autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

High speed machine waxing - Kissing the Finish Technique by Mike Phillips

High speed machine waxing - Kissing the Finish Technique by Mike Phillips

I shared this technique years ago but thought I'd share a fresh version since I was already doing the work and using the technique.

The technique is called,

Kissing the finish

And it's real simple, when using a finishing wax or non-cleaning wax, (the opposite of a AIO or cleaner/wax), because all you need to do is simply apply a thin layer of wax to all the painted body panels, do this.

Apply some wax to the face of the pad then lightly touch the face of the pad down on a portion of a panel or kiss the finish. This applies a little wax to a larger panel that you're going to come by with your polisher turned on and pick up and spread out.

On a grander scale, repeat this to the entire car. If you need more wax simply apply some more to the face of the pad then continue to work around the car kissing the finish.

The secret is when you're coming up to a dab of wax you kissed onto the paint, tilt the polisher like you see in the pictures below and CAPTURE the wax under your pad. After you move the pad past the dab of wax immediately turn the polisher so the pad is flat again to the paint.

DON'T simply run the edge of the pad into the dab of wax as this can fling and sling the wax everywhere.

Also make sure when tilting the polisher that the trailing edge of the pad remains in contact with the paint. The idea is to only lift a portion of the paint into the air to grab the fresh dab of wax.

Then spread that dab or dollop of wax out real good and move onto the next dab of wax. Continue until you've waxed the entire car.

Let's let the pictures do the talking...

First place some wax on the face of the pad.

Now if you do like a lot of people and simply place the pad against the paint and turn the polisher on you'll waste a lot of product because you'll push the wax inside of the foam.

What I do is hold the pad at an angle when kissing the finish and continually change up the angle at which you touch down the pad/wax onto the paint. This way you accomplish the goal, (spread out dabs of wax), without saturating your wax pad therefor wasting product.

Jay Leno's Garage Hand Wax going down on the old 2-door Chevy...

Have to have a little fun...

This my friends is called,

Kissing the finish

You'll find this technique shared on page 131 of my how-to book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

Speed setting to spread out a show car wax using the Griot's dual action orbital polisher is low, like around the 2 setting. Pad rotation isn't neccassary because I'm not trying to remove defects, (already did that), BUT pad rotation helps the pad to glide over the paint easier.

Mark your backing plate
    Been teaching guys to do this for about 20 years now easy... if you don't know about this little trick then here's what you do. Take a permanent marker and draw a line on the backing plate. This will make it easy for our eyes to see and monitior pad rotation. If you have a dark colored backing plate then use a light colored marker or touch up paint.

How to pick up the splotches of wax after kissing the finish

With the polisher on, lift the leading edge of the pad off the paint but be sure to keep the trailing edge of the pad on the paint. Then run the pad over the splotch of wax and immediately re-adjust how you're holding the polisher to move the pad to the flat-against-the-paint position and then spread that bit of wax out.

That's how you do it!

Looks like the paint has a poka-dots...

Then about as fast as you can slow-walk around the car you can use the above technique to spread out a uniform layer of wax that will dry fast and make wipe-off easy.

Then about as fast as you can slow-walk around the car you can use the above technique to spread out a uniform layer of wax that will dry fast and make wipe-off easy.

Mike Phillips

Re: High speed machine waxing - Kissing the Finish Technique by Mike Phillips

Continued....

Wax on, wax off!

Okay - now that the entire car from top to bottom, side to side and end to end has a layer of wax on it, let me share a few tips for removing a show car wax or finishing wax.

Inspect your wipe-off towels
    First, inspect your microfiber towels by look at them and also feeling them. A lot of the time your hands will detect contaminants lodged in the microfiber nap that your eyes cannot see. If you do not inspect and catch these contaminants you risk instilling scratches back into the paint. So always inspect both visually and tactically. (You should actually inspect all your towels, clearcoat paints scratch easily)

Next - fold the towel 4-ways and then press it down on the paint and twist it in a circle back and forth....

This will create a shiny spot.

This is called,

Breaking the wax open

Then, place the towel back down on the shiny spot and creep out. I don't mean get weird on me... I mean move out from the shiny spot using small, overlapping circular motions to gently and safely remove the layer of wax. Flip your towel to a clean side or re-fold your towel to a clean side and swap out to a fresh, clean, dry INSPECTED towel often to make wiping the wax of effortless.

Almost done....

And BOOM!

You've remove the wax to reveal beautiful shiny paint!

That's what I'm talking about!

On Autogeek.com

Jay Leno’s Garage Hand Wax

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Blue Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Machine Waxing Pad

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 12 Pack

3. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the laugh this morning with the smiley-face, Mike!

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

I like to have fun when I work, makes work less work.

Have to have a little fun...

This my friends is called,

Kissing the finish

You'll find this technique shared on page 131 of my how-to book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

Plus - You couldn't pay to do anything by hand to a car except the #7 Rub Out Technique using old school terry cloth.

In the majority of cases, machine always outperforms humans, just watch the Terminator. But for something, good old fashioned elbow grease is the best way.

7. Likes habs33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Hahaha!!!

That is funny!

Mike Phillips

Bump for Al

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you really spread the wax out like that? Wouldn't it dry out before you get to the other panels?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post

Can you really spread the wax out like that?

Wouldn't it dry out before you get to the other panels?

Nope.

Been doing this since someone at Meguiar's found the Porter Cable Wood Sander could maintain pad rotating with the only pad on the market at that time that fit the Porter Cable.

See this article,

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher

But no, been doing this for a long time, never seen a liquid wax dry before I could get to it with the polisher.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, just ordered the GG6 from AUTOGEEK, plan on getting started (newbie) in spring so I am researching and ordering supplies as I see fit. I have learned a lot from your videos and writings and want to say thank you. One thing I need clarification on if possible. I always see the hood, trunk, etc being worked on but not sure about the polishing technique on 1/4 panels,doors and fenders. On a door for instance, do you separate it into 1/3rds or 1/4ths due to polishing a small 2' by 2' sections. I assume you don't use tape but I guess an overlap of these "sections" will eliminate any visual lines between polishing sections right? This has me confused but if I think it through a typical car will have 20-30 2' by 2' sections...is this right or would you polish the entire fender in one shot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
    Thanks Mike, just ordered the GG6 from AUTOGEEK, plan on getting started (newbie) in spring so I am researching and ordering supplies as I see fit. I have learned a lot from your videos and writings and want to say thank you. One thing I need clarification on if possible. I always see the hood, trunk, etc being worked on but not sure about the polishing technique on 1/4 panels,doors and fenders. On a door for instance, do you separate it into 1/3rds or 1/4ths due to polishing a small 2' by 2' sections. I assume you don't use tape but I guess an overlap of these "sections" will eliminate any visual lines between polishing sections right? This has me confused but if I think it through a typical car will have 20-30 2' by 2' sections...is this right or would you polish the entire fender in one shot?
    You will love your GG6.

As for the polishing, working a 2'x2' section is the preferred method because you are better able to concentrate a good technique of back & forth, up & down, etc.

I have found that trying to do bigger sections leads you to be less focused, and your mind kind of wants to "speed things up" if you know what I mean. (Just my opinion).

As for fenders, there is less area because of the cut out for the wheel well (obviously). So even on my full sized Ram, I will do the front fender in two sections. (Front half, then the back.)

Just follow the 2x2 rule at first on large panels, and common sense for other areas. After you get a few polish sessions under your belt, you'll have your own personal technique down to a science.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

14. Thanks Artdnj thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast