autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips

The Air Test

In this picture, this RUPES BigFoot 21 is running on the 6.0 speed setting and is vibration free.

I came up with a simple test ANYONE can do to test if a non-RUPES buffing pad is compatable with a RUPES polisher.

The RUPES engineers designed their pads specific to the RUPES tools and backing plates for the intended purpose of reducing and eliminating vibration. This means the size, shape, thickness and weight of the pads are such that when attached to the matching RUPES backing plate and RUPES tool there is zero or very little vibration.

The Air Test

First - Hold a RUPES polisher in the air without a foam buffing pad attached to the backing plate in the [ON] position on speed 6. You will feel the tool vibrating.

Second - Attach the correct size RUPES pad for the backing plate and matching RUPES tool and repeat the above. That is hold the tool in the air in the [ON] position on speed 6. You will feel no vibration and a very smooth operating tool.

Now after doing the above you know what vibration feels like with no pad and what zero vibration feels like with the RUPES engineered pad.

Testing non-RUPES pads for vibration

To test a non-RUPES pad for vibration and compatibility, repeat the test with the pad you're thinking of using and see if there is any vibration.

• If no vibration, your choice, use or don't use the pad.

• If you feel vibration you will know it's the pad, not the tool.

Engineered for no vibration

I've done my research and real world testing and what I've experienced is that what RUPES states is true and that is they engineered their pads, backing plates and tools to work together to eliminate vibration.

It doesn't matter to me what pad anyone uses on any tool I just wanted to point out that when RUPES states their pads, backing plates and tools are engineered to work together to eliminate vibration they mean it.

I've always been what I call a systems guy that is given the choice I prefer to use a system approach versus mixing and matching products, pads and tools from multiple brands.

I'm not saying mixing and matching doesn't work but I think you hedge your bet when you stay inside a system designed by the same company. I also know it's the nature of the beast for people to want to experiement and use pads other non-RUPES pads or pads they already own on their RUPES polishers. The Air Test will tell you real fast if a pad is compatible.

On Autogeek.com

RUPES Color Matched 7" Foam Buffing Pads

RUPES Color Matched 6" Foam Buffing Pads

RUPES Color Matched 4" Foam Buffing Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers

Great info! Thanks Mike!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Mike-
    Can you give us some examples of pads you have found to not be compatible with the Rupes machines?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

I've done my research and real world testing and what I've experienced is that what RUPES states is true and that is they engineered their pads, backing plates and tools to work together to eliminate vibration.

I've always been what I call a systems guy that is given the choice I prefer to use a system approach versus mixing and matching products, pads and tools from multiple brands.
    The man speaks the truth and that's a fact. I remember the day I had the pleasure of being part of the Detailing Roadshow out here in California.. Your style is textbook precision, almost like a surgeon of auto detailing.

I remember you specifically saying the exact words you're saying in this post in regards to sticking to the manufacturers recommended system in order to achieve the results you expect when purchasing a quality product or tool.

And as far as the air test..

I can personally attest that it's 100% true

Rupes builds precision machines, no doubt.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips-imageuploadedbyagonline1468382482-376581-jpg   The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips-imageuploadedbyagonline1468382583-217093-jpg   The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips-imageuploadedbyagonline1468382644-641306-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

The man speaks the truth and that's a fact.

Thanks for chiming in and adding those pictures from the CR Roadshow class we held at Mel Craig's shop back in November.

I took the liberty of downloading your attached pictures and then uploading them to the gallery so they could be inserted for full viewing pleasure.

Post Thanks / Like

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers

This is good to know! Just used B&S MF pads and had some vibration. Guess this is the Cause!
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

With the Rupes pads with the Rupes polisher being the best combination in terms of balance and vibration, how about compounds and polishes? I have the Rupes compound/polishes but would using other brands be a bad combination? How about if I want to use my Menzerna stuff with a Rupes polisher?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by zero4 View Post

With the Rupes pads with the Rupes polisher being the best combination in terms of balance and vibration, how about compounds and polishes?

I have the Rupes compound/polishes but would using other brands be a bad combination?

How about if I want to use my Menzerna stuff with a Rupes polisher?

Great question and I'd like to chime in with my 2 cents...

The RUPES system works. Period. I document this in my RUPES how-to book and from every car I buffed out using the RUPES system as designed as intended to be used. I have also documented this with all the RUPES classes I've taught where many of the students have never used a single item from the RUPES brand until taking the class.

After establishing the above, while I do tend to use the RUPES system as a system I have used other brands for compounds, polishes and waxes and what I've found is that as long as the brand uses GREAT abrasive technology in the first place then the products have always worked very well with the RUPES pads and tools.

As professional courtesy to RUPES and as a best practice whenever someone asks me about purchasing a RUPES tool I strongly recommend also starting with the RUPES pads and product. Become an expert first with the RUPES paint polishing system and then if you so desire - experiment with other products and pads.

By starting out with the RUPES system and becoming both familiar and successful with it, then based upon your own real-world experience when you do go outside the system two things,

1: If the non-RUPES products are not performing you'll know it's the non-RUPES products and not RUPES fault.

2: You'll know how to recover from the undesirable results.

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike!👍🏽

Mike Phillips

Just to note...

I show the Air Test in all my classes, it usually blows everyone away to feel the difference in vibration with and without a pad.

I always tell people, if you're going to get into RUPES polishers then start with the entire RUPES system. This means get the matching pads and products for the RUPES tool you choose.

Many guys want to buy the tool but then use pads and product they already own. While this MAY work, it may not work and over the last few years I see people blame the tool when they're not getting great results when it's the pads and/or products they're using.

So when you make the decision to go RUPES go all in or don't go at all...

AFTER you become an expert with their system, THEN start experimenting with different pads and products because then if something goes wrong you have their system, (pads and products) to fall back on to save the day.

Also, get my book, it will completely flatten out the learning curve to using the RUPES paint polishing system.

I also show the Air Test on page 7 of the book.

How to use the RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System
    for Production Detailing and Show Car Detailing

On Autogeek.com

How to use the RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System
    for Production Detailing and Show Car Detailing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast