autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions on Part Time Detailing

Hello everyone,

New to detailing, for money on others people's cars at least, and I have a few questions. My dad has a 60x40 pole barn, one of the garage doors leads into a hoist (not that it matters much for detailing), but figured I'd at least put that out there. I figured it was too good to pass up the opportunity of having a free place to detail. I won't have to pay any rent or electricity charges, and I will have a place to wash and detail cars along with storage for all my equipment.

I'm not getting too far into the plan or details of the work as of yet, I'm more just seeing if you guys see it as a good opportunity?

Also, for those of you who have done work out of your pole barn, what are some suggestions? Pros? Cons?

Any suggestions, ideas, advice, anything you have is appreciated.

Thank you!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on Part Time Detailing

You can detail a car anywhere if you have access to electricity and water. A business is not only about detailing though. A business is a business. You need to get customers first.

Have you tried posting on your local Craigslist or classifieds?

A detailing business can be started with just 2 buckets, air compressor, and a vacuum. If you're serious about selling your detailing services, I'd suggest working on the marketing side first.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course this is a great opportunity. But I have worked with many people in the detailing world both novice and expert, understand your geo. Get to know the market for what kind of services you're looking to provide. Are you in a higher-end market or more of a quick detail market.

Creating an air-tight landing page on your website and funnel from digital advertising will really allow your side gig to take off!
    Jackson Szuch

Post Thanks / Like

If it is an actual business then get with an accountant and have him/her set you up as an S corporation. Any income will go toward your personal income taxes and you can write off expenses. Another advantage with an S corporation is that your personal assets are protected in the event somebody wants to sue you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha772 View Post
    Hello everyone,

New to detailing, for money on others people's cars at least, and I have a few questions. My dad has a 60x40 pole barn, one of the garage doors leads into a hoist (not that it matters much for detailing), but figured I'd at least put that out there. I figured it was too good to pass up the opportunity of having a free place to detail. I won't have to pay any rent or electricity charges, and I will have a place to wash and detail cars along with storage for all my equipment.

I'm not getting too far into the plan or details of the work as of yet, I'm more just seeing if you guys see it as a good opportunity?

Also, for those of you who have done work out of your pole barn, what are some suggestions? Pros? Cons?

Any suggestions, ideas, advice, anything you have is appreciated.

Thank you!
    Having a spot is always a great benefit! I also detail part-time and I've found 80% of my jobs are mobile ! you have to figure out which service you would like to offer if you have a spot and can secure your clients coming there that's great - but you have to find your market to which will come in time... I started with a lot of messy interiors and basic ext wash but I am trying to concentrate on what I'd describe as a full job for example; wash, clay polish + full interior with shampoo (especially in Canada our salt stains are really bad)