autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: FLEX 3401 or RUPES? - A question I get asked a lot! -Mike Phillips

I didn't know that this was asked a lot...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX 3401 or RUPES? - A question I get asked a lot! -Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    The Flex is a beast!
    that it is, if there were a hall of fame for polishers it would definitely be in there. btw, i find flex's QC a little better than rupes...

Post Thanks / Like

What about this comparison?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLEX 3401 or RUPES? - A question I get asked a lot! -Mike Phillips-bt-lt-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post

I didn't know that this was asked a lot...

Hi Freddy,

I know you're joking and it is funny but it's also the truth.

Here's a recent screenshot from my FB page...

I could start now and take screenshots of every time this question comes up or a new thread is started asking this question to document it but no one has that kind of time and that's why I started this thread.

Simply put, both tools are great tools but the FLEX 3401 is nothing like ANY free spinning dual action orbital polisher. It's unique.

The RUPES tools are also unique as RUPES started the whole long orbit stroke length revolution in the paint polishing world but their engineers designed a closed system, not a tool. Most people from my observations don't read. They only look at pictures so they don't understand any of what I'm writing. They just look at pictures and then ask questions.

Both brands also have strong and loyal fans, nothing wrong with that as long as everyone is civil about their emotions, passions and excitement for their brand of choice.

Me?

I'm an equal opportunity exploiter. Autogeek sells both brands and as an employee of Autogeek I represent both brands. I also show and teach both brands in all my classes and to this point I have MORE document classes for both RUPES and FLEX than anyone else in this industry including the reps and employees of these companies. It's what I do. I teach and document. Others just teach. Beside knowing how to run a buffer I know how to type and work with pictures in the blogosphere.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Flex 3401 and a 15mm long throw random orbital. I will keep both. I've been polishing a lot more paint over the last couple years and I will always grab the 15mm first, as I feel it's MUCH more comfortable to use and will finish better on some paint systems. I usually can get the cut I need as well. However, there are times when I want to power(as Mike has always said) through a detail with an AIO on harder paint, I will use the 3401.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up both (Flex 3401 and Rupes LHR15 Mk 2) in the last Holiday sales bonanza. If I wanna get it done quick, FLEX. If I wanna enjoy getting it done and take my time, Rupes. If it's needs major correction, FLEX for compounding, then Rupes for refinement. There has not yet been a clear cut winner or favorite. Sometimes (without really thinking about it) I go for a specific machine based on what's in front of me.

There have been a few instances where I wanted something done fast and wanted to use microfiber pad so the Rupes wins that battle. But a gray LC Force Hybrid pad with Megs M101 on the Flex can sure knck down some defects in 4 passes...and still finish out well enough for production work. When I want something to be the absolute best it can be, always finish with the Rupes; using the Rupes white and yellow pads on the Rupes is just so enjoyably smooth...could polish for days with that combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Picked up both (Flex 3401 and Rupes LHR15 Mk 2) in the last Holiday sales bonanza. If I wanna get it done quick, FLEX. If I wanna enjoy getting it done and take my time, Rupes. If it's needs major correction, FLEX for compounding, then Rupes for refinement. There has not yet been a clear cut winner or favorite. Sometimes (without really thinking about it) I go for a specific machine based on what's in front of me.

There have been a few instances where I wanted something done fast and wanted to use microfiber pad so the Rupes wins that battle. But a gray LC Force Hybrid pad with Megs M101 on the Flex can sure knck down some defects in 4 passes...and still finish out well enough for production work. When I want something to be the absolute best it can be, always finish with the Rupes; using the Rupes white and yellow pads on the Rupes is just so enjoyably smooth...could polish for days with that combo.
    Out of curiosity, on a flat surface, do you feel you could get more/faster cut with the grey force pads + 3401 + M101 compared to the Rupes MKII + MF cutting pad + M101?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

People have individual styles and approaches, and sometimes because of that one tool might be more appropriate than another. Unfortunately they can spend a lot of money only to realize they should have gone with something else.

There has been a ton of hype over the long orbit tools, and rightfully so, but that doesn't necessarily disqualify the merits of other polishers, especially the 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Flex,Rupes and GG's are great machines! It comes down to comfort.
    The only thing that sucks is the short power cords!

Post Thanks / Like

I have both
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast