autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Year 2 in Detailing - How to Make Money Detailing - B & B Detailing - Nashville TN

Hey guys - wanted to help out all those that want to start their own detailing company.

First off - It is NOT easy starting from scratch!

I started B & B Detailing in Middle Tn with absolutely now money! Just the vacuum I had, Makita, a few products, and KNOWLEDGE.

Second - QUALITY is number 1! Keep the customer happy by producing great quality and word of mouth alone will propel your company exponentially!

Third - Scrap all ideas of "advertising". Other than our website, advertising is null and void. Refer to step 2 and you will be just fine

Fourth - Charge accordingly to your ability. In the beginning of B & B, we charged very little to what our ability was. While I was assuming 125 bucks was amazing for what we did, come to find out - we actually spent 5 + hours on our details than most in our area! 5 + more hours with 2 or more guys! That showed us that we were on top of all other companies in Middle Tn when it came to quality! CHARGE WHAT YOU ARE WORTH!

Fifth - The Customer is ALWAYS right SOMETIMES - While this statement contradicts itself , it is very true. We always provide the customer with what he or she wants, but many times the customer is unaware of what is possible and/or within a detailers limits to fix. Also, sometimes a customer will notice an imperfection only when his/her detailer points it out. With that said - you are opening up your client's eyes to that of a detailer, which means they may see things that they have never seen before.... which could very well be a blessing or a curse. Either way, protect yourself with before and after pics.

Im sure I could write a kids book on this stuff, but am gonna leave it at this for now to get AGIANS opinions - hope this helps, or if you have different experiences, please ad on to this thread. Thanx guys and gals,

Anthony
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my first year now and have already learned what is working and what isn't with each detail.

Sent from my DROID3 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Year 2 in Detailing - How to Make Money Detailing - B & B Detailing - Nashville TN

Quote Originally Posted by dwlinc23 View Post
    In my first year now and have already learned what is working and what isn't with each detail.

Sent from my DROID3 using AG Online
    You just doing Autos? BIG difference from Clears to Gelcoats to Fiberglass, To Aircraft/Bus paint, to aluminum polishing - etc! In year one, you learned all this? That's SUPER impressive!
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Year 2 in Detailing - How to Make Money Detailing - B & B Detailing - Nashville TN

Maybe that didn't sound right, I meant I'm in my first year of detailing, and with each client, I'm learning what works and what doesn't. Just trying to find ways to do it better and quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info Anthony. Thanks!

My business has not been going as I hoped. I haven't been getting any calls or anything. Just have to wait it out some.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty interesting the first time you have a very successful Pro Detailer share an afternoon with you. Allowing you to see what really goes on behind the scenes from day to day. Here on the discussion forums you learn a lot about what products to use, what tools are the best and the latest and greatest coatings etc. A lot of the necessary techniques, chemicals and applications can't be spoken of in one thread.

As you enter into the world of the pro detailer, there is often times not near enough time for taking photos and some of the effective techniques or chemicals used by the pros could cause serious damage if carried out by a new enthusiast detailer so they are just not posted on these forums, they can be more of a liability than a helpful tip.

If you can get into a real niche market of doing high end detailing, essentially eliminating a lot of the competition in your area then you can dictate your own pricing and justify it with the results that you provide. That's tough to do unless you have a lot of people who really understand what you do during a multiple step detail.

I think high end auto detailing is one of the most misunderstood professions out there and that is the cause of the importance that your clientele understand not only what steps must be taken to create the drastic turnaround that we do, but they must also understand and be willing to not undo the beauty we just created. It takes a lot of time and effort to bring into a client's mind with sufficient force, the care needed to keep their fresh paint correction in tip top shape. "We the Detailers" are responsible to educate them on how to do this and more so, "We" should be responsible for knowing if the customer is willing to change their washing habits BEFORE we perform the work. If we don't, and we do a multiple step paint correction, and the customer runs it through the automatic car wash with dirty brushes and destroys the finish they payed big money for, "we the detailers" get the bad word of mouth for it. They'll say to people something like this, "He does nice work but...It didn't last very long, so it's not worth the money." They simply don't know what we know, and how could they?

Have you ever seen the "Staples" commercial where "Dave" walks into his small business and is met by all the panicking employees? "I'm calling Dave!!" It's all you. The detailer, the sales guy, the janitor, the accountant, the IT guy, the loss prevention guy, the public spokesman, the shipping and recieving guy etc. etc. and on top of all that you have to be the guy who helps the customer determine which one of your services is best for them. You do this by first knowing the ins and outs of every level of detailing job there is, then targeting the right market, then educating and discussing with the perspective client what you can do for them and what might be best in their case and also dealing with the walk ins who know nothing about car care at all.

I bring all of this up because I know for fact that Anthony is dealing with all of this on the side of what he allows us to see here on these forums.

Kudos to you Anthony!!

This kind of insight also helps to prepare the new members "who want to start a detailing business" to see the other side of things, and I have only touched on the tip of the iceberg. I have been somewhat "auditioning" several perspective assistant detailers over the past few months and this process is very distracting to say the least. I've boiled it down to 2 outside independent contractors who are willing to come in from time to time to help me get out of a serious backlog of work.

There are a ton of decisions to make as you gain in workload and reputation, all of which will effect your future earnings as a detailing business. Good luck to all of you who are taking the leap into becoming a pro detailer. You thought you've learned a lot here at AG? That's just the first half of your education.

Thanks Anthony for the posting and inspiration in your time here at AG, it's been instrumental in helping me to make some of my own decisions as a pro detailer. TD

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up. I have learned quite a bit from the years I have been doing this. Just from my own info because I have never found a forum like this. When I found this place found all kinds of more help on here. I have been detailing since 2005. From 2005 to end of 2011 was part time 2 days a week. Then went full time at it 2012. Like B&B said word of mouth is great advertising. I have not advertised yet and have been very luckily that I have been real busy. I have never got to do an RV or a small Airplane until I went full time and had lots of fun doing something different.

You are right when you say GEL is way different than clear.. You can get away with alot more on gel coat. I work for Sea Ray Boats at there Sport Yacht plant buffing and spraying gel boats for 9 years. I was amazed with what you could get way with on gel coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Anthony! I appreciate your comments and taking the time to share it with others. You have been very helpful to me. There are PRO'S on this forum who I gain knowledge from just about every day.We have never met but I respect the knowledge and sincerity of your approach to detailing. It's just a hobby for me but maybe one day with the help of this forum I will be able to take it a step further.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Denver Colorado and it's hard to find new clients. I have been detailing for money for almost a year last month was my best month at just over 2 k in 7 cars. Most of my business is word of mouth but some people get freaked out when I tell them how much. My skills and ability justify the prices I am asking. How do you guys get new clients that are not from word of mouth.

Another problem I have is there's a new shop that opened up and the guy running it has a bunch of invested money to blow in order to get business. I have seen there work it's not even good they are hit and miss on the quality side of things the leave wax and polish residue all over cars. They tell customers what they want to hear not what is actually possible.

How do you guys Handel people like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billand View Post
    How do you guys get new clients that are not from word of mouth.
    I start talking to whoever will listen and hand out lots of cards. I try working with car repair establishments, servicing their cars and their clientele. It's good for both their establishment and mine. Their clientele begin talking.

How do you guys Handel people like this.
    Guys like this are a dime a dozen, They handle themselves and I handle my own standard of quality. I tell my clientele that I have no competition in this area because I provide a real customized and specialized service that changes from car to car and client to client, that I don't just throw the word "custom" around for marketing purposes.

I let them know that a large percentage of the detail center owners are managers that pay lower scale pay to a work force with a high turnover rate so they rarely get an expert working on their car, but rather inexperienced cheap labor payed to perform cookie cutter services to all cars regardless of the true need of the car or owner. This is absolutely true of a lot of detail centers and my clientele know it's true. Not just because I said it, but because they were there before they met me and started getting the custom, as needed service I provide.

It all works out through word of mouth but you have to sell what you do and if you believe in what you're selling, it practically sells itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast