autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

I've made a lot of videos in my life. Last summer Yancy and I made a brand new video series for our ROKU channel. After they were edited and placed on our ROKU channel I never got around to actually watching them. Last week I watched this video on exterior car detailing for the first time. In my my opinion, it's our best video ever on the topic of machine polishing and EVERYTHING related to machine polishing is included in the video.

Do me a favor please

Grab your favorite beverage, hot coffee, cold soda and expand the video to fill the entire screen and give it a watch and the if you would be so kind, reply to this thread with what you think about the content and presentation of the subject matter.

I also think this demonstrates Yancy's incredible skill as our "Creative Director". Nice work Yancy.

Thank you and enjoy.

2. Thanks keegancarcare thanked for this post
    Likes keegancarcare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

At work can't watch the whole thing now Mike but can't wait to see it when I get home.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

I know how i'm spending my lunch hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I think it's an excellent video. It shows anyone the exact process/steps to achieve results on their own vehicle(s). It also shows that the PC is a perfectly capable machine!

Thanks for posting...I will be sharing this with some friends as well as some customers to show what goes into a 'detail'.

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Watched it yesterday, thought it was pretty cool. Liked "...the initial test spot not good enough, lets do another" concept illustrated. Looked wonderful cast to a 60" flat screen. At first I thought 'What they gonna polish and that perfectly shiny Chevelle?" but the closeups with the light really showed the defects.

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched this video and I always learn something new from Mike to continue to hone my skills, Mike and Yancy and its forum members help this small tight knit community learn from each other, Thank you Mike and Yancy for putting out a QUALITY product

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome video Mike! Love how you use the 16x16 towel as a reference for your "working area", hadn't thought about doing that and that's a great trick to make sure you're not working too big of an area. Especially on a big hood like that one where you can just try to start stretching your work area because your mind tells you you'll get done quicker, when that's not the case. Keep the videos coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the video a couple of times.

Content:
    I appreciate you starting with the order of operation and not leaving out the significant step of clay prior to correcting. Your coverage of test spotting with less aggressive compounds/pads will help save lots of clear coat from unnecessarily being removed from cars around the world. Probably most impressive is your use of a tool that is affordable and useable by the masses and demonstrate how to use it effectively. I feel that a beginner could view this video, make a few purchases and effectively produce great results with very very minimal risk of causing undue damage.

Presentation:
    You're ability to cover what many spend years learning in a 50 minute video is to be respected. The angles and close ups clearly demonstrate the process and practice you are showing. A careful viewer can even pick up on your subtle release of pressure as you transition on/off the curved portions to maintain consistent pad rotation.

I would love to show this video to a complete beginner and see how they did with no further instruction.

I am far from a great/qualified critic. But great job. Wish I had this video when I started.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

This video is excellent! I feel that if someone is completely new to detailing (surface preparation) and watched this video, within no time they could perform all the steps, which have been laid out in a systematic approach to create a "work-flow".

I've always said, most difficult projects broken down into a systematic series of steps, then formulated and documented into a tried and true work-flow will yield results. This is such an example, but it's been done by the best in the business, Mike Phillips.

There are a lot of great videos on the How-To's section, but this one is by far the most in depth.

Mike, you keep things systematic, simple and create the work-flow! Bravo!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Watched it yesterday, thought it was pretty cool.

Liked
    Thank you and thank you to everyone that "liked" it on our YouTube Channel.

the initial test spot not good enough, lets do another" concept illustrated.
    I've been teaching the practice of doing a Test Spot in the forum world since March of 2004. I wrote about it back in 1993 or 1994 on Usenet Newsgroups in rec.autos.misc and of course I practiced it myself every time I detailed a car. I also implemented it at the very first Detailing 101 Class at Meguiar's in Irvine when I started up their Saturday Detailing 101 classes in July of 2002.

Here's what I know... it's easy to talk about doing a Test Spot. It's also easy to tell people to do a Test Spot.

Explaining it, showing it and at the same time capturing it in a way that the average person can see and understand the concept and practice is a completely different thing. Outside of some other older videos we've put out I've never seen anyone else explain and demonstrate how to do a Test Spot. This is just one of the reasons I like this video and think it will help anyone new to machine polishing or wondering exactly how and why to do a Test Spot.

Looked wonderful cast to a 60" flat screen. At first I thought 'What they gonna polish and that perfectly shiny Chevelle?" but the closeups with the light really showed the defects.
    The condition of the paint shown in the video was the true condition. So was the gunk that came off onto the clay.

For what it's worth... I make it a practice to always get great pictures of the condition of the car when it arrives to Autogeek. I know it can look like a car is in great condition without proper lighting and too many people are so cynical now days that it's just a good practice to document everything.

Thank you for your feedback.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast