autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would you do

I would try the 45 minute commute.

Post Thanks / Like

So just ran into a customer of one of the $20 detailers. He drives a ss trailer blazer, had it fully corrected (it looked flawless, I couldn't find any swirls or scratches with my pocket light. And the owner said he only paid $60.. FML he also said the guy had the car for 5.5 hrs

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I know your current position is very frustrating, but as others have mentioned, over time, the other detailer will either raise his prices (he would be insane not too) or his work will diminish with time. So you may have some return clients over time.... OR he just took your area and will maintain that.

a 45 minute commute may be what it takes to start, but think about where your clients live/ work if you are mobile. You may end up having several high end clients in your area/ between you and the next town you could service.

The best advice/ education i have ever received was,
    "when you face objection, when your plan doesnt work, when you are down, assess the situation and create the solution!"

There are some great detailers and business men/ women on this forum that are committed to helping others, dont lose your mind just yet, weather the storm!
    Get Detailed!

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes they will lie about how much they paid for the job. I watched a man wash,interior,wax,etc..... for four hours at one of my landscaping jobs and asked how much he charges. He charged $30.00 and I confirmed with the lady who owned the car. It was a 1 year old black Infinity 4 door and came out nice. The man in his forties made his own wax that looked like bacon grease and even had debris in it that looked like bacon. I asked how he could work so cheap and he told me he had four kids and a criminal record and wanted to pay his bills without going back to prison. He said some days he makes $180.00-$200.00 if he can hustle up more work. He purposely worked slow on the $30.00 job in hopes of another resident asking to do theirs.He got a black ford crew-cab and made $40.00 in 3 hours. Have not seen him since. That lady now pays $40.00 for her washes and no wax done by two guys who are trashing her paint with a grout sponge and old rags to dry? Do you have mouths to feed and no savings? if so do what ever necessary to feed them legally. If not go knock on some doors until you have enough work and build your client base up. There were many good suggestions in this thread for you to try. Whatever you decide good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    Sometimes they will lie about how much they paid for the job. I watched a man wash,interior,wax,etc..... for four hours at one of my landscaping jobs and asked how much he charges. He charged $30.00 and I confirmed with the lady who owned the car. It was a 1 year old black Infinity 4 door and came out nice. The man in his forties made his own wax that looked like bacon grease and even had debris in it that looked like bacon. I asked how he could work so cheap and he told me he had four kids and a criminal record and wanted to pay his bills without going back to prison. He said some days he makes $180.00-$200.00 if he can hustle up more work. He purposely worked slow on the $30.00 job in hopes of another resident asking to do theirs.He got a black ford crew-cab and made $40.00 in 3 hours. Have not seen him since. That lady now pays $40.00 for her washes and no wax done by two guys who are trashing her paint with a grout sponge and old rags to dry? Do you have mouths to feed and no savings? if so do what ever necessary to feed them legally. If not go knock on some doors until you have enough work and build your client base up. There were many good suggestions in this thread for you to try. Whatever you decide good luck!
    Reading this makes me think... I hope there aren't any detailers getting harassed by snoopy tree huggers phoning the cops to try and cite them for not conserving water.

I understand it's a big issue in California, but there's no way it's justified to see any detailers out there who are simply trying to earn an honest living and working hard at it get cited and see their earnings get put to a halt because of a costly fine.

God bless all the detailers out there who take pride in their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Reading this makes me think... I hope there aren't any detailers getting harassed by snoopy tree huggers phoning the cops to try and cite them for not conserving water.

I understand it's a big issue in California, but there's no way it's justified to see any detailers out there who are simply trying to earn an honest living and working hard at it get cited and see their earnings get put to a halt because of a costly fine.

God bless all the detailers out there who take pride in their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I've been warned about water usage twice! The biggest was at a home that was part of an HOA. I've even almost been stopped for doing waterless washes

Post Thanks / Like

How long have you been in business and where are you located?

What are you currently doing for advertising?
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

2 years, Mojave desert and fb, face to face at car shows and race tracks and local car forums

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a website?
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    Do you have a website?
    Working on one, should launch by new years

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.