autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

5.5" SUPER THIN FOAM PAD OPTIONS for your Dual Action Polisher

5.5" SUPER THIN FOAM PAD OPTIONS for your Dual Action Polisher

Super thin 5.5" foam buffing pads

The primary benefit to super thin foam pads is that free spinning orbital polishers are able to rotate and oscillate these pads better than thick pads.

What does this mean to you?

You can compound and polish paint to perfection faster than ever before when using orbital polishers like the Porter Cable 7424XP or the Griot's Garage 6" DA polisher.

Currently Autogeek carries three brands of super thin foam pads,

From left to right

Lake Country 5.5" ThinPro foam pads

Griot's Garage BOSS 5.5" foam pads

Meguiar's 5.5" foam discs

Lake Country 5.5" ThinPro foam pads

Griot's Garage BOSS 5.5" foam pads

The Griot's BOSS foam pads are unique from the rest in that they have a hole in the center of the pad.

Meguiar's 5.5" foam discs

Thinner, smaller pads rotate and oscillate easier simply because they have less mass. Not only do they rotate better because they have less mass but since there is less mass pad saturation is not as influential of a factor as it is for thick pads on dual action polishers.

On Autogeek.com

It's a good idea to purchase a backing plate from the same company you purchase your pads so that way you know you're the velcro attachment system for the pads and the backing plate will match.

Lake Country

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 5.5 inch

Lake Country 5" Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate

Griot's

5.5 Inch BOSS Pads

6.5 Inch BOSS Pads

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

Meguiar's

Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs

Meguiars Soft Buff DBP5 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate

Need a dual action polisher?

Below are the simple, safe and easy to learn how to use dual action polishers available at Autogeek.com

These tool all offer an 8mm orbit stroke length and work best with the thin pads and matching backing plates shared in this article. These tools all operate the same way just some of them use a longer body style for those that prefer a traditional shaped polisher.

Note: Some polishers are available with a heavy duty 25' electrical cord pre-wired into the tool. These are exclusive to Autogeek and when purchased through Autogeek you get the same factory warranty as the version with the stock electrical cord. The longer cord enables you to safe time because you don't have to mess around with extension cords coming un-plugged. The 25' cords also use the recommended heavy gauge wire to protect the tools electronics. Using an extension cord that uses light gauge wiring can damage your tool and void your warranty. Wiring in your own extended cord will void your warranty.

Porter Cable 7424XP - Standard cord

Porter Cable 7424XP - HD Cord - 25' Heavy Duty Cord already pre-wired

Griot's Garage 6" ROP - Standard cord

Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher - HD Cord - 25' Heavy Duty Cord already pre-wired

Meguiars MT300 Dual Action Polisher

Chemical Guys TORQ 10FX Random Orbital Polisher

Shurhold DA Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5.5" SUPER THIN FOAM PAD OPTIONS for your Dual Action Polisher

I didn't realize the Boss pads could be used with the GG6. I guess I figured they were for the long throw Boss polishers only. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to give them a try.

Mike Phillips

Also just to note...

If you're looking to purchase a new buffing pads for your current orbital polisher

OR
    If you're getting into machine polishing,

Be sure to check out my article on 5" backing plates for dual action polishers. All the backing plates shown in this article are 5" inches in diameter and you'll need to use 5.5" diameter pads with 5" backing plates.

5” Backing Plates Options for Dual Action Polishers

5” Backing Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post

I didn't realize the Boss pads could be used with the GG6. I guess I figured they were for the long throw Boss polishers only.

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to give them a try.

I don't know if Griot's Garage has any type of "official recomendation" for using the BOSS thin foam pads on their GG6 or any other 8mm free spinning orbital polisher I just know they are thin and rotate like a son-of-a-gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I don't know if Griot's Garage has any type of "official recomendation" for using the BOSS thin foam pads on their GG6 or any other 8mm free spinning orbital polisher I just know they are thin and rotate like a son-of-a-gun.

Yeah they are great pads, I started using them on my Duetto and I like them a lot.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

have to make my next purchase for some thin pads thank you mike

Post Thanks / Like

I think the thicker pads, like the Rupes and Uro-Tec work much better on long throw polishers. These super thin pads excel on an 8mm random orbital as Mike states.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I didn't realize the Boss pads could be used with the GG6. I guess I figured they were for the long throw Boss polishers only. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to give them a try.
    jeff brown (of griot's garage) mentioned a while back that they work really well with the GG6...
    i am the jump starter.

8. Thanks jps832 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

also, the buff and shine 5.5" flat pads (built very well too) work great with the GG6 as well...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    also, the buff and shine 5.5" flat pads (built very well too) work great with the GG6 as well...
    Agreed.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Size comparison

Before these thin pads were introduced pretty much all foam pads were thick no matter what the diameter. To give you a point of reference, in the pictures below I have placed each of the three brands of thin foam pads next to three traditional size foam buffing pads.

In this picture on the left are three Lake Country 5.5" ThinPro foam pads and on the right are three traditional foam pads.

In this picture on the left are three Griot's BOSS 5.5" foam pads and on the right are three traditional foam pads.

In this picture on the left are three Meguiar's foam discs and on the right are three traditional foam pads.

Pretty strong visual to show you how thin today's foam pads are for free spinning orbital polishers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast