autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: am I worthy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: am I worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Thoreson View Post
    I say we will be closed bc the owner is 67 years old, half blind and never wants to try anything new. We don't even have our name on the building or business cards to hand out. And I would love to do work on the side but with the kids and work, I'm up at 6 and home at 6. I have no time right now. Plus when I tell people I'm a detailer, they think I'm one of those guys that will charge you $150 to vacuum and smear up the windows. I wish there was a way to distinguish between people like us and that kid that works in the back at a dealership
    The best way to distinguish yourself from those other detailers is to learn from the wealth of knowledge on this forum and be able to use that knowledge to detail a vehicle to the standard that you are looking for. You can do that by working on your own vehicle a little at a time if you do not have time to work on customer vehicles right now. When you reach the point that you are comfortable with your process and results you can then explain to potential customers why your work is better than the shop down the street. With your present job you have potential future customers already, especially if the shop may be closing in the future.

Also, look at the samples thread on the forum. I'm sure you will find fellow geeks here who will be willing to send you samples of new products to try.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well right now I just want to say thank you to everyone so far. I know already I have come across a good group of people and with your help, I will be able to figure things out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well our prices started as flat rate but soon after I started, the boss just said this is how it's going to be. And yes I ment the pdq car wash.
    Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    I'm curious how you guys worked out the hourly rate setup with your wholesale dealer accounts? Most dealers around here seem to want some sort of flat rate which is way too low considering the condition of the vehicles that typically come from the auctions and customer trade-ins.
    The norm is 125.00 per car.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And how can you afford anything at 125? How many hours average is that?

Post Thanks / Like

>>>Of course you are worthy!<<<

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

And how can you afford anything at 125? How many hours average is that?
    There is a reason dealer lot cars are only around 60% clean when you pick up a second hand one.. And perhaps another 10% through applied materials to provide short term gloss / cover up...
    They have maybe 2 hours spent on them then onto the next one..

Expecting to perform the same work as for a private full day customer is a misalignment of expectations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

90% of the work I do is dealer. We spend an hour just washing and drying a car. They get the full treatment, wash vacuum, steamed, disinfected, scratch removal swirl removal,chip repair and wiped down. Charge 200 to 300 and it adds thousands to the resale value. Any dealer that is ok with the fast jobs isn't doing it right

Post Thanks / Like

90% of the work I do is dealer. We spend an hour just washing and drying a car. They get the full treatment, wash vacuum, steamed, disinfected, scratch removal swirl removal,chip repair and wiped down. Charge 200 to 300 and it adds thousands to the resale value. Any dealer that is ok with the fast jobs isn't doing it right
    Agree many aren't doing it right, and even many that are charging to do it right still aren't .... Sadly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123