autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Poll: What type of detailing do you do? Production Detailing or Show Car Detailing?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Production Detailing - Daily Drivers

19 25.68%
  • Show Car Detailing - Cool Cars

11 14.86%
  • Both

44 59.46%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poll: What type of detailing do you do? Production Detailing or Show Car Detailing?

Can't trust what that guy said...he's a traitor. (haven't seen the latest one, though)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poll: What type of detailing do you do? Production Detailing or Show Car Detailing?

I am able to do both but the majority of what I've done have been production so I voted production.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

My business is new and I have been called for a lot of production detailing, but hope to get more show car detailing jobs now that the car shows are coming back to the Raleigh area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Like many - I voted both but again, more production detailing than SIVs.

New Zealand is only small in terms of population (just over four million) but our love for cars is strong. Where I live, my town has about thirty five thousand people, & although high calibre exotics are few & far between, the classic car & hot rod scene is very healthy. That being said - I couldn't keep the shop open just working on SIVs.

I kinda twist a bit on the production side of the coin too - I have built quite the reputation for polishing paint, & I often save our local car dealerships thousands on vehicles that previously would've gone straight to the bodyshops. I also get some work from bodyshops for "finishing" work too.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

production detailing 100%

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post

Still waiting to work on my first SIV - special interest vehicle. Hope that day arrives soon...sigh.

David

Hang in there... the SIV side of your business will show up. Some guys will test you out on their daily driver and once you prove yourself on the parts-chaser they'll hand you the keys of their real ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

I kinda twist a bit on the production side of the coin too - I have built quite the reputation for polishing paint, & I often save our local car dealerships thousands on vehicles that previously would've gone straight to the bodyshops.

I also get some work from bodyshops for "finishing" work too.

Aaryn NZ.

I've seen your work. You know what you're doing. Your reputation is well-earned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Poll: What type of detailing do you do? Production Detailing or Show Car Detailing?

Production Detailing = Using a one-step cleaner/wax for daily drivers and grocery getters. Note some people call a cleaner/wax an AIO whatever term you like but they are the same things, just different words.

Show Car Detailing = Using a dedicated compound and polish to perfect the paint and then using either a finishing wax, a finishing sealant or a ceramic or quartz paint coating. In other words, you're doing multiple steps on usually a cool car, not a grocery getter.

Bot types are honorable and good. Just very different for the market place.

I accommodate both money is money.You may do production and get a full paintcorrect from a referral.

Post Thanks / Like

Show car detailing all the way. I'm retired so nothing but classic cars baby!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Both for me too. I started with daily drivers, and still do many of them. But my B-I-L has several muscle cars I maintain, and his friends have contacted me too.
    But I do have a client that has fantastic cars...not Ferrari's and Lambo's, he is into pre-war cars. I started on a 1914 Renault, then did his 1918 White truck. He has spent the past 14 years designing, parts gathering, and building a 1912 Indy 'tribute' race car. I was lucky enough to detail it for it's initial outing, and have been traveling with him to shows for several years to speak about the car and to help haul home the trophies!

Post Thanks / Like

I voted both. I was in the same camp as Jeff, money is money, whatever people want to have done I was willing. Now that I have the little one running around and I'm finishing up on grad school on top of working a "real" full time job, my free time is super precious to me. So unless it's someone whose car I've previously worked on, I'm generally not taking on any more production work. On the plus side, I'm a lot more confident and unforgiving on how I price the higher end work. Realizing that my time is worth a certain amount, I'm turning away some work that I previously might have negotiated on. This is better for me and how I ultimately want to structure my side business.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast