autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers

Great job on the book Mike. I received mine the other day and have read an been studying it before I decide on rupes or flex. Leaning towards the rupes and it's system.

Post Thanks / Like

ha ha....I JUST got my Rupes 15 Mark II from a fellow member that sold it to me. I have a 2002 Camry that I painted a few years ago, and needless to say, it's in dire need of another paint job. The paint was faded and I basically don't care what the paint looks like, as it'll be weathered again an a month or so. I'm not a painter by any means, and I only paid $120 to do it myself....and it shows.

Anyway, not wanting to ruin my pads that came with the polisher, I used some cheap a$$ harbor freight pads because they are basically trash anyway. When i started polishing, i felt a lot of vibration. I was like....holy crap, this polisher sucks. No wonder why he sold it. I went to my Flex 3401 and it was like night and day...way smoother. Ok...something is wrong here. I went back to the Rupes, and again...a lot of vibration. So, i decided to sacrifice the worst pad that I had gotten in the package deal. I picked a yellow pad, sprayed some pad conditioner on it, slapped some HD SPEED on the pad, and went to town.

HOLY MOLY !!! Smooth action. No vibration. Like butter on a hot roll. Like when a sniper hits his target, sees the "Pink Mist", and pulls back the bolt to load another bullet. The smoothness of the action, the shell being ejected, the firing pin being reset, the next bullet being loaded into the firing chamber....the sensation of becoming ONE with his tool.

That was my experience with my Rupes in less than 5 minutes.

Now, i need to just get my method down on using this polisher. Using my method that i learned on my Flex is not going to work. They are completely different machines.

The Flex 3401= Rambo with an M-60. When you see him, you know he's gonna f**k s**t up !!

Rupes= James Bond. Classy, dignified, a real ladies man. Cool under pressure, but when he kills, he does it in a 3 piece Tux, and never breaks a sweat.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes yellow pad is always such a joy to use...so smooth and effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Levithan9 View Post
    ha ha....I JUST got my Rupes 15 Mark II from a fellow member that sold it to me. I have a 2002 Camry that I painted a few years ago, and needless to say, it's in dire need of another paint job. The paint was faded and I basically don't care what the paint looks like, as it'll be weathered again an a month or so. I'm not a painter by any means, and I only paid $120 to do it myself....and it shows.

Anyway, not wanting to ruin my pads that came with the polisher, I used some cheap a$$ harbor freight pads because they are basically trash anyway. When i started polishing, i felt a lot of vibration. I was like....holy crap, this polisher sucks. No wonder why he sold it. I went to my Flex 3401 and it was like night and day...way smoother. Ok...something is wrong here. I went back to the Rupes, and again...a lot of vibration. So, i decided to sacrifice the worst pad that I had gotten in the package deal. I picked a yellow pad, sprayed some pad conditioner on it, slapped some HD SPEED on the pad, and went to town.

HOLY MOLY !!! Smooth action. No vibration. Like butter on a hot roll. Like when a sniper hits his target, sees the "Pink Mist", and pulls back the bolt to load another bullet. The smoothness of the action, the shell being ejected, the firing pin being reset, the next bullet being loaded into the firing chamber....the sensation of becoming ONE with his tool.

That was my experience with my Rupes in less than 5 minutes.

Now, i need to just get my method down on using this polisher. Using my method that i learned on my Flex is not going to work. They are completely different machines.

The Flex 3401= Rambo with an M-60. When you see him, you know he's gonna f**k s**t up !!

Rupes= James Bond. Classy, dignified, a real ladies man. Cool under pressure, but when he kills, he does it in a 3 piece Tux, and never breaks a sweat.
    Love the analogies!

Mike Phillips

ha ha....I JUST got my Rupes 15 Mark II from a fellow member that sold it to me.

Anyway, not wanting to ruin my pads that came with the polisher, I used some cheap a$$ harbor freight pads because they are basically trash anyway.

When i started polishing, i felt a lot of vibration. I was like....holy crap, this polisher sucks. No wonder why he sold it.

I went to my Flex 3401 and it was like night and day...way smoother.

Ok...something is wrong here. I went back to the Rupes, and again...a lot of vibration.

So, i decided to sacrifice the worst pad that I had gotten in the package deal. I picked a yellow pad,

sprayed some pad conditioner on it, slapped some HD SPEED on the pad, and went to town.

HOLY MOLY !!! Smooth action. No vibration.

Like butter on a hot roll.

So just to clarify for me and anyone else....

When you used the cheap Harbor Freight foam buffing pads on the RUPES BigFoot 15 Mark II polisher the tool vibrated like crazy.

Then when you used a RUPES YELLOW foam buffing pad on the RUPES BigFoot 15 Mark II polisher it was perfectly smooth.

Correct?

Post Thanks / Like

That is correct, Mike.

I'm starting to view the Rupes polisher as a WHOLE system. Kinda like Apple. Got an iPhone? Your gonna use iMessage. Gor a Rupes polisher? Your gonna use Rupes pads.

I see my Flex as an Android based system....i can use anything. It might work, it might not. Rupes has just taken out the guess work on what WILL work.

7. Likes Jeremy5431 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

That is correct, Mike.

I'm starting to view the Rupes polisher as a WHOLE system. Kinda like Apple. Got an iPhone? Your gonna use iMessage. Gor a Rupes polisher? Your gonna use Rupes pads.

I see my Flex as an Android based system....i can use anything. It might work, it might not. Rupes has just taken out the guess work on what WILL work.

Another good analogy.

Mike Phillips

Re: The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips

***update***

This article referenced here,

Rupes LHR15 Mark II, for cutting?

Post Thanks / Like

Force pads work good on the duetto

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips

Initially, I always thought the system approach might be a gimmick to only buy their products. However, I've changed my mind about that with Rupes. The Rupes pads definitely run smoothest on their polishers. It's a TUNED system. I haven't gone as far to only use with Rupes polishes, though. Rupes Polisher, Rupes correct backing plate size, and Rupes pads....yes.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast