autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The learned skill of turning detailing work down by Mike Phillips

The learned skill of turning detailing work down by Mike Phillips

A few years ago my good friend, pro detailer and like me, one of the few established people that teach real car detailing classes in the world, Renny Doyle, asked me and a few other guys to write a few sections of information for his book,

How to start a home-based Car Detailing Business

I ended up writing two sections,

Page 101 - What I wish I had known before I started my business

Page 124 & 125 - To do it all over again

The section that comes up the most in discussion is the section on To do it all over again, and it's the topic of this article here on the AutogeekOnline.net car detailing discussion forum that you're reading right now.

Here's the section on pages 124 and 125

And here's the key point,

And for Google...

The learned skill of turning down work

One of the biggest mistakes I made when I first started out was not charging enough for my work. I was eager for more customers to the point where I would end up charging less than what I knew I wanted for the job. In hindsight, I should have stated my price for the job and if a potential client balked at the price, I should have graciously told them that if my services were out of the range of their budget, I understood and moved on to my next job. The problem with undercutting yourself is that you are establishing your price range in the market. Once you do that, it's hard to raise your prices. So my advice to anyone starting out in this business is to determine what you're worth, set our prices and stick to them.

If you're just starting a detailing business and then do your research first and then determine what you're going to charge for your services. I'm going to write more on this topic in the near future. Until then, I've already created a very valuable resource to help you when selling yourself and your services to you customer. It's called the VIF and it's available in paper form and now as an App.

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form - Paper version

The form has a section for you to include your packages.

Packages?

Yes packages. You should have more than one package for potential customers because a one-size fits all approach doesn't work for you or your customers. Some people have a daily driver and all they want is to have it washed and waxed. Some people have something they care a little more about and want it to look good as they drive it around. Some people have a "toy", that is it's their idea of the perfect car and they want it to look GREAT!.

So you need a package for everyone. This is called,

Matching your services to your customer

This is something I teach in my car detailing classes along with about a million other things to ensure you'll be successful when you detail cars for money. I also have an article on this topic here,

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business
    Match your services to your customer

If you're reading this and you're going to start a car detailing business or if you're reading this and you already have a car detailing business, it's important to price your services fairly so that your customer gets great value for their dollar and you are rewarded fairly for your hard work, time and resources.

Stay tuned for the follow-up to this article...

2. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The learned skill of turning detailing work down by Mike Phillips

The first half of this I wish I knew years and years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time and effort, but like you mike I was eager for more clients. Can't wait for the follow up

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice write-up Mike.

Looking forward to the next article.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post

The first half of this I wish I knew years and years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time and effort, but like you mike I was eager for more clients.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post

Nice write-up Mike.

Thanks Freddy and Frank...

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post

Can't wait for the follow up

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post

Looking forward to the next article.

The next article is an ongoing series of articles, a new project I'm working on.

Stay tuned...

Post Thanks / Like

Renny's book is an excellent read and worth it's weight in gold for anybody who wants to charge money to detail someone else's car.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

8. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great book and great advice from Renny and the many that wrote a few sections.

I certainly wish I could go back and change a few things I did in the beginning 30 years ago

Selected member of Air Force One detailing team 2007, 2008, 2011 & 2017 IDA CD/SV Founders Club
    www.jimsauto.net Ipswich Ma 978 356 7372

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Thanks Freddy and Frank...

The next article is an ongoing series of articles, a new project I'm working on.

Stay tuned...

mike, do you ever sleep?

man I thought I had crazy days with emails and meetings and everything else but you never seem to stop

Post Thanks / Like

I remember that section of the book. Because of it, I've turned down numerous jobs (and one of my co-workers still asks me almost weekly).

Mike, did you have an article on "knowing your customer" or something to that effect? That's something else that has helped me in the last two years.

Thanks for putting out great content. Looking forward to your next work (crossing my fingers for a "history of.." as well).

- Jesus

Post Thanks / Like

Some other great advice I got from a veteran detailer when I got into this like this was "if a customer wants to haggle/negotiate price, just turn and walk away". I didn't heed that advice once and negotiated the price and that turned out to be the most annoying customer I've ever had. Set your price and stick to it. If someone wants a cheaper price send them down the road to the detailer that does a cheaper job.

Post Thanks / Like

This is basically the same as my freelance work as a graphic artist. I learned the hard way that the worst customers are always the ones that get things cheap. They make constant changes and expect it done right away. That's because they don't see the real value of your time and work. And if you haggle, the client thinks you don't value it yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast