autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking calls while detailing a client's car

So, the title says it all.

What do you do when you are working on a customer's call and the phone keep ringing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking calls while detailing a client's car

Most retail stores would tell you to answer the phone even if you are standing FACE TO FACE with a customer. (I worked at AutoZone for 7 years and always hated doing that to people) but the reason is if someone is calling you and you dont answer then they will most likely call someone else.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I would personally silence my phone. Or set your phone to do not disturb, only allowing calls from selected contacts. If using your cell phone as a business line it would be hard. Yes, you may lose a customer once in awhile. However, don't lose your current customer by constantly checking/answering your phone.

Too distracting, taking your attention away from your current detail. Some customers will see it as rude, see it as you are on their time. Check your phone at selected times when you are away from the detail, at break time or when completed.

I would word my voice message to indicate that you may not answer your phone due to you currently being on a detail. Let the customer know that you will call them back.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, I guess it depends on hard up for work I am. If I'm running behind, and already booked a few weeks ahead, I'll let the voicemail get it. If I need work, I'll pick up even if I'm running behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking calls while detailing a client's car

Is this even a thing?

How many of you guys work with the customer standing around waiting for you to finish?

Take 3 minutes and answer your phone. People want to talk to humans, not voice mail.
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I'll always answer my phone when I'm on a detail, as long as i'm not buffing its pretty easy to multi-task. If i'm standing face to face with a customer sometimes I'll excuse myself and answer the phone other times I'll just let it go to voicemail. A lot of clients are business owners as well and they understand that the phone never stops ringing chances are the next time I'll be talking to them their phone will ring and they'll be the one walking away from me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTowel View Post
    Is this even a thing?

How many of you guys work with the customer standing around waiting for you to finish?

Take 3 minutes and answer your phone. People want to talk to humans, not voice mail.
    Fully agree. Even if your mobile, you are in fact at work. If you are with a client, answer to see what they want. If you feel its going to be longer then a few mins to make a sale. Say you are in the middle of a job and will call them back shortly. Unless you are turning away work because of how busy you are. A call is always potential!

Post Thanks / Like

I would never stop and take a phone call if I were face to face with a customer. I have been a 100% commissioned sales rep since 1991. It's disrespectful. You are basically saying to the person in front of you that whoever is calling you on the phone is more important than they are. If someone does that to me, I say to them thank you but you seem to have more important things to do than speak with me, have a nice day and I leave.

For example, I was presenting a quote to someone for a $100,000 packaging system. He was the owner of the company and his production manager was in the meeting too. What would happen if I stopped my presentation, said excuse me and took a phone call in the middle of our meeting. Do you think that man would buy the system from me. Heck no, he'd get up and walk out.

The most important customer is the one in front of you.

If you're working on a car and not face to face with a customer I'd take the call.

As someone mentioned, have a customer friendly voicemail recorded so they know you will call back.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Get a bluetooth earpiece and answer the call hands free and continue working.

I just went on a fishing charter the other day and that is exactly what the charter captain did the entire fishing trip.
    He must have made/taken 50 calls during our half day trip. 45 of the 50 calls were too/from other local charter captains though.
    they all talk and let each other know where the fish are biting and on what baits. They all help each other.
    He talked on the phone for most of the time we were out there, but he never stopped working and he got us all our limit of fish, so it was all good with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I would never stop and take a phone call if I were face to face with a customer. I have been a 100% commissioned sales rep since 1991. It's disrespectful. You are basically saying to the person in front of you that whoever is calling you on the phone is more important than they are. If someone does that to me, I say to them thank you but you seem to have more important things to do than speak with me, have a nice day and I leave.

For example, I was presenting a quote to someone for a $100,000 packaging system. He was the owner of the company and his production manager was in the meeting too. What would happen if I stopped my presentation, said excuse me and took a phone call in the middle of our meeting. Do you think that man would buy the system from me. Heck no, he'd get up and walk out.

The most important customer is the one in front of you.

If you're working on a car and not face to face with a customer I'd take the call.

As someone mentioned, have a customer friendly voicemail recorded so they know you will call back.

This!^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast