autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

Excellent video Mike and Yancy, from start to finish, complete and thorough all the way, very professional, and the Chevelle, was a beautiful car to demo on.

Post Thanks / Like

This really is a great video. I've polished a few cars, but there are a few tips in here that I'm excited about trying next time around. I do think there is one error in it though. Around the 14:30 mark, you say that clear coat is 2 millimeters (1/1000 meter) thin. I think you meant 2 mils (1/1000 inch).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    You used a 2 step approach with an initial compound followed by a refining polish. After your second test spot (more aggressive compound and pad) the paint looks phenomenal. Some may see those results and figure " hey, that got 'em...why does he need a finish polish? ". Because a compound, while effective at cutting, typically doesn't complete the paint flattening and leaves behind what the final polish cleans up. You didn't really explain that but go onto the finish polish step which is an assumption anyway. Again, Mike, just noticed a question that someone who's never done this may ask.
    I agree.

My big question:
    -Around 43:00 in after you show the "after" what's the deal with the specks on the paint? Is it the paint, lint, or something else? I've considered this to be lint in my cases. It's my biggest pet peeve.

My takeaways:
    -I should probably work a bit smaller space then I do.
    -I need a pad cleaning brush in the worst way.
    -You are a great teacher that is very easy to follow.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As previously mentioned, I don't believe the clear coat is 2 millimeters thick.

Background music loop is slightly distracting but I was listening through headphones.

Great compilation of tips and techniques. Love the pace and flow.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The orange pad rotated MUCH better than the white pad.

Nice video!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdubs View Post
    I agree.

My big question:
    -Around 43:00 in after you show the "after" what's the deal with the specks on the paint? Is it the paint, lint, or something else? I've considered this to be lint in my cases. It's my biggest pet peeve.

Those specs in the paint are most likely what's called "solvent pop". Not much you can do about it.

If you're not cosistentky cleaning your pad on the fly, spent residue will cake up on your pad and you will lose cut as well as haze the paint. It's imperative to work clean.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by kesmit View Post

This really is a great video. I've polished a few cars, but there are a few tips in here that I'm excited about trying next time around. I do think there is one error in it though.

Around the 14:30 mark, you say that clear coat is 2 millimeters (1/1000 meter) thin. I think you meant 2 mils (1/1000 inch).
    Correct. That's called a mistake. No one is perfect.

Bob McKee trained me to watch every guy in the TV world and watch for their mistakes. What I've discovered is everyone makes word mistakes when filming TV. Everyone.

For the record, I meant to say mils. I know the measurement is mils in fact I included this tidbit of information in my first how to book with pictures to educate everyone else on how thin paint is so they would understand how important it is to

1. Do a Test Spot.
    2. Use the least aggressive product to get the job done.
    3. Only use quality abrasive technology and poor quality product may remove defects but they leave their own defects and removing these new defects means removing more paint.
    4: If you hire a detailer, make sure they know what they are doing and make sure they are using quality products.

I also cover this in my how to books, the first one published in 2011.

Here's the only article I've ever seen on this topic educating people on the 2 mil aspect of modern clearcoat paint.

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

So yep.... that was a simple word mistake.

My guess is to why this happens is because when you're filming live, without any TelePrompter, your mind is racing ahead AS YOU SPEAK figuring out where you're going next with the conversation. As such, it can be easy to make a simple, single word mistake.

If you watch the video again, there's a point where I'm working on the roof or talking about the roof and refer to it as the hood.

Mike Phillips

I agree.

My big question:
    That's what happens when you LIGHT UP black paint with a very bright swirl finder light and capture it on video. To the human eye that paint looked perfect, just like I stated in the video when I "looked at it" with my human eyes.

What a camera captures is much different and in this case it the paint appeared flared or blow out by the light. It's possible if the camera were further away the real appearance would have been captured.

The tiny particles were probably small particle of lint.

The BIG PICTURE is the paint was as perfect as a normal person would want to create with all thing considered, i.e. I'm not going to wetsand and then cut and buff some other guy's all original, number's matching 453 big block Chevy Chevelle to gain a tiny bit more perfection just to please others that probably don't even own this nice of a car.

This was also done after polishing, not waxing and the effect of applying a wax, a sealant or a paint coating has the effect of creating a more uniform, more perfect appearance.

So good eye... but we need to accept that videography when it comes to close-ups of black paint with bright light shining on it is not always the same thing as what you would see with your own eyes in the real world.

My takeaways:
    -I should probably work a bit smaller space then I do.
    -You are a great teacher that is very easy to follow.

Thank you.... I appreciate all your feedback and observations as if you're thinking the above then others are too and I never mind discussing and trying to answer questions about the work we do here at Autogeek.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 F150 Lux View Post

As previously mentioned, I don't believe the clear coat is 2 millimeters thick.
    Since this is your first post to our forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

And as for the word mistake, see what I wrote above...

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 F150 Lux View Post

Background music loop is slightly distracting but I was listening through headphones.

Great compilation of tips and techniques. Love the pace and flow.

Thanks for the kind words and as for the music, what I've noticed is that no matter what music Yancy uses it's hard to please everyone.

Again, welcome to the AGO forum...

Mike Phillips

Did you know?

Did you know there are actually written tests for all the videos in this new series?

Honor System

Would anyone here like to challenge themselves and take the test? The thing is you can't go back and watch the video to get the right answer and for this we would rely on the honor system for integrity and honestly.

There are 21 questions for this video.

I wonder if there is some kind of online test taking software we could use that's not cost prohibitive?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast