autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do with waste water?

So things are coming along at our fixed location and I have a question. In the garage, there is a metal grate that runs across the garage by the doors that goes to a pit that is probably 30-40 gallons. The pit is self contained and doesn't drain to anywhere.

My question is, when that water goes into the pit, what is the next step for it? I've heard that waste water can be dumped down the storm sewer? What is everyone else doing with your waste water? Also, I heard an oil water separator would be an option.

I know this will vary by location but any advice is great!

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do with waste water?

Bump!

Post Thanks / Like

Your local EPA/Water Management agencies would be the ideal places
    to source the most accurate, up-to-date information you are seeking.

Also:
    There are usually "EPA-approved" tanker-trucks, of varying sizes,
    that will pick-up non-potable liquids, effluents, etc...
    You can ask the above agencies for referrals.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Check with your local authorities. Water that is allowed to drain into the public systems usually have to go through an oil interceptor first. Once the oil is separated, the remaining components in the water degrade into nontoxic substances within a day or two.

The oil that's collected by the interceptor is picked up by a waste company and disposed of properly. Since your pit does not have an interceptor, a waste disposal company is going to have to empty your tank. Get an interceptor and use the pit to hold what it collects. Check with your authorities and see if you can release the water that goes through the interceptor into the public sewer. It will take a long time to fill you pit with 30 gallons of hazardous oil, on the other hand it will take 10 minutes to fill that tank with waste water when washing a car.

Either way the waste desposal company will usually charge you by the gallon, so it's better to give them only hazardous oil waste and not a bunch of carwash water.

Derrick
    Last edited by Derrick; 03-31-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    We intensify every color of the spectrum.
    "If it doesn't shine, we didn't do it!"

Post Thanks / Like

Something doesn't sound right. As Derrick noted, no one sets up a drain pit for only 30 gallons. Either that is an oil drain tank, or more likely it is the oil separator for a floor drain that is either clogged or decommisioned.

Just to correct your earlier statement, you can't run wash water into the storm sewer, only the sanitary sewer (there is a difference).

Post Thanks / Like

As stated above check with local authorities. In the mean time if you are concerned about oil you can throw one of these in your sump and you should be ok.

Oilzorb Bilge Mini Boom
    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|309314|311479&id=133137

What did the previous tenant do?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys! I meant to say sanitary sewer in my first post, not storm sewer. With that said, can this waste water be pumped out and dumped down the sanitary sewer?

Basically the pit that is in there used to run to the storm sewer, we believe, but with the EPA regulations it was blocked off so now it is more of a hole in the floor that doesn't drain anywhere now, it will all just sit in the pit until it is emptied.

We just acquired the building but it was an auto/mechanic shop prior and is zoned for auto detailing so I'm pretty sure that the use of the pit prior to now is not what it will be for now. I guess when I say pit I mean floor drain. Sorry if it doesn't make too much sense with my description.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what you have posted, it sounds like the previous occupant (auto mechanic) opted for the cheapest solution for eliminating any water runoff from the shop to the county storm/sewer lines. It seems that this pit is now just a catch basin for water when cleaning the shop floor. More than likely they had it pumped out at the same time their service came to collect waste oil.

That being said, if you are not going to be using the shop for any mechanical work and will not be discharging any 'hazardous' liquids from your property I really see no reason why you could not reconnect to the county line. In fact, they can connect to the county line to the pit that is already there at which time that pit becomes a catch basin to prevent anything hazardous from getting to the county line.

If that is beyond the scope of what you want to do you can always just pick up a sump pump with a float switch that will automatically pump out the pit into a 55gal drum above ground.

Someone at your county office should be able to help you with your options.