autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

Great video Mike and Yancy!!!

Very thorough and I like the recap at the end.

I also like that it was done with less expensive tool and pads.

I think it would have been an added bonus to show the stack of pads you went through to give newer people an idea of how many pads are needed to properly do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Did you know?

Did you know there are actually written tests for all the videos in this new series?

Honor System

Would anyone here like to challenge themselves and take the test? The thing is you can't go back and watch the video to get the right answer and for this we would rely on the honor system for integrity and honestly.

There are 21 questions for this video.

I wonder if there is some kind of online test taking software we could use that's not cost prohibitive?

Set up a "survey" in google docs. There's gotta be some way. I'd love to take it!

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to take the test, Mike.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I think it would have been an added bonus to show the stack of pads you went through to give newer people an idea of how many pads are needed to properly do the job.
    Great thought. That caught me by surprise when I was first starting. Ruined an orange cutting pad not knowing any better.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree about the number of pads comments. I also agree that it's nice to see you using the PC and basic flat pads (which is what I use). I know a lot of people complain that the PC doesn't have enough power, but recently I've done a 1999 Chevy truck and a 2011 BMW (both with notoriously hard paint) using a PC. While it may take a bit longer, it feels safer to have a bit more working time than to try to save a few minutes by powering through with one of the higher-end units. I guess if I was doing this for a living, I might want to move up to something that I could work quicker with. But for just doing my own cars once a year, the PC is plenty.

Mike Phillips

How many pads - a great question and popular topic....

Just to note... we shot these 9 videos back in August I think? Any pads used on that car have been washed and reused since then probably multiple times.

But I hear you... I realize that most people don't understand how many pads it takes to do the job right. For this reason I wrote an article about this topic here,

How many pads do I need to buff out my car?

And in most of my personal car detailing work I now make it a practice to take a picture of all the pads used for the project. Here's one example...

How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

Towels used and even products...

The year RUPES introduced the new Mark II series polishers, I was lucky enough to be one of the first guys to use them thanks to Todd and Alberto brining them to Autogeek for me to test out. As a favor to RUPES I brought in a CURVY car to show the improved pad rotation for the new tools.

I also took a picture of all the pads we used to buff out a very swirled out lead sled...

Buffing curved panels with NEW RUPES Mark II BigFoot 21 & 15 Polishers

That was a fun car to buff out...

Still looks great today with the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating we applied...

Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating

Great feedback guys... and in the future I'll make sure to capture pictures of how many pads were used for all of our projects because it's important to relay this information to people new to machine polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great video Mike. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Follow
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Great video, absolutely perfect for beginners. As a novice I picked up several great tips such as only working an area the size of a towel and the importance of things such as cleaning pads on the fly.
    Would have liked to see the differences of one buffer to another but understand that would have turned it into a 2 hour video.

Thanks to Mike and Yancy for putting this together.

Post Thanks / Like

Great video. I watched it twice. The first time concentrating on what was being said. The second time focusing on physical things such as pad rotation, compression, speed, etc. We're so used to "instant results" these days. The video makes it clear just how much time and focus goes into a start to finish job on one vehicle.

When I first contemplated buying a DA, I honestly thought I could probably polish out a car in an hour (I knew absolutely nothing about the process, nor had I thought much about it). And I think that's a common perception. It's awesome for people to see videos like this so they know more about what's involved before jumping in. A lot of the frustration one might encounter when first starting out can be generally avoided with realistic expectations. And this video does a great job showing what is involved.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast