autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Motorcycle detail

Today I coated a new client's car and when I was done he asked me how much I would charge to do the same to his motorcycle.

I have never detailled motorcycle so I have no idea how long it would take.

Any of you do this kind of work? If so, can you give me an idea how long each step usually takes?

He has a harley davidson, low rider config. So for the coating I am thinking tank, rear and front splash guards (what ever those things are called) and probably a small side pannel for the battery or something,

The bike has a ton of chrome. The entire engine is chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motorcycle detail

So no one does motorcycles?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a pro but have detailed a few bikes. There are million tight spots and hard to reach areas on bikes, so for a small as they are, a lot of time is needed to get into every area. Lots of places for water to hide and etch onto chrome. You'll also probably want to be able to get it raised off the ground for ease of working on it.
    There obviously isn't a lot of paint so not much coating would be needed, however maybe your coating could also work on all the chrome? Full size polishers are a real pain to work with on a bike. Not impossible but if you have an ibrid or griots mini, those would probably work much better.
    Also do not dress the tires at all on a motorcycle.
    Tim 2014 Ram 1500 2005 Triumph Tiger
    FLICKR Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

We use to do bikes all the time but since we got our new shop we tend to stay away from them. Now let me tell you the reason why, your thinking it's a bike it's small so it's easy and quicker to do but think again it takes just as long if not longer to do a bike as it does a sedan and second I charge around $500.00 to $700.00 to detail and coat a bike and customers that have no knowledge of the pro detail world just think that's a crazy price and waste my talk time and view/look over time. Anyway half the time they take it to local car wash with "detail shop" and they mess it up and bring it too me anyway and end up paying way more in the end but yea we tend to stay away from bikes now well at least new clients with bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

I price about the same as a car but it will depends on the bike too. If you can charge hourly that would be best. I honestly don't like doing them very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Bikes are unique in the way that you can find a way to detail every nook and cranny. It's the equivalent of someone pulling a V8 out from under the hood and now having to detail not only the entire car's engine but also the exposed engine bay. From 10 feet away a good wash makes a bike look detailed. Get 12 inches away and then the rabbit hole opens.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! See this post: LSN Auto Detailing - Victory and Indian Chief Classic

The key takeaways are:

1.) Have the owner close by in case any parts need to be removed, i.e. saddle bags, covers, etc. My difficulty is that I don't know how to remove these items and I'd rather the owner do it.
    2.) Be prepared to do lots of post polishing wipe downs in tight areas.
    3.) Know when to switch out tools and products. i.e. when to use the Rupes iBird or Flex PE8 vs a larger throw DA. A larger throw da can be used on the tank and big saddle bags, and large fender areas. Where as you'll need the smaller tools to get into the tight spots.
    4.) Chrome, chrome chrome... If it's in good shape, typically a wipe down will take care of it. If the chrome is in bad shape i.e. waterspots etc, be prepared to polish.
    5.) Clean the leather seats with a good NON slippery leather cleaner. DO NOT Condition the leather.
    6.) Spend a good amount of time on wheels, daytona speed brush works good.
    7.) DO NOT treat the tires with anything.

All in all it took over eight hours per bike, and honestly, I probably will never do it again, unless there is a good incentive.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a street glide about a month ago, didn't really want to because I've owned and done my own, and I know what it takes, but it was a friend. It took me about 9hrs, he was so shocked at how great it turned out he took it home and refuses to ride it now because he doesn't want to get it dirty lol. I hate telling ppl no, but my fingers and knees and back appreciate it when I decline motorcycles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the replies.

When the owner asked me to quote him a price, I said: "I have never done bikes before, so I am not sure how much I should charge you. My prices are based on products used and time, and I have no idea how long it would take. I would guess probably half of what I charged you for the car." He answer, "I was think less thant that".

So I told him I would enquire with people who do bikes and come back to him. Now, if all he wants is his painted parts coated, I am thinking that won't take very long. His bike was immaculate, he takes really good care of it. If he wants a detail on the entire bike, I don't think we will come to an agreement on price

I think I will quote him for 3 hours of work+products. I don't see how cleaning the paint, buffing it a little (it looked perfect), using the coating paint prep and then the coating can take me more than that.

And I can totaly see how hard it would be to sell details to a bike owner, they are so small compared to cars and it's already hard to get people to pay top dollars for a detail on a car. When I quote for SUVs or other large vehicles I can almost hear people falling down through the phone LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Bikes can take quite a bit of time to do them correctly, especially on the bigger bikes. I have done quite a few Harley's and they are typically priced just like a compact car or slightly more in some cases. Harley paint can be quite finicky, especially their Vivid Black. I can promise you that you will have at least double that time in doing it if not triple. I guess it all depends what level you want to take cleaning it to also though. Here are a few I did recently.