autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Decontaminating and Foam Gun Washing a Barn Find by Mike Phillips - GTechniq Citrus Foam and Iron and Fallout Remover

Decontaminating and Foam Gun Washing a Barn Find by Mike Phillips - GTechniq Citrus Foam and Iron and Fallout Remover

Over the last couple of weeks I've used and reviewed a lot of new product from GTechniq. To do the testing and reviews I detailed a half dozen cars including a 1972 Barn Find Boattail Rivera.

Before buffing it out it was incredibly dirty so I took the opportunity of getting it clean to use the new GTechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover & W4 Citrus Foam. Now I already had used these two products on a 2016 Mercedes-Benz loaner car from the local Mercedes-Benz dealership but the pictures were not what I would call spectacular because the car was not that contaminated and white foam against a white car doesn't show up very well. So kind of boring.

Here's the link to that review...

Review: GTechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover & W4 Citrus Foam - Mike Phillips

So here's some pictures that are the exact extreme opposite of the pictures of the white Mercedes-Benz pictures. I let the pictures do most of the talking. No one reads anymore anyways...

First mixing up the Citrus Foam Wash in a foam gun.

This is my favorite way to wash cars. Did you see AJ using a foam gun on the RV on last week's episode of Competition Ready TV?

Back to the story at hand...

This is a Wheel Woolies Foam Gun Stirring Stick, you can get one on Autogeek.com

Ready to go!

Now remember....

This car has been sitting abandoned in a barn for around 25 years. This is the original single stage metallic paint, or at least what's left of it.

Yeah... that looks bad... real bad....

Time to get busy...

Turns white when it dries...

Don't let this freak you out when you use it but it dries like a white goo. When you wash the car it liquefies and washes off... no worries. No staining or anything. I also used this stuff on a brand spanking new Mercedes-Benz C550 and even after it dried on the really expensive car no issues. So don't freak out.

Now to wash the mess off using my handy-dandy foam gun!

Yeah... no pictures of me moving a wash mitt over the car as no one was around to take pictures but for the record I did in fact wash the car and even cleaned the wheels and tires.

On Autogeek.com

GTechniq W4 Citrus Foam
    GTechniq W4 Citrus Foam

GTechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover 250 ml
    GTechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover

GTechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover 500 ml
    GTechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover 500 ml.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Decontaminating and Foam Gun Washing a Barn Find by Mike Phillips - GTechniq Citrus Foam and Iron and Fallout Remover

Woooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww that looks like it belongs in a horror movie with all the bleeding Mike. That's just insane.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Mike Phillips

Re: Decontaminating and Foam Gun Washing a Barn Find by Mike Phillips - GTechniq Citrus Foam and Iron and Fallout Remover

And....

How did the car turn out? Great question! Here's some before and after pictures as I tested out the new Lake Country Force Hybrid Foam Pads on this old Buick!

Detailing a beater! - 1972 Buick Riviera Boattail - Review: Lake Country Force Hybrid Foam Pads

Before

After

See all the before and after pictures here,

Detailing a beater! - 1972 Buick Riviera Boattail - Review: Lake Country Force Hybrid Foam Pads

Feel free to make comments in this thread or the above thread...

Also, to buff out the old Riveria I used a simple one-step cleaner/wax.

And the one-step cleaner/wax I used was

3D HD Speed - 32 ounce

Post Thanks / Like

That's a damn good turn around... and that "bleeding" was INSANE!!!!!! Just shows what these products really do
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!! Great job Mike

Your really active on the forum today...lots of new threads
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

Another great thread Mike. I consider myself a lurker here for a few reasons. I like to read and learn about things. I usually will post If I can help someone with a problem or have a question myself. with all my reading on chemical contamination I have yet to find a solution to my question on my own.

I know there are many chemical decontamination products and most say they use them on white or lighter cars because they are easier to see the results. Well I have a Black car and have used iron x and mckees37 and can't see the results. I know they work but how can I tell?

My real question is could any one of the manufacturers of these products introduce some kind of alternative "dye" or whatever they use for the color changing effect to make it easier for the black or darker car owners to visually see? maybe I overlooked this in my searches but I have never found an answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn that was contaminated!!! Nice work Mike!

Please continue to put together your articles. I know how much time it takes to do them. I thoroughly enjoy reading them.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Gross!!!

No doubts the GTechniq Iron & Fallout Remover is hard at work there huh. Mike, this Buick being a special case scenario - how much did this process help in terms of how the paint felt, how much of the iron on the surface was removed? A great post Mike, a fantastic car to have as a bit of a guinea pig/learning tool for the forum members too. Impressed on how well it came out . . . preservation.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

Woooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww that looks like it belongs in a horror movie with all the bleeding Mike. That's just insane.
    Nick Rutter and Joe Metlow were driving by on their way to lunch while I was spraying the car down and they were shocked to see how much bleeding was coming off the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post

That's a damn good turn around... and that "bleeding" was INSANE!!!!!! Just shows what these products really do

I had numerous co-workers come by in the garage while I was hammering on the paint with the FLEX 3401 and they all pretty much laughed said the same thing, that there was no hope for the paint...

This ain't my first rodeo, been here and done this with beaters as much as anyone and probably more than anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Mp0wer View Post

Wow!!! Great job Mike

Your really active on the forum today...lots of new threads
    And prepping for a 3-day class this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 02special View Post

Another great thread Mike.

I consider myself a lurker here for a few reasons. I like to read and learn about things. I usually will post If I can help someone with a problem or have a question myself. with all my reading on chemical contamination I have yet to find a solution to my question on my own.
    Thanks for sharing the above, it's always been the company goal and my goal to make this the best car detailing discussion forum on the Internet. Yeah I know everyone with a phone and a thumb is going to Facebook but you simply cannot share quality information that actually can help people to "learn" using tiny messages boxes.

I know there are many chemical decontamination products and most say they use them on white or lighter cars because they are easier to see the results.

Well I have a Black car and have used iron x and mckees37 and can't see the results. I know they work but how can I tell?
    You simply must look closely. I've chemically decontaminated black and dark colored cars, and even in my classes and I focus the students eyes onto the paint and tell them to LOOK plus you can see the red color dripping onto the ground.

My real question is could any one of the manufacturers of these products introduce some kind of alternative "dye" or whatever they use for the color changing effect to make it easier for the black or darker car owners to visually see? maybe I overlooked this in my searches but I have never found an answer.
    That's a great idea and also a great question for a chemist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Damn that was contaminated!!! Nice work Mike!

Please continue to put together your articles. I know how much time it takes to do them. I thoroughly enjoy reading them.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Mike, always appreciate it when you chime in...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Wow! Gross!!!
    Yeah, I know...

No doubts the GTechniq Iron & Fallout Remover is hard at work there huh. Mike, this Buick being a special case scenario - how much did this process help in terms of how the paint felt, how much of the iron on the surface was removed?
    I believe it helped a lot. The paint on this car was in horrible condition. Absolutely horrible. After decontaminating the paint I washed the hell out of it and that along started it towards the end results. Hammering on it HARD with the FLEX 3401 took the results over the top all things considered. A free spinning orbital polisher, any brand, would not have made dent in paint.

A great post Mike, a fantastic car to have as a bit of a guinea pig/learning tool for the forum members too. Impressed on how well it came out . . . preservation.

Aaryn NZ.
    Thanks Aaryn,

The good news is this car has now moved onto the Grasso Garage where there doing a safety check and updating all the mechanicals. Their body man is also pulling the dent out of the nose of the hood and then I think they're going to upgrade the interior. When they're done I'll post an update.