autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Customer wants me to fix his broken window?

Hey Geeks,

So I was contracted to do a job last week, a sticker removal on an advertising van, including cut and polish and interior detail. Near the end of the detail, I wound down the window a touch (I'm sure you all know why), and when I went to wind it back up it wouldn't go past an inch or two from the top.

I promptly called the customer (who was interstate) and asked what the trick was to close the window. He told me there's nothing wrong with the window and there's no trick. I told him what was happening and let him know I would look into what the cause was.

After opening the door card, I found out that the teeth on the drive gear for the electric window had 4 or 5 that were worn down, and no longer catching. I called him back and let him know that that would need to be fixed, and while he sounded upset, that was that.

3 days later (after paying me with a check from his father when he said he'd pay cash) he texted me about how disappointed he was and that it was "disgusting that I would return the car like that" to him. I told him that I'm upset that hes disappointed, but that damage caused by wear and tear on a vehicle isn't my concern and that the damage was not caused as a direct result of my actions, therefore I', not liable. He's pretty mad.

Am I in the right here? As far as I see it, if I took my car to the mechanic and it got a flat, it wouldn't be the mechanics job to buy a new tire.

Thanks in advance,

James
    AutoStyle Mobile Detailing Geelong, VIC, Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/autostylegeelong
    http://www.autostyledetailing.com.au

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like it's not your problem. Nothing that you did during the course of detailing the vehicle would have damaged the window mechanism as you described. This person seems to be trying to scam you.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer wants me to fix his broken window?

Certainly you're in the right. Don't sweat it. This is not uncommon.

Post Thanks / Like

it's not your fault and you're not liable. it was very courteous of you to call him and let him know when it happened. too bad it seems like he doesn't appreciate that or understand it's not your fault.

tough tits for him. he'll have to get over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the part in question was just plain worn out. My spin would be like an old battery going dead after x amount of years.
    Paying for something worn out isn't your responsibility.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your fault or not it's still your reputation
    It's easy for someone to just get on line and write up a a bad report on you and then you need to protect you name from there
    I would check to see how much the repair was and if possible to pay for it, or at the minimum offer to pay half

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't let it get to you,easier said then done,there is always gonna be someone out there looking to get over on you. Judging by your reactions you seem like a stand up guy who clearly takes pride in his craft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Perkins View Post
    Your fault or not it's still your reputation
    It's easy for someone to just get on line and write up a a bad report on you and then you need to protect you name from there
    I would check to see how much the repair was and if possible to pay for it, or at the minimum offer to pay half
    If the detailer displayed gross negligence and pushed down on the open window while it was cracked to clean the edge of the glass (which inturn caused one tooth to break) then maybe, but to see that the whole mechanism was worn out and multiple teeth were in various states of disrepair, there is no reason he should have to be responsible.

But this is the reason why a detailer should not open a window to clean the edge. Its not because they are being lazy, its because the good detailer knows that a customer may pull this kind of stunt. Having worked in an independent repair shop, unless opening the window was critical for the repair, we had a policy of not opening a customers window for this very reason.

Next time, to protect yourself, have a form that you and the customer use upon vehicle arrival. Have it state that you are not responsible for the vehicle's mechanicals while in your possession. Also inspect the vehicle when it arrives and have the customer actuate the windows to ensure that they all indeed work. If they refuse to do so, you refuse to roll them down for complete cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Not your fault move on.

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't have broken his window.

Just kidding, but keep in mind, now he can easily go online and write a bad review which you don't want. What is the cost of the gear? Is it something you could change easily? If it is something that is low cost, just take care of it. It turns a situation that can only be bad into a potentially positive one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast