autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mike Phillips

Re: SONAX Fallout Remover - How to chemically decontaminate paint before restoring a show car finish by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    washing after iron x type products is a must? or can I goto clay after? and not washing

Yes.

You need to remove the iron remover and ALL the junk it has loosened and dissolved before rubbing something over the paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SONAX Fallout Remover - How to chemically decontaminate paint before restoring a show car finish by Mike Phillips

Does the panel have to be dry? I recently got a bottle of this and was thinking of giving the car an iron decontamination. There's probably some light dusting on the car's paint at the moment

Wondering if I should hose down the car and while its still damp, spray the fallout cleaner or do I need to dry the whole thing first? Or even better, just spray it as is [car isn't exactly drity dirty, just some spots with dust].

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by frag2 View Post

Does the panel have to be dry?

I recently got a bottle of this and was thinking of giving the car an iron decontamination. There's probably some light dusting on the car's paint at the moment

Wondering if I should hose down the car and while its still damp, spray the fallout cleaner or do I need to dry the whole thing first? Or even better, just spray it as is [car isn't exactly dirty dirty, just some spots with dust].

Great questions.

The normal recommendation for using most iron removers is to

First - Blast any loose dirt off the car.

Second - Spray a panel down, allow the iron remover to work for a few minutes and spray off the residue before it dries. Repeat this process panel by panel to the entire car starting at the top and working our way down.

So if you want to be safe - follow the above routine.

Me?

I spray down a dry dirty car as the film of dirt holds the iron remover onto the paint to enable it to do it's work. Then I wash the car with a foam gun.

Then I rinse off the entire mess and the re-foam the car and then I use a Nanoskin towel or a Nanoskin mitt to mechanically decontaminate the car.

The above is my approach as it serves my purpose.

What's my purpose?

Well most cars I work on are in HORRIBLE CONDTION so I'm going to do an extreme show car makeover. That's my history in the car detailing world. So when I'm washing a car in horrible condition my goal is to get it as clean as possible to prepare it for the machine polishing step.

If the above does NOT describe the kind of cars you work on of the kind of car detailing you do then my approach probably isn't for you.

Please check out these two articles for to very different approaches and pick the one that fits you and your cars best...

How to wash a coated car - The Gentle Approach for Washing a Car by Mike Phillips

The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but why use a Sonax fallout decontaminator or IronX type product when you are going to compound? Doesn't the compound process remove contaminates? If it can remove scratches within the paint why wouldn't the contaminates also be lifted off? I understand using a clay bar before the correction process but not the chemical means. Has anyone tried spraying an IronX product after compounding to see if contaminates are still there? Seems like it may be an extra step that may not be necessary. I just don't get how a compound can remove a microscopic amount of clear coat/paint but not industrial fallout.
    Not not in my experience. Iron particles can be deep inside the paint and they start turning orange if you don't dissolve them chemically. Plus you want your compound working on correction not cleanup.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike!

What are some LSP products that excel in sheeting vs beading? I would rather have the water run off the vehicle instead of bleeding and staying on the paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey16 View Post

Hi Mike!

What are some LSP products that excel in sheeting vs beading?

I would rather have the water run off the vehicle instead of bleeding and staying on the paint.

Off-hand I don't know.

Due to the hype and consumer preference for water beading most wax makers make their products to bead water.

Mike Phillips

Forgot what a cool car this was until I looked up this thread for a new forum member.

Very rare car.

Just one of many that have passed through the garage doors here at Autogeek and used for education, marketing and sales.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how this compares strength wise to other iron decontamination products such as IronX? Any mention as to whether it is safe to use on PPF as well?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mojo122 View Post

Wonder how this compares strength wise to other iron decontamination products such as IronX?
    I'd say very comparable. It remove both iron and other types of industrial fallout pollution. This is why SONAX used the word,

Fallout

In the name of the product instead of the word,

Iron

Quote Originally Posted by mojo122 View Post

Any mention as to whether it is safe to use on PPF as well?

I believe I've used it on PPF without any issues.

If there was an issue, then I would simply machine polish the PPF. Use any fine cut polish with an ESTABLISHED reputation of using GREAT abrasive technology.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345