autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

For those that rent a shop or space

How did you go about finding your shop or space? Did you use a realtor, craigs-list or other realtor site for commercial property?
    How how long did it take to find the space that would work for you?
    Did you have to go through red-tape for zoning for auto-detailing etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those that rent a shop or space

I looked at your website, but couldn't find if you are currently primarily mobile, or working out of your own garage?

Never rented space myself. But my thoughts....

If you are primarily mobile and that model is working for your business, and you just "occasionally" need a shop or looking for shop space just in colder months or nights, I would visit any currently established shops/garages and see if you could negotiate a "per piece bay rental". This limits your overhead, liability and commitment to lease terms. I know of 2-3 shops near me that have multiple bays, and seldom do I see more than one bay in use at any given time. I suspect you may have some of these in your area, and the owner/renter would likely be happy to negotiate terms to help with his/her own overhead. Albeit this holds the potential of limited time slots and increased scheduling challenges.

On the other hand, I've browsed loopnet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    How did you go about finding your shop or space? Did you use a realtor, craigs-list or other realtor site for commercial property?
    If you want to be front and center I think a realtor may have more of a prominent spot.If you want back no exposure behind 9 buildings Craigslist has a lot.may cost more to be on a major rd,but you will build quickly from passing traffic good luck Paul.

Post Thanks / Like

Down here in fla its 250.00 for the county to come out and say yea or nea.

Post Thanks / Like

I have located mechanical rental bays within 30 minutes. Their hourly rates are important only from the standpoint of the obvious. Reduced profit. I have converted my garage here in Michigan to a detail bay. I applied for a state license and got it just in case the neighbors complain. I'll find more out next week about my homeowners insurance. Looking into insurance for the mobile part of my business for next spring through the fall. Anyway, I talked to the managers at both mechanical bay locations and they are okay with it. The 30 minutes to set up and another 30 to put everything back into my trailer or vehicle adds another hour. Time is money. Then the time to detail. 3 hours, 4 hours? Plus set up and take down. Rental bays do not appear to be much but I can assure you that it could cut your profits by 50%. But we will see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UTdetailing View Post
    I looked at your website, but couldn't find if you are currently primarily mobile, or working out of your own garage?

On the other hand, I've browsed loopnet
    That is done purposely for several reasons...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UTdetailing View Post
    I hope that didn't come across that I thought it was a bad thing.

That is done purposely for several reasons...
    Regardless, your work looks great! Hope you are able to find something that meets your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy98 View Post
    The 30 minutes to set up and another 30 to put everything back into my trailer or vehicle adds another hour. Time is money. Then the time to detail. 3 hours, 4 hours? Plus set up and take down. Rental bays do not appear to be much but I can assure you that it could cut your profits by 50%. But we will see what happens.
    That is a really good point and should not be discounted. Just out of curiosity (mainly because I consider starting my own "part time venture") is the 60 min of set up/take down time any different if you rented a bay, than at a clients location? To me it would seem all mobile operations would have to consider the set up/take down time.