autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Why you want a SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Initial Inspection, Final Inspection and everything in-between!

Why you want a SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Initial Inspection, Final Inspection and everything in-between!

Besides using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light to find swirls, scratches and other defects, there are other areas of your work where this light shines! (no pun intended)

Here are some other VERY IMPORTANT uses for this light that will save you time and give you peace of mind.

What do I mean?

In my Competition Ready Detailing Classes I stress the importance of doing the final inspection to check for wax smears or ceramic coating high spots at the end of the detail job.

You do your final inspection by doing these 4 things,

1: Move the car into a different position in your shop so light falls on it in new ways to help you to see things you may have missed.

2: Move the car outside into sunlight to help you to see things you may have missed.

3: Get a FRESH SET OF EYES to inspect your work. This could be a buddy, an employee or a girlfriend, wife or even boyfriend or husband. Because you've been looking at the car for hours you become snow blind or what I call shine blind. Shine Blind is when you are too tired to accurately see the car and see what you've missed because you've been looking at the same car, (same body panels), --> FOR HOURS. At some point it simply becomes one big pile of shine.

4: Get a kid to inspect your work. Adults are tall and look DOWN on the car. Kids are short and look UP at the car. They can often see things you missed simply due to their elevation.

The SCANGRIP Sunmatch EXCELS at this type of final inspection work and will help to ensure an absolutely perfect finish before your customer sees the final results.

Here's how the SCANGRIP Sunmatch saves you time
    With the Sunmatch swirl finder light you can skip points 1 and 2 above. Because it does such a great job of lighting up a body panel you can easily see if there are any smears, streaks, patches of un-removed wax, high spots of coating not buffed off. You save time because you don't need to move the car around in your shop or move the car outside into bright sunlight.

Here's how the SCANGRIP Sunmatch gives you peace of mind
    With the Sunmatch swirl finder light you wont' miss a thing. You will have the confidence that when your customer gets the car home into their garage under their lights that the finish will be just as clear and beautiful as it was when it was in your shop. You can still have a fresh set of eyes inspect your work, and this is a good idea, just hand them the Sunmatch swirl finder light and tell them to have a critical eye when inspecting.

Here's examples of inspecting for wax smears.

This is a 1948 Jeepster that we wet sanded, cut and buff. Afterwards we applied the SONAX High Speed Wax which is a thick, durable carnauba spray wax. The next day (after doing all the work), I RE-inspected the paint and found patches of wax that had not been removed.

With normal ambient light the results look great!

Now let me light up the same area with the SCANGRIP Sunmatch swirl finder light...

Whoa! What's that? Looks like we missed a patch of wax!

Yep... that's simply a small patch or smear of wax that was not fully removed and the SCANGRIP Sunmatch light revealed it.

Here's an example showing my friend Jeff Bell inspecting for high spots after coating this 1980 Corvette

And then when a high spot is discovered, Jeff gently wipes it away.

The customer will never see the high spots because of the Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light.

Versatile

More than a swirl finder light, a time saver and an final results inspection light that gives you peace of mind that you're delivering exactly what you promised... professional grade work.

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

Mike Phillips

Re: Why you want a SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Initial Inspection, Final Inspection and everything in-between!

The second season of Competition Ready

Doing an Extreme Showcar Makeover to AJ's 1968 Firebird

Coming this spring on Competition Ready TV, you'll see AJ's 1968 Firebird getting a show car makeover LIVE at the California Auto Show!

Here's how the paint looked when her car arrived...

And here's how it looks using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light after my Competition Ready Team performed their magic!

This is the driver's side trunk lid, the same area shown in the before picture...

Here's AJ taking a picture of her reflection in the paint on her incredible 1968 Firebird!

Reflection shots of our booth in the paint...

Remember...

Quality doesn't cost money... it makes money...

On Autogeek.com

SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light

Mike Phillips

Re: Why you want a SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Initial Inspection, Final Inspection and everything in-between!

A few more pics of AJ's car on the set of Competition Ready

This is James running the jib camera to get the beauty shots...

In the background I spy Yancy, Ashley our Producer and Bobby off to the right

This is AJ's car on display in the Autogeek booth on Saturday. We filmed our CR episode on Friday.

AJ and me...

Chip Foose stopped by and there's a cameo of him in this episode...

Note the SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light in my left hand - I don't go anywhere without it...

Post Thanks / Like

I Have the Multi Match on tripod and absolutely love it! I use it on just about every vehicle. Nice and portable for interiors as well! Nice write up Mike!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post

I Have the Multi Match on tripod and absolutely love it! I use it on just about every vehicle.

Nice and portable for interiors as well!
    I have two wet sanding projects coming up including,

1: Orange peel matching - Matching excessive orange peel on a repaint to the factory orange peel

2: Wet sanding a 1967 Camaro muscle car - This is an older repaint that looks good from 10 feet away, we're going to try to get it to look good from 1 foot away.

For both of these I'll be using the Multi Match on a tripod to show how handy this light is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post

Nice write up Mike!

Thanks Jeremy. Some of the AJ and Firebird pictures are from my cell phone, a 6+ so they are not as high as quality as I prefer for articles but like I always say,

Use what you have...

Even have an article on this topic...

Run what you brung - Use what you have -Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the write-up as always Mike! AJ's car looks stunning and perfect. The gloss is out of this world. Great job on the detail.

Your first article made me buy the Scangrip Sunmatch light. I hope this 2nd article doesn't make me buy another one HAHAHAHA! ROFL!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post

Thanks for the write-up as always Mike! AJ's car looks stunning and perfect. The gloss is out of this world. Great job on the detail.
    Thanks Marc, as an alumni Competition Team Member from the Barn Find Porsche episode on Competition Ready you now how much work goes into both the car and shooting the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post

Your first article made me buy the Scangrip Sunmatch light.

I hope this 2nd article doesn't make me buy another one HAHAHAHA! ROFL!
    Good to hear... it's a quality tool that you can be proud to own.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the article! Any thoughts on what are the advantages of scangrip over astro's light?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I have two wet sanding projects coming up including,

1: Orange peel matching - Matching excessive orange peel on a repaint to the factory orange peel...

Good Luck with that!

As an old painter I can say that matching an existing texture has a lot more to do with the paint application than any sanding/polishing steps. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that texture matching has to be done during the paint application.

Lighter paint applications have a tighter center-to-center distance between the peaks and valleys of the orange peel while heavier applications will have a greater distance between those peaks and valleys. If these distances vary from the original existing finish there is no amount of sanding/polishing that will change that thus the texture is never going to match perfectly.

I'm sure you've done enough of these kind of jobs that your, and your customer's, expectations are set accordingly.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by xirurg View Post

Thanks for the article!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by xirurg View Post

Any thoughts on what are the advantages of scangrip over astro's light?
    Yes.

Astro Pneumatic is known in the body shop industry as selling cheap, knock off tools.

Autogeek doesn't sell this light and not only do I prefer to share and discuss the products and tools sold on the Autogeek store as it is the store that supports this forum but it's also my responsibility to the company.

In case you haven't read the forum rules yet, here's the link...

Forum Rules

1. The AutogeekOnline discussion forum is exclusively sponsored by Autogeek.com. Product discussion should be limited to products that are available from Autogeek.com and PBMA's family of websites.

Links, videos or recommendations to competing products and companies that are not available through Autogeek.com will be moved to the Moderators forum and offenders will be warned or simply placed into the SELF-BANNED catogary of member groups on this forum.

Repeated linking and recommendations of products not available through Autogeek.com may result in a permanent ban. Moderators have the right to edit any posts that contain links, recommendations or other information pertaining to competing companies that are not associated with Autogeek.com

Just a heads up...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast