autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass buffing tools

how do you guys do glass buffing and removing slight scrathes on the glass? what buffer should do the job? can the flex 3401 do it? or it has a diff buffer for the glass

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass buffing tools

Well...the standard method here (I think) is to use a rotary with the CarPro glass pads and CarPro Ceriglass. There are members who have used DA polishers, not sure if that's with the glass pads or regular pads, and gotten good results, so the Flex should be fine too.

"Real" glass polishing is done with machines that feed water through the center of the backing plate to flush and cool the surface, in our world we have to spray a lot of water from a spray bottle--either way it makes a huge mess.

There IS a method using special 3M sanding discs...they have about 4 different grades, that I'd like to try sometime. That would be with a DA and the coarser grades will haze the glass and then you have to refine it back to transparency--pretty scary sounding.

So basically your answer is sure, use your Flex, get the Carpro pads and Ceriglass, use lots of water and make sure the glass (especially windshields since they are laminated) isn't getting too hot.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found it's easier to just have the windshield replaced than deal with the headache of POSSIBLY removing the scratches and dealing with the aftermath mess.

If you're really set on correcting/polishing glass I suggest doing it before you wash the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro Ceriglass + Carpro Payon pads on a GG6 type machine is what I used and got great results. Swanicyouth had a thread on this which I highly recommed for you to find and read.

As for the Flex I guess you'd need to have their 4" BP which would fit the 5" pads, however with the GG6 you can use a 3" pad as well as the 5" providing you have both BPs.

I taped large trash bags on the car,all around the areas I was polishing,so the ceriglass spillage on the paint would be minimized. Then washed the car afterwards as Ceriglass is abrasive and would scratch the paint.