Well Brushes).

Step 2: Start at the top and work my way down washing the Tahoe using Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitt.

Step 3: I decontaminated the hood and front tops of fenders with a Nanoskin Wash Mitt after FIRST washing and thoroughly RINSING off the entire Tahoe.

Step 4: Dried car using Guzzler Waffle Weave drying chamois and then moved the car into the garage.

While I used the aggressive approach to wash this Tahoe that doesn't mean I was careless and grinding new scratches into it, if you've read my how-to book you know it means I washing it THOROUGHLY because I'm taking a machine to it.

Work Stands Save Time
    Werner Aluminum Work Stands are necessary anytime you're washing tall vehicles like SUVs. It's faster to have two one on each side instead of moving a single stand back and forth. Again, doing profitable production work is about saving time not wasting time.

I took a screen shot showing the time I started to wash and the products I used.

Here's a screenshot showing the time I finished including rinsing out all my tools, buckets, putting away all my wash tools and also putting away the water hose.

This is a good article to read,

High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Just to comment....

I easily have 30 minutes of time taking your question sent to me via e-mail and typing out an IN-DEPTH answer that I hope will help you.

Apologies that I simply cannot invest the companies time to create all of the above for one set of eyeballs in a single e-mail.

Thanks for understanding....

And if you're reading this... that means you click on the link that I sent you when I replied to your e-mail.

Mike Phillips

***Request***

Can I get some of our forum members to share what they would charge to wash a black Ford F150 and please include any extra information that would apply.

Thank you in advance....

Post Thanks / Like

I have timed myself and on average it takes me about 7 minutes per wheel if they don't have a lot of baked on brake dust and that includes the face, inside barrels, wheel wells and scrubbing the tires. By the time I blow dry the wheels and tires and apply tire dressing, it's about 10 minutes per wheel. That's about 40 minutes just for the wheels.

On a regular sedan like a Camry, the wash is pretty quick, about 15-20 minutes for a pre-rinse with pressure washer, foam, 2 bucket wash and final rinse.

Drying the car completely with a blower and wiping down the jambs, another 10-15 minutes.

Total time for a 4 door sedan like a Camry about 70-75 minutes.

Then consider set up and tear down time and some travel time - almost 90 minutes.

My goal is to make $60/hr or $1/minute for washing. My minimum price for a wash for mobile is $90. I'll give a discount if there is more than one car at the same location.

At the moment I'm doing this part time. I'm an engineer and work for an engineering company part time to full time so I can pick and choose my detailing jobs. For me to make less than $60/hr detailing is not worth it for me. I charge more for paint correction. My goal there is at least $75/hr.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash - $75.00

Or Wash + Cleaner Wax (my Option 1) - $125.00.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post

My goal is to make $60/hr or $1/minute for washing.

My minimum price for a wash for mobile is $90. I'll give a discount if there is more than one car at the same location.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Wash - $75.00

Or Wash + Cleaner Wax (my Option 1) - $125.00.

Thanks guys.... I really appreciate your taking the time to reply and share very valuable information.

How about a few more people? Can you reply with your process and price?

Post Thanks / Like

honestly I wouldnt do it for less than 100. I know that I will take the time to do each tire, wheel, and wheel well first. Sometimes you have to go over each tire more than once to get them clean. Then I would foam the truck and usually let it sit for a few minutes and then just go into washing it with the two bucket method using straight lines. I would of course dry the truck and make sure the door jambs look good and clean out the gas lid area. Then I would go over the whole thing and wax it, something quick and easy would be meguairs ultimate liquid wax by machine, oorrr you could go with a spray wax like meguiars xpress spray wax.

of course I would also do the windows in and out and then go back and dress the tires and wheel wells. I like to use hyper dressing for those.. and I`ll also just hit the other black trim with the hyper dressing as well real fast even if they didnt want the extended restore option. I want them looking at while its looking as good as it can be.

so for this .. I wouldnt do less than 100. The wash and dry on a truck could take an hour alone. Not to mention dressing everything, door jambs and the windows in and out. Maybe 125 to 150 depending on your market area.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did 2 different 2014 Grand Cherokees here in Upstate NY and I charged $75 each for wash, spray wax dry and wipe down interior.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast