autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Environmental Question

I believe that any manufacturer of any product must identify if it as hazardous with both an icon and on the label.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy98 View Post
    I believe that any manufacturer of any product must identify if it as hazardous with both an icon and on the label.
    You're mixing apples and oranges with RTK labelings vs. classification of waste vs. sewerability. I think drain cleaner is a pretty hazardous substance but by definition you can pour it down the drain.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec has it nailed. First determine if the cities you will work in have an MS4 (municipal separate storm sewer system) or combined sewer (this is becoming very rare). If MS4, then determine if the city has a individual NPDES permit or a general permit (this is a permit the city holds with the EPA); also determine if the city has a Stormwater Management Program (SWMP). The SWMP and NPDES permits will identify what can be discharged to storm sewer.

The sanitary authority for your area should have documents that identify when a permit is required for discharge to sanitary sewer.

In most cases, discharges from non-commercial car washing activities can be directed to turf areas to infiltrate. This may be a worthwhile discussion to have with the local regulatory authority.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Setec has it nailed.
    Ha, hardly. Clearly you are better versed in the subject.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Setec has it nailed. First determine if the cities you will work in have an MS4 (municipal separate storm sewer system) or combined sewer (this is becoming very rare). If MS4, then determine if the city has a individual NPDES permit or a general permit (this is a permit the city holds with the EPA); also determine if the city has a Stormwater Management Program (SWMP). The SWMP and NPDES permits will identify what can be discharged to storm sewer.

The sanitary authority for your area should have documents that identify when a permit is required for discharge to sanitary sewer.

In most cases, discharges from non-commercial car washing activities can be directed to turf areas to infiltrate. This may be a worthwhile discussion to have with the local regulatory authority.
    Thanks for the info! That put me onto a lot of (slightly confusing) research. I think I'm going to try and do no-rinse washes and steam cleaning to avoid causing any runoff. With time I'd like to get a good reclamation system that would allow the advantage of a power washer. At least that's my plan of attack as of now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12