autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: An idea for getting customers after just starting a business

Waxoff, I had pretty much this same idea after I thought about what everyone else said and it seems like one of the best ways for both parties to benefit
    I could also offer their employees discount incentives to refer people outside of work. I could give the employees 10% off if they refer someone and give the person they refer a 10% discount as well

Post Thanks / Like

Or you can give cash for paying referrals. My buddy used to give $20 for referrals that ended up with full details. That's actually less than giving them 10% off in most cases for work we did, and more appealing. They'll be on the ball a little more to get you customers. And you don't necessarily have to offer that to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, all of you guys who are
    saying you wouldn't want your car washed for free are not understanding the true nature of the OP's question. He didn't ask whether you Autogeeks want a free car detail/wash, he asked about the average customer. Average customers want it free and would be delighted. Proof as such is, everyone's suggestion to take the word, "Free" very carefully.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Okay, all of you guys who are
    saying you wouldn't want your car washed for free are not understanding the true nature of the OP's question. He didn't ask whether you Autogeeks want a free car detail/wash, he asked about the average customer. Average customers want it free and would be delighted. Proof as such is, everyone's suggestion to take the word, "Free" very carefully.
    I disagree. Reason being is that I'm under the impression that not just us, but most people don't like their cars touched by anyone without their knowledge or permission. Especially if it includes cleaning/vacuuming the interior.

What happens if he were to vacuum the interior and throw away an important reciept or an important phone #? Or accidentally run into someone's personal business? Or mess up someones dash or door panels by spraying the wrong kind of cleaner on the surface and stain it? Then what happens? How do you even begin to explain that scratch on the paint accidentally happened while some guy you don't know was simply trying to wash your car for you for free? It's best to not touch other peoples cars.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I disagree. Reason being is that I'm under the impression that not just us, but most people don't like their cars touched by anyone without their knowledge or permission. Especially if it includes cleaning/vacuuming the interior.

What happens if he were to vacuum the interior and throw away an important reciept or an important phone #? Or accidentally run into someone's personal business? Or mess up someones dash or door panels by spraying the wrong kind of cleaner on the surface and stain it? Then what happens? How do you even begin to explain that scratch on the paint accidentally happened while some guy you don't know was simply trying to wash your car for you for free? It's best to not touch other peoples cars.
    Both you and expdetailing have a point. It would just be a basic wash with no interior work, but some would like it and some would hate it. I don't think it's worth the risk of putting my name on it and then having multiple people get mad over someone touching their car without their knowledge.

However, I might be able to work out something with the shop where they ask the customer when they bring their car in if they want a free wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in a car dealer and most people are PIGS. If the car gets washed most of the time it's only when they bring it to get serviced. Granted there are those fanatics out there but in Pittsburgh clean cars aren't the norm. Sometime I don't even want to touch the steering wheel on some of them.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WAXOFF View Post
    I work in a car dealer and most people are PIGS. If the car gets washed most of the time it's only when they bring it to get serviced. Granted there are those fanatics out there but in Pittsburgh clean cars aren't the norm. Sometime I don't even want to touch the steering wheel on some of them.
    Most cars in my area are like that too, bunch of dirty daily drivers. And I guess washing those wouldn't really generate business anyways, at least not enough business for the time I spend doing it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12