autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Encounter with a dealer

You were arguing with a door nail. You didn't get through to him one spec. Dealers only care about bottom line. We call dealer prep here doll-ups and I have to educate people on the difference between that and a detail.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Lol....On the other hand, I've had random people come up to me and either admire my car or see me detailing it and ask me what I'd charge "to do" theirs...

I'm not sure where I came up with the number, but I usually say $7000.

So far no takers.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the most appreciative people of the work that I do are middle class with a small amount of discretionary income who are used to detailing their own cars on a less in depth scale. They tend to appreciate what we we do and have an interest in a occassional slurge for quality work. They are also my favorite customers.

Post Thanks / Like

Rod73...

I agree with you!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    I found the most appreciative people of the work that I do are middle class with a small amount of discretionary income who are used to detailing their own cars on a less in depth scale. They tend to appreciate what we we do and have an interest in a occassional slurge for quality work. They are also my favorite customers.
    I agree 100% on this. I have 4 of what I would call "wealthy, super high end" clients. I could throw whatever number I want at them and they wouldn't bat an eye because they know what I am going to do with their car. The rest of my customers are referrals from customers ( I don't advertise at all as it is a super part-time gig ) and they all drive daily drivers. Every one of them has given me great commentary when the job is done. They also know the difference between a detail and a car wash rag wipe down.
    I think that is where some of the confusion lies. Not to get off topic, but we are all here talking shop. We discuss technique, product, customers, advertising, equipment, business models...you name it. We do a crap ton of research before applying a product to a vehicle. Most people think if you wash it with some dish soap, wipe the windows and door jamb with a filthy rag that was just used to wipe the armor all on the dash and tires that you have a detail. They simply don't understand the amount of time and effort we put in to LEARN about what we do before we ever touch their car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Detailers have a serious image problem. A friend of mine asked me about "perfecting the paint" on his new black Audi S4 which already has multiple bird crap etchings on the roof and hood. He stopped me mid-sentence to say, "wow, I thought it was maybe a few hundred bucks at the very most. Forget it."

This guy makes big money in software and has no problem dropping $70k on a disposable Audi, but was borderline offended that anyone would charge more than a few hundred dollars for paint correction.
    Nobody likes to overpay. So if in his mind, for what ever reason, the cost to polish a car is 150$, he will feel like you are overcharging him. There is nothing you can do. Let him shop around, get a cheap car wash style polishing and maybe you will see him again to fix the damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Lol....On the other hand, I've had random people come up to me and either admire my car or see me detailing it and ask me what I'd charge "to do" theirs...

I'm not sure where I came up with the number, but I usually say $7000.

So far no takers.
    I think your are a bit too expensive. Have you tried asking 6500$ instead?

Post Thanks / Like

Nahhh...6250 would be the sweet spot!

Tom

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to say though that I started taking on dealership work at a local used car dealer. He has me to the main cleaning of everything, and then he has another guy who comes in and and does leather repair as well as carpet dying. I don't know whether he is unusual in obtaining this level of detail, but he pays me very fairly and does understand the difference between a swirl and a squirrel. He also understands the effort needed to remove swirls and the time it takes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember dealers regular pressure wash the cars in the lot awaiting purchase. Water spots. What's a water spot?!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast