autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remove the glare from where you stare

Nice, respectively though you're a true salesman. A easier way and (doesn't require you spend any more money ) is to use some of your used rinse less wash on a mit and remove grime just like you do on the exterior. And then use use your go to glass cleaner with a dedicated ww, followed by a soft mf to buff. Save your money for a product that you NEED to buy from Auto geek.
    Steve
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, would using something like Ultimate Polish, followed by Invisible Glass work?
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post

Nice, respectively though you're a true salesman.

I love this quote, I share it a lot...

"Nothing happens until someone sells something" - Arthur "Red" Motley

A easier way and (doesn't require you spend any more money ) is to use some of your used rinse less wash on a mit and remove grime just like you do on the exterior. And then use use your go to glass cleaner with a dedicated ww, followed by a soft mf to buff.

Save your money for a product that you NEED to buy from Auto geek.

Steve

And there you go.... when you have difficult to remove substances try Steve's method.

If that doesn't work, then come back to this article because what I wrote is true and accurate.

Specifically, the 4th paragraph down in the first post of this thread and even more specifically the portion I made bold red text. This is something a LIQUID like a glass cleaner or a rinseless wash simply won't do as well as a true polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips}

[SIZE=3
    Sometimes you need a mechanical solution (no pun intended)[/SIZE]
    I've come across difficult inside windows to clean in my lifetime and when I've exhausted normal spray-on glass cleaners I've switched over to polishes with great success. The idea being to use a glass polish to cut through the gunk on the glass and then wipe this residue off.

How it works?

The abrasives in the glass polish plus any chemical cleaners will cut through the film and mix the into the polish itself.

Then you wipe the whole mess off.

Next switch back over to your favorite spray-on glass cleaner to make the final wipes. While it can be awkward rubbing some type of applicator pad over the inside of your car's glass unless you're already a contortionist, with a little effort you can do it.

You can use any brand of dedicated glass polish and even quality paint polishes.

4. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never implied that what you said was neither the truth or accurate. Those of us out on the front lines need to watch our spending. All good advice.
    Steve
    "Boanerges"

Mike Phillips

I never implied that what you said was neither the truth or accurate.

Those of us out on the front lines need to watch our spending. All good advice.

Copy that Steve.

I think where we disagree is that a rinseless wash can do what a mechanical polish can do.

A easier way and (doesn't require you spend any more money ) is to use some of your used rinse less wash on a mit and remove grime just like you do on the exterior.

And I respectfully disagree that substituting a rinseless wash, (a liquid with ZERO abrasive or chemical cleaners), will do the same thing as a dedicated glass polish or paint polish to loosen and remove stubborn films that have built-up on the inside or outside of glass.

Been there done that for decades.

I agree a rinseless wash can and will work for some cleaning duties but what I described in my article was stubborn films.

Common problem
    While writing a recent article about Griot's Fine Glass Polish I noticed the inside of my own glass had a film build-up. Over the years I've seen questions come up on our forum where people are having a difficult time removing really stubborn films and contamination off the INSIDE of their windows. Normally they tell a tale of how they've used every glass cleaner under the sun and every secret glass cleaning technique ever shared over the blogosphere.

Vinyl Fog
    New cars have a lot of plastic and other freshly made man-made components and materials inside of them. These newly manufactured parts will tend to give off a chemical gas called outgassing as a natural process. This can also be accentuated when interiors become hot, for example parking outside in a parking lot in full sun with all the windows rolled up. The inside can become a sort of pressure cooker. The resulting outgassing deposits an oily film on the inside of the car. It's probably everywhere since it's not picky about where it attaches but it's only on the glass that you can see it.

I wrote this article from experience not to try to sell anyone. The article showcases the new Griot's glass polish as one of my jobs here at Autogeek is to write new product reviews and how-to articles. The Griot's Glass Polish is a NEW product. So I'm just doing my job.

The article does show how to think-outside-the-box because some people probably never think about using a mechanical polish on the inside of their car to remove stubborn films on glass. So it's marketing plus REAL how-to information.

One thing I've noticed over the years is people LIKE to find out about new products. Getting some practical hands-on how-to information on how to use them is also something people like.

So like I said Steve, for those that will read this article into the future, go ahead and try your recommendation of using a rinseless wash in place of a mechanical polish and if it doesn't work then a person can always try what I demonstrated with pictures will work in this article.

7. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post

Hey Mike, would using something like Ultimate Polish, followed by Invisible Glass work?

My guess is yes.

The Ultimate Polish is a fine cut paint polish but it should work to break up any stubborn films on the inside glass. Then wipe it all off as best as you can.

Most glass cleaners are about 10% alcohol and the alcohol will help to remove any oily film left over by the polishing oils in the polish.

9. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand your points they're all excellent. I am trying to let ALL the newbies like I was 5 years ago know that they don't have to go out and purchase any extra expensive items to get a certain job done. They most likely have items already in their arsenal, just slow down and put some thought into it.
    Steve
    Steve
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

So I just ordered this along with some of their regular polish for the more stubborn outside. Can the fine polish be used on the inside of the rear window? I'm curious if there would be an issue with the abrasives and the rear defroster grid?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    do you have a problem with rocks being kicked up by those wide tires and hitting the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    My guess is yes.

The Ultimate Polish is a fine cut paint polish but it should work to break up any stubborn films on the inside glass. Then wipe it all off as best as you can.

Most glass cleaners are about 10% alcohol and the alcohol will help to remove any oily film left over by the polishing oils in the polish.

Hey Mike, I tried it using Ult Compound instead of Ult Polish (thinking there would be fewer polishing oils) on a damp (wrung out) MF. The water seemed to do something to the oils, because there were no oily smears when I was done buffing off the Ult Compound residue. I followed this with Stoner's IG and a clean MF. So far (pending the proof of sunlight or other glare-producing light sources) I seemed to have gotten similar results ... which is good because the wife has me on lock down about buying anything new for the cars for the near future (her's needs $1,600 mechanical work, which has to come first )
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast